Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I live in El Paso. I'm listening to the local news. At this point only one person has been confirmed dead. There are a reported 24 shooting victims in two hospitals. University Medical Center took 13 of the victims. Vista Del Sol took 11 of them. Of those 11, 9 are in critical but stable condition and 2 are in stable condition.
With our incident in Orlando- they tried not to give count until met with families or contacted them. Hospitals will not confirm until then who died or not. I do hope only-1 if it must be any at all. sad from Orlando

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
And there will be much hand wringing and prayers but not rea action. And by that I mean gun control. At this point I don't give a **** if you are one of the good ones, your buddies are causing chaos.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Glad you're safe Mike.

Something that I've thought about is this. The way we are raising kids over the last 20 years vs 40+ years ago is different. Many are given participation awards to make them feel good. Many are shielded from having to deal with real life problems by their parents. Many are being coddled to the point they can't even function in the real world. There are also some who cry mental illness for people to feel bad for them (yes I personally know someone like this ). They don't know how to deal with disappointments, when things are not handed to them...you name it, I could keep going.

I think a big portion of what we are seeing today is the direct result of parenting or lack of parenting.
Could be wrong though.
I don't disagree that many younger people have no idea how to function in society, and cannot handle any type of rejection, loss, or anything that does not agree with their ideological world view.

I don't believe that all mental illness is from genetics - meaning I don't believe that everyone who has one is born with it. I do believe that environment can play a factor in someone developing a mental illness. I'm not a psychologist so I won't be deliberating with anyone on how, exactly, that would cause someone to flip and start shooting many innocent people.

I do not disagree with you that some of that could absolutely have a hand in developing a mental illness - when someone has zero coping skills, it can cause their mind to malfunction - I firmly believe that.

By the way, where did you hear that rumor that more Targets and Wal-Marts would be shot up? I'd like to know because something that I do for fun when I'm not working, (although some consider this work) is one of those app jobs that has me doing a lot of people's shopping at Target. I'd prefer not to be shot up in the near future...or the far future, for that matter.

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
White = mental illness
Muslim = terrorist

Every report suggests that this guy is a white nationalist TERRORIST. He is not mentally ill. He was carrying out an act of violence with full knowledge of what he was doing and why he was doing it. He was likely inspired by all the hate sites on the internet and the intemperate words of our so-called president.

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
It's not a gun problem. We've had guns in this country forever. In fact it used to be legal to buy full auto machine guns at Sears. Guns are not the problem.

We have a mental health problem.
We have a societal problem.
We have a family unit problem.
We have a community problem.
We have a politics problem.
We have a responsibility problem.
We have a media problem.
We have a morality problem.

What has gone so wrong where individuals make the rationalization that shooting a bunch of people minding their own business is acceptable and a good course of action???

As a society we are in social decline and decay.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:41 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
government doing nothing!

Kind of like how they have let 30 million foreign invaders infiltrate (doing nothing), eh?

Let me guess...you want to confiscate weapons but you want our borders to remain open...

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Glad you're safe Mike.

Something that I've thought about is this. The way we are raising kids over the last 20 years vs 40+ years ago is different. Many are given participation awards to make them feel good. Many are shielded from having to deal with real life problems by their parents. Many are being coddled to the point they can't even function in the real world. There are also some who cry mental illness for people to feel bad for them (yes I personally know someone like this ). They don't know how to deal with disappointments, when things are not handed to them...you name it, I could keep going.

I think a big portion of what we are seeing today is the direct result of parenting or lack of parenting.
Could be wrong though.
You're mostly wrong. Bullying is what needs to be dealt with a lot better, if not outright banned. A kid shouldn't have to go through school being bullied much of the time just because he or she is a little different from the other kids. Bullying sometimes creates a lot of hatred and resentment against the world with a desire to get back violently.

To see how most of these shooters look like in person, could you resist bullying them? If the answer is yes, that is no excuse to be a bully!

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-03-2019 at 04:50 PM..

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Go to Walmart, get shot. Go to a garlic festival, get shot. Go to a concert, get shot. Go to church, get shot. Go to the movies, get shot. Go to work, get shot. Go to college, get shot. Go to high school, get shot. Go to first grade, get shot.

Welcome to America.

Don't forget the thousands of dollars of medical bills you'll owe if you survive.

I love this country but we have major issues to fix

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What do you do if the families decide to leave punishment to their God and release him?
Such fools don't exist.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
White = mental illness
Muslim = terrorist

I think it's pretty clear that most mass shooters have mental issues. Whether that is the case here remains to be seen. Muslim terrorists are ideologically driven, anyone can be turned into an ideologically driven terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies