Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 03:46 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why aren't they in prison then? ......unless that means that those being re-educated, haven't actually committed a crime.
And then y'all would be complaining about how much more repressive and oppressive the PRC is

Chinese law is broad in such a way that the government would be legally justified (albeit not morally so) in imprisoning everyone they have in those reeducation camps; but to be clear, only a fraction of the regions' Muslims are in those camps, so there had to be some deliberative process for choosing who to make attend.

Bottom line is that the PRC is handling the threat from Islamist extremists in its country much less harshly than it could be.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I bring this up because I want to make that same comparison to the protests, and someone suggesting that Beijing crack down and get really hard with Hong Kong. I thought Americans were suppose to be against Communist governments and their dictatorial crack downs. Next thing you know, we'll have individuals who try to make excuses for the Tiananmen Square massacre. No one really respects a dictator or the violent strongmen out there. People fear such people. When you respect someone, you don't want to let that person down.

Angela Merkel and Vladimir Putin. Based on what I know, I have more respect for Merkel than Putin.
It seems that we have what's called a "fenqing" - a young Chinese poster who advocates a highly aggressive form of Chinese nationalism - in our midst.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And then y'all would be complaining about how much more repressive and oppressive the PRC is

Chinese law is broad in such a way that the government would be legally justified (albeit not morally so) in imprisoning everyone they have in those reeducation camps; but to be clear, only a fraction of the regions' Muslims are in those camps, so there had to be some deliberative process for choosing who to make attend.

Bottom line is that the PRC is handling the threat from Islamist extremists in its country much less harshly than it could be.
Criminals belong in prisons, but what are re education camps for? -to stop you doing something you haven't yet done? - for maintaining the political status quo (protecting the party)

Muslims are just the latest to be re educated -I'm guessing a few from Hong Kong will be getting a re education, once the tanks have gone in.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Criminals belong in prisons, but what are re education camps for? -to stop you doing something you haven't yet done? - for maintaining the political status quo (protecting the party)

Muslims are just the latest to be re educated -I'm guessing a few from Hong Kong will be getting a re education, once the tanks have gone in.
Like them or not, China has seemingly had fewer terrorist attacks in its troubled regions since the PRC introduced reeducation camps, so they have to be having some kind of positive result.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It seems that we have what's called a "fenqing" - a young Chinese poster who advocates a highly aggressive form of Chinese nationalism - in our midst.
Could be the case. In my opinion, I don't think that's the case. I feel like there are individuals who are increasingly in favor of authoritarian ways of governing. There is a difference between enforceing the law (rule of law) and authoritarian rule. The law is suppose to be for the good of the people in a country, not for the good of the party.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
I suspect many are random - reports vary, but whatever the exact number is, they can't have all been directly involved in killings or plots.
No. Even the state-run media say they are not involved in plots, otherwise they go to jail directly. They are just "influenced" according to the state-run media.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:

China has a tradition of ideology control/forming, nothing surprising if you are familiar with China.
My parents needed to attend a "political studying" every Thursday afternoon. Everyone did it so it was just normal.

For the Xinjiang re-education camp issue, nobody can really know the details. However China monitors their emails and cell phones, so they may have some information outsiders do not know.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
My parents needed to attend a "political studying" every Thursday afternoon. Everyone did it so it was just normal.
It's always interesting to see what can become seen as "normal". Political studying sessons on pain of incarceration or other penalty are not "normal".

Then again, my former city of Chicago uses city workers for private work on politically connected peoples homes, to fund raise for them (or face repercussions) and so forth so I guess the elite using oppressive tactics on the masses is closer to home than some people think, even if not to the same degree.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's always interesting to see what can become seen as "normal". Political studying sessons on pain of incarceration or other penalty are not "normal".

Then again, my former city of Chicago uses city workers for private work on politically connected peoples homes, to fund raise for them (or face repercussions) and so forth so I guess the elite using oppressive tactics on the masses is closer to home than some people think, even if not to the same degree.
The "political studying" was not that bad. Usually a cadre read some news or explained some new policy. The audience often did their own work or just relaxed. It was also a way for people to socialize. The idea came from the Soviet Union, and originated from Christian/Judaic church.

As pupils, we got half a day off.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
China's propaganda Twitter cites US policing style as a model for cracking down on Hong Kong protesters:

https://twitter.com/CCTV/status/1163075141330358272

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies