Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There again? I've never posted on this topic before.

According to the Mass Shootings in America database (Stanford Geospatial Center) a mass shooting is defined as:

- 3 fatal or nonfatal injuries (excluding shooter)
- location could be anywhere
- motivation of shooter is not identifiably related to gangs, drugs, or organized crime

Ahhh well that's completely different.

Apparently I'll be less dead if I'm shot by a gang member, drug dealer or a mobster then?

Tell me.......who made Stanford the sole arbiter of what constitutes a mass shooting?

Last edited by FatBob96; 08-05-2019 at 03:43 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 04:40 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Why do other first world countries not have this mass shooting problem?
Various reasons.........now they use rental vans or bombs. Next question?

Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Why do other first world countries not have this mass shooting problem?
Good question, as mental illness is not unique to the USA. Hmmm let me see...perhaps the key element in all mass shooting is that the individual was a “shooter”—they had easy access to assault weaponry and large-capacity magazines.

Now I can hear some individuals responding with the common refrain: Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. And yes, that is true. However, I would add: Guns just make it easier. Assault weapons make the deaths of dozens almost instantaneous.

Repeated slaughters, atrocities, mass violence, and domestic terrorism demand we all call for action. The time for community and legislative endeavor is long past overdue.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 08-05-2019 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 05:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Repeated massacres, atrocities, mass violence, and domestic terrorism demand we all call for action. The time for community and legislative action is long past overdue.
If you've been paying attention, countless new firearm laws have been passed since Columbine, but the killings continue. It's almost as if criminals aren't afraid to break the law, and the mentally ill aren't capable of thinking rationally.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
If you've been paying attention, countless new firearm laws have been passed since Columbine, but the killings continue. It's almost as if criminals aren't afraid to break the law, and the mentally ill aren't capable of thinking rationally.
I know the word has gone out signaling this week's narrative, for folks to use, from the gun lobby and the Republicans: stress mental health. ( this is rich since the current administration's policies have made obtaining mental health care far more difficult) I note that the other non-sensical point will be video games This is a transparent self serving message to take our eyes off the dramatic rise of White Nationalism in our country. Multiple other threads... check it out.

There is absolutely no doubt that since Columbine, there have been mass shootings where the mental health of the perpetrator was a primary issue. Health care is a human right, and access to mental health care is equally as important as physical health. The lack of mental health services for youth, for veterans, and for all represents a serious private and public health concern within the U.S.

Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominator—guns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaults—guns.

Re laws passed. To borrow your phrasing: have you been paying attention? Some have been repealed and others have myriad loopholes inserted throughout the years.

It is time for our political officials to put aside lobbied interests and focus on the evidence—mass shootings occur, and guns make these atrocities all too easy and frequent. Our politicians should not be rolling back gun restrictions but instead, look toward gun reforms now.

Such reforms should include a ban on assault weapons, ban on large-capacity magazines, universal background checks, stiffer licensing laws, red flag laws, and lifting of all Federal restrictions on gun violence research.

Peace!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 08-05-2019 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't care about political leanings unless the crime itself was political along the lines of their side. The fact remains that we have a mental health problem in this country that Congress doesn't want to fix and the President fails to do much with. Part of this includes how easily it is that guns are allowed to be accessed LEGALLY. Illegal gun access is a different story, but why on God's green Earth must we not make it harder for mental health patients to own guns?

Due process of law, part of the Constitution. If the government wants to remove someone's rights, they take them to a court. Period.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
First of all, when people know about the violent fantasies of these people becomes known, those in the know need to tell authorites and get them some psychological treatment.

2. I'd be all for making the background checks as stringent for rifles as for handguns.

3. Carry and be ready to use it.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:46 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Try as you might, you can't hide crazy. A lot of people just brush it off due to them actually caring for the person, and that's when it snowballs. There are quite a few on here who, if I heard them say in real life what they say in here, would be the first ones to get put on the authorities list if I worked with them or something.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:47 AM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of people grew up with huge chips on their shoulders. What our generation did not have was the internet/ social media, the common tools of self radicalization and depreciation.

I tend to view most of the sensational mass shootings as first and foremost suicide by cop or self inflicted. Taking as many others with is narcissistic fulfillment.
Libs tell people they should have a chip on their shoulder. What do they THINK is going to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Exactly, and lets start at the top .
Obama is already out, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Well that would exclude so many on the right on this forum. They have absolutely ran that phrase into the ground many times over. They love to say dems and libs are still butt hurt over the 2016 elections. I mean where have you been, because they use it more than anyone else because Trump won.
Are we seriously going to debate whether it's more on the left or right who use this phrase. Gawd.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
First of all, when people know about the violent fantasies of these people becomes known, those in the know need to tell authorites and get them some psychological treatment.

2. I'd be all for making the background checks as stringent for rifles as for handguns.

3. Carry and be ready to use it.
You know what's sad though? There are MULTIPLE reports by many people regarding Connor Betts (Dayton murderer). They reported his fantasies. He was even suspended from school for awhile due to having a "hit list" and a "rape list." MANY people knew about his dark side, and even contacted officials ,to no avail. That's a serious problem. And then, since so much of this happened when he was a minor, he was legally able to buy and own guns as soon as he became an adult.

I agree - I'm all for stringent background checks. I'm also for longer waiting periods. And I think we need to stipulate that ALL gun sales require a universal background check. We need to close the private sale loophole as much as possible. WE NEED TO HOLD PEOPLE CRIMINALLY LIABLE FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WITH THEIR GUNS as much as humanly possible.

I am licensed to carry and own several guns - which are by the way LOCKED UP in our safe. I am not a person who demonizes guns or responsible gun owners. But as a nation, we are absolutely awash with guns. As a law abiding citizen who owns guns, I understand the angst of potential gun legislation that could end up penalizing ONLY the people who are the least dangerous to society - people like me. I don't pretend to have the answers. But we need to open the dialog - and personally, I think the NRA needs to shut the hell up and let those of us whose only agenda is "Keep America Safe" talk among ourselves - I believe we can find some common ground regardless of political affiliation if we keep political and social agendas out of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies