Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Assault weapons have been banned since 1934....the shooting done with rifles were semi-auto hunting rifles which have been around for at least 60 years
It takes 1/2 second to change magazines...so banning "large" capacity would make zero difference
We already have universal background checks, they were pushed through by the NRA...over 80,000 people have violated that law. a felony, the government has prosecuted less than 1 percent
red flags laws have already been horribly abused
The last violence research done by the CDC under Obama showed that there were over a million defensive gun uses yearly.. it showed that a person legally carrying a gun was less likely to break the law than a cop...it was not anti-gun so it was not widely released.

Much of this was posted before and you decided to ignore it.
What? Ignore your word parsing repetitive opinion?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Here in Florida there are ten categories of persons who are not eligible to purchase or possess a firearm under federal law (Title 18, United States Code 922(g)(1)-(9), (n)):

1. Convicted of a felony (or equivalent)
2. Fugitive from justice
3. Unlawful user or addicted to a controlled substance
4. Adjudicated mentally defective or involuntarily committed to treatment
5. Illegal alien
6. Dishonorable discharge from the US Armed Forces
7. Renounced United States citizenship
8. Active protection order (restraining order, injunction for protection, etc.)
9. Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
10. Under indictment or information for a felony

So there already are laws to prohibit most 'bad guys' from obtaining a firearm. But I believe there is a major loophole that is being overlooked by law enforcement:

The main thing most of these shooters have in common is that they made threats of extreme violence online. Therefore, if we are to prevent these home-grown terrorists from killing, we have to take swift action when there are obvious Red Flags (online threats, personal threats, written manifestos, etc).

These threats need to be taken seriously, and an Injunction filed for Threat Of Violence. A Court Order should then be obtained to search the residence and remove all firearms until the offender has been through psychological evaluation, has been treated, and deemed no longer to be a threat. If threats are made again, the violator should be barred permanently from purchasing, owning, or even possessing a firearm with severe prison time if violated.

No reasonable, law-abiding, gun-owning citizen should object to this process, which would have made a difference in these latest shootings as well as others (Parkland, Columbine, etc)
AMEN AND AMEN and I totally agree!!!!!

Let's enforce the laws that are already on the books first. For instance, when a law abiding citizen reports a person who is already barred from possessing a firearm, under Federal law, as POSSESSING A FIREARM, regardless of whether or not threats have been made, LAW ENFORCEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION. When someone reports threats made online or in person or whatever, LAW ENFORCEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION. If the person is a minor, THEY STILL NEED TO BE TRACKED AND POSSIBLY BARRED FROM GUN POSSESSION till they are well into adulthood with no offenses. A sixteen year old making threats against their school is not going to suddenly "get better" two years later.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
What? Ignore your word parsing repetitive opinion?
Not opinion, just facts.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Not opinion, just facts.
Cherry picked and as inaccurate as they may be.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Mental health care.
Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominator—guns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaults—guns.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Support mental health care reform. Stop being scared to lock these crazies up, they are ruining lives.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
AMEN AND AMEN and I totally agree!!!!!

Let's enforce the laws that are already on the books first. For instance, when a law abiding citizen reports a person who is already barred from possessing a firearm, under Federal law, as POSSESSING A FIREARM, regardless of whether or not threats have been made, LAW ENFORCEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION. When someone reports threats made online or in person or whatever, LAW ENFORCEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION. If the person is a minor, THEY STILL NEED TO BE TRACKED AND POSSIBLY BARRED FROM GUN POSSESSION till they are well into adulthood with no offenses. A sixteen year old making threats against their school is not going to suddenly "get better" two years later.

I have personal experience with this. An LE failure to act on a report a friend and I gave them resulted in an attempted murder. I was working in my friends gun store helping him out. This guy we both know well came in trying to buy a gun.

We both knew he was a two time convicted felon on drug, domestic violence and weapons charges. This cretin is a major fleabag. Of course we denied the sale and reported the attempt to the cops. He should have been immediately arrested for parole violation. He was not even supposed to walk into the shop let alone try and buy a gun. And we had the denied BC paperwork to show.

The cops didn't do a bloody thing and he got a weapon off the street and tried to kill his ex girlfriend. Oh he got arrested then. But the cops could have headed that off with what we gave them. I guess they were to busy with other matters than a two time violent felon trying to buy a gun and violating his parole. But we DID report it as we were required to do and had official records to back that up.

If the cops don't act on things like that and these scum bags get a gun and try to kill people how is that MY fault as a law abiding gun owner? How does the finger get pointed at me? But it does. These gun o phobic types can put that in their pipe and smoke it. Put the blame where it belongs and leave me alone.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Cherry picked and as inaccurate as they may be.
All off of the FBI and CDC websites. You don't want proof. You just want to argue.
Most of the mass shootings that the media posts could have been prevented if the government did its job.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have personal experience with this. An LE failure to act on a report a friend and I gave them resulted in an attempted murder. I was working in my friends gun store helping him out. This guy we both know well came in trying to buy a gun.

We both knew he was a two time convicted felon on drug, domestic violence and weapons charges. This cretin is a major fleabag. Of course we denied the sale and reported the attempt to the cops. He should have been immediately arrested for parole violation. He was not even supposed to walk into the shop let alone try and buy a gun. And we had the denied BC paperwork to show.

The cops didn't do a bloody thing and he got a weapon off the street and tried to kill his ex girlfriend. Oh he got arrested then. But the cops could have headed that off with what we gave them. I guess they were to busy with other matters than a two time violent felon trying to buy a gun and violating his parole. But we DID report it as we were required to do and had official records to back that up.

If the cops don't act on things like that and these scum bags get a gun and try to kill people how is that MY fault as a law abiding gun owner? How does the finger get pointed at me? But it does. These gun o phobic types can put that in their pipe and smoke it. Put the blame where it belongs and leave me alone.
The Parkland shooter had been reported over 30 times, they did nothing.
The nightclub shooter had been reported to the FBI by a gun store, they did nothing.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
All off of the FBI and CDC websites. You don't want proof. You just want to argue.
Most of the mass shootings that the media posts could have been prevented if the government did its job.

This^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies