Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

No, but I think if someone is already off, violent video games can desensitize and glorify killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Lack of personal responsibility, entitlement, never being told or being able to accept "no" for an answer, being over-medicated by Big Pharma from diapers onward, negative influences of social media, lack of quality parenting and lack of quality positive outlets in society are far bigger contributors.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Anything that you put into your mind will have an effect on your perceptions. There was a time that I was shocked by ultra-violent images but I've seen so much of it now that it really doesn't phase me.

Now do violent games and movies make people more violent? It doesn't for the vast majority of people but on the margins, those people who have mental issues or low mental capacity, it probably has a negative effect.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
By itself? Likely no.

It can be included in a toxic soup of variables that lead people to do harm.

I do think the totality of violent images in movies, TV, social media, and video games play a part in this this.

Do we forget that immature humans have access to all of this violence? We used to shield kids from adult situations, because they were adult situations that required maturity to process properly. Now kids can see all of this violence. Now they are growing up.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
No

Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Walmart thinks so.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:24 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Well it's probably not good if you are addicted to it, right? Some of these guys were loners who sat in their parent's houses and played all day. Which came first, the illness or the games? At first I was going to say no, but perhaps it's a contributing factor.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:24 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Violent games, movies, music can maybe influence gang membership in poverty areas, but I don’t see it having a major impact. When it comes to mass shooting I see no impact. Mass shootings has more to do with bullying and crazy upbringing IMO.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:28 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I know there have been many scientific studies on this topic. If one is interested in the answer, maybe that is what to look into, rather than C-D.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
Games nor guns cause it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies