Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You know what's gonna cost us countless trillions more over the coming years? Providing a military deterrent/counterbalance to a rapidly militarizing China whose military technology is rapidly catching up to ours thanks to our previous policy of basically handing that technology over to them or doing nothing while they steal it. So cry me a river because we have a President who is finally at least trying to put an end to the technology hand-off and hold China to account for its unrepentant intellectual property theft.
What exactly is Trump doing to put an end to the technology hand-off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:49 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In all fairness, it is costing China billions too. For us, Trump gave us this self inflicted wound, and probably slowed down our good economy unnecessarily. Time will tell.
I know it's a two-way street for sure. His approach to it I feel has been a detrimental one, but as you say, time will tell. I personally don't believe in a school yard bully approach to such matters.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Chinese own America. all the big box stores are full of chinese product,half the stuff in Super markets come from Chins, most of your electronics come from China. and you want to slap tarrifs on all their exports? only a dummy like trump could think that course of action would work. How would i fix your percieved problem? id leave well enough alone.
Great so you would do nothing then. You are perfectly fine with China taking advantage of the United States.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Mr Trump, POTUS, Businessman.

If this was a competition I’d say China is beating the snot out of the U.S. Expected seeing who the coach is.
And you know this how? By listening to your MSM mentors? Stop being a parrot, do some research on your own and when you make a claim... add some citation to back it up. Otherwise you’re just another talking head.
No charge for the advice. Your welcome.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
And you know this how? By listening to your MSM mentors? Stop being a parrot, do some research on your own and when you make a claim... add some citation to back it up. Otherwise you’re just another talking head.
No charge for the advice. Your welcome.
Whatever. Plenty of info out there. Here's just one.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...r-china-2019-8

That push for tariffs is deflecting the root problems of the U.S. doing business with China, and that's not doing nearly enough to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. to begin lessening the reliance on China for product.

I purchased several items from Indiegogo and Kickstarter lately and have seen a common theme, that being all these startups are having their products manufactured in China because it's cost restrictive in the states with costs of doing business (insurance etc). Not enough tax breaks and kickbacks to startups to build in America. It's sad, and focusing on tariffs does nothing for our future of a healthy self-sufficient country.

And I wouldn't pay for you advice anyways

Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Great so you would do nothing then. You are perfectly fine with China taking advantage of the United States.
Then why didn't he implement the tariffs that he has postponed until December? It's because he's FINALLY realizing that the trade war is hurting consumers. He'll stand up to China until it affects his own portfolio and re-election chances. I'm sure with all the money he's given farmers though, there's probably not enough to bail out the rest of us.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:09 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
I know it's a two-way street for sure. His approach to it I feel has been a detrimental one, but as you say, time will tell. I personally don't believe in a school yard bully approach to such matters.
I'm with you on all that. That's all his great "negotiating skills" are, bullying. He was notorious for it running (ruining) his businesses. I'm not sure how dumb you have to be to think you can do that to other countries, but... pretty darn dumb.

As a country we spent decades wooing China so they did not become allies with Russia.... then Trump pushes them together. Plus, he is doing absolutely nothing on their stealing tech. We never have, but that's because the companies who complain, do not want to be a party to the investigation, because they want to continue doing business, and the government acquiesced.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Seems to be working fine as China is filling all the stores with cheap affordable merchandice and buying much in what our farmers produce, China is generally good for business.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Mr Trump, POTUS, Businessman.

If this was a competition I’d say China is beating the snot out of the U.S. Expected seeing who the coach is.
It's hurting China more, and we can out wait them as other countries ramp up production.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What exactly is Trump doing to put an end to the technology hand-off?
He's trying to curtail China's policy of requiring foreign companies to partner with and/or share technology with Chinese companies (often state-owned) as a condition of doing business in China. They've already given ground on automotive and aerospace manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies