Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You would think with 1,000 people supposed in the WalMart at the time of the shooting, a few of them had to have a gun attached to their hip, no?

Even if there was an armed security guard at the entrance/exit of this WalMart, the shooter could have easily just blown him away with a single shot, before the guard even had a chance to draw his gun.
He shot dead a group of people holding a fund raiser in the parking lot before he ever entered the store. People who carry carry for SELF defense. Generally they lack the reflexes needed to do what you expect they might.

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't disagree that many younger people have no idea how to function in society, and cannot handle any type of rejection, loss, or anything that does not agree with their ideological world view.

I don't believe that all mental illness is from genetics - meaning I don't believe that everyone who has one is born with it. I do believe that environment can play a factor in someone developing a mental illness. I'm not a psychologist so I won't be deliberating with anyone on how, exactly, that would cause someone to flip and start shooting many innocent people.

I do not disagree with you that some of that could absolutely have a hand in developing a mental illness - when someone has zero coping skills, it can cause their mind to malfunction - I firmly believe that.

By the way, where did you hear that rumor that more Targets and Wal-Marts would be shot up? I'd like to know because something that I do for fun when I'm not working, (although some consider this work) is one of those app jobs that has me doing a lot of people's shopping at Target. I'd prefer not to be shot up in the near future...or the far future, for that matter.
A friend who is stationed in the area said it was one of the many rumors that is flying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You're mostly wrong. Bullying is what needs to be dealt with a lot better, if not outright banned. A kid shouldn't have to go through school being bullied much of the time just because he or she is a little different from the other kids. Bullying sometimes creates a lot of hatred and resentment against the world with a desire to get back violently.

To see how most of these shooters look like in person, could you resist bullying them? If the answer is yes, that is no excuse to be a bully!
Bullying is only a drop in the hat. A friend of mine said her child said in a letter to a school about them letting him down and failing him (which I covered much in that post) that her son is the next school shooter because they did that to him. She has literally coddled and protected him from anything that disappointed him nor did she give him the tools to deal with said issues.

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Only law abiding people obey laws.

The vast majority of concealed carry people aren't looking for a gun fight but only to protect themselves and their families.

I'll bet money not a single person shot was a CHL holder armed at the time.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:36 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Does Trump's constant hate-speech against Mexicans and other people of color fan the flames of hatred that glow in the hearts of the white supremacists?

Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I saw a quick shot on tv of the line at the blood bank in El Paso - it’s almost a MILE long.

Good Texans standing out in the heat waiting hours to volunteer. I was real proud to see that. Then sad again that that’s what it took to bring people together today.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So what? I will ask the question again.

What does indiscriminately shooting people at a Wal-Mart have to do with "White nationalism"?
There are about 90 Walmart’s in Texas.
Shooter chose to make a 10 hour drive across Texas to the El Paso Walmart for a reason.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If all law-abiding citizens were allowed co carry a concealed weapon, and everybody knew they could, would someone planning to shoot up a Walmart be just as likely to go ahead anyway?

Most people still wouldn’t bother carrying, but a few would. And the shooter would’t know which ones in the crowd, they were.

Some of the shooters would likely change their minds and not do it in the first place.

And how many lives would be saved as a result, without a shot being fired?
I doubt if it would make much difference on the number of good guys carrying in states like Texas. Getting a CCW ain’t that difficult.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Does Trump's constant hate-speech against Mexicans and other people of color fan the flames of hatred that glow in the hearts of the white supremacists?
Liberals believe people who don't want open borders hate Mexicans.

They're such fools.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What does indiscriminately shooting people at a Wal-Mart have to do with "White nationalism"?
There were 350 white extremist terrorism attacks from 2011 through 2017. All indications are, that this is another one. But even if it's not, white nationalism is the leading cause of mass killings.

Attacks by White Extremists Are Growing. So Are Their Connections. - The New York Times

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree, as do every combat-experienced gunfighter I've heard from.

Some people believe open carry deters a criminal.

However, the fact is that if the criminal even notes you're carrying (most seem just to burst into a place intending to control the situation through shock and awe), he's the one who makes the decision of what to do about you and your weapon...without you even knowing.

He may be deterred. Or he may decide to take you out first. But you don't know. Or he might not even notice you're armed, but when he makes his move, it's the guy behind you who yells out, "You've got a gun! Do something!"

Again, someone else is making decisions about your weapon.

I'd rather be an unknown quantity, attracting no more notice than anyone else. I have no obligation to be the white knight. Most likely, I'm there with my wife, and my primary obligation is to get her out safely. I don't want anyone making decisions about my weapon except me.
I left TX and my license way before open carry. I was actually surprised they passed it. This is precisely some points that were brought up in discussion why it was necessary to conceal. As i said it stays holstered and hidden. My main concern is to exit immediately unless directly threatened.... Sorry but even if I see the shooter, I am not going to be a hero... Way too many unknown factors. When it is out an din the open, the pressure / assumption is it will be used.... You will be targeted not only by the shooter but other scared AND desperate.

Someone compared it to being near a drowning situation. Approaching has its risks.... The person in panic can very well pull you in and drown you in their desperate attempts to get out safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies