U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Midwest
32,255 posts, read 20,062,915 times
Reputation: 8207

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Which means part of the answer here is better control over our Southern border.
Yes! We need to protect those in Mexico from the US's crazed, lone, white shooters crossing the border into Mexico and shooting them.

 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
 
7,643 posts, read 1,779,200 times
Reputation: 4229
This man is a hero.

God bless you, Glen Oakley.


 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
7,197 posts, read 6,415,746 times
Reputation: 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's not a gun problem. We've had guns in this country forever. In fact it used to be legal to buy full auto machine guns at Sears. Guns are not the problem.

We have a mental health problem.
We have a societal problem.
We have a family unit problem.
We have a community problem.
We have a politics problem.
We have a responsibility problem.
We have a media problem.
We have a morality problem.

What has gone so wrong where individuals make the rationalization that shooting a bunch of people minding their own business is acceptable and a good course of action???


As a society we are in social decline and decay.
Yes we know, it's everything BUT guns.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,947 posts, read 40,364,188 times
Reputation: 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
And there will be much hand wringing and prayers but not rea action. And by that I mean gun control. At this point I don't give a **** if you are one of the good ones, your buddies are causing chaos.
as we should have learned in grade school. A few bad apples get recess cancelled for everyone. Until this moron shot up Walmart, he was a law abiding good guy gun owner. There is no way to tell the good from the bad until the good go bad with certainty. But we can do better than just hand anyone who walks up a murder weapon. At a minimum, gun ownership needs to be permissive. Prove to me that you are responsible and you can have a gun.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,844 posts, read 1,046,623 times
Reputation: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Iím going to invest in a bulletproof vest company out there somewhere. May as well make money on this insanity.
Goodluck. I know in Florida, it's illegal to sell bullet proof vests to people who are not law enforcement.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:44 PM
 
12,778 posts, read 10,773,118 times
Reputation: 17796
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No it is not, you are making the augment that advancements in common technology is a reason to infringe upon someone's rights. If that argument applies to one right it applies to all of them. Just to add the gun technology we are discussing here has existed and been in the hands of civilians for more than a century. The 1911 is one of the most popular handguns on the market, want to take guess why they call it the 1911?



Now if you want to talk about reasonable limitations on what gun technology should be available to the general public it's pretty easy to identify. If law enforcement can justify it so can the general public.
It was a stupid comparison because the Second Amendment specifically says the right to bear "arms" which obviously means guns. The First Amendment does not use similar specific language, discussing pens or paper or any sort of technology about the means of producing or dispersing speech. It just says the government cannot abridge free speech (which by the way is not a weapon that is capable of hurting people, neither are any of the means means of speech though you used the phrase "assault ball point pen" which is obviously just absurd). You tried to compare apples and oranges.

Some people tend to predictably and simply point to the Second Amendment and basically say, "see it says we have the right to bear arms that should not be infringed, so there you go, we can have guns and the government can't take them away ever," and it ends there, without any critical thought into the context of the time period and what guns existed then and what other conditions were like then at the time. The guns themselves in the Second Amendment debate are the issue, probably even more than the actual right to have them which itself isn't necessarily the issue - because it gives the right to have guns but doesn't say what type or how many or most importantly in what situations mentally unstable people cannot have them. The issue is it considers no issues that have come up in modern times that have resulted in innocent people unnecessarily dying.

There is no similar issue or argument about speech for a reason, it is not a problem or controversy the way guns have become with the rise in mass shootings and high rates of gun violence - you just man a ridiculous strawman.

If you really want you can try to make whatever comparisons you want but this thread isn't about that so idk why you'd try to distract from the actual issue.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,769 posts, read 12,470,972 times
Reputation: 9012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What do you do if the families decide to leave punishment to their God and release him?
Their prerogative. To forgive - I think they must - but I can only say with my hit n run teens, I wanted them to see my son in hospital. Feel the pain one on one. Sit there and feel my anguish. my son survived n they were never charged for lack of evidence. My wish was that they saw what they caused.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM
 
1,762 posts, read 691,675 times
Reputation: 3472
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes we know, it's everything BUT guns.
I'm glad you agree with me.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,947 posts, read 40,364,188 times
Reputation: 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's not a gun problem. We've had guns in this country forever. In fact it used to be legal to buy full auto machine guns at Sears. Guns are not the problem.

We have a mental health problem.
We have a societal problem.
We have a family unit problem.
We have a community problem.
We have a politics problem.
We have a responsibility problem.
We have a media problem.
We have a morality problem.

What has gone so wrong where individuals make the rationalization that shooting a bunch of people minding their own business is acceptable and a good course of action???


As a society we are in social decline and decay.
With a country that is as effed up as that, it hardly makes sense to let its citizens carry guns around.
 
Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM
 
22,454 posts, read 17,108,524 times
Reputation: 9271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
With our incident in Orlando- they tried not to give count until met with families or contacted them. Hospitals will not confirm until then who died or not. I do hope only-1 if it must be any at all. sad from Orlando
A spokesperson at University Medical Center just now confirmed that so far only one person of the thirteen victims that they took in has died. None of the eleven people taken to Vista Del Sol medical Center has died. So at this point only one person has been reported to have died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top