Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times

Advertisements

Gillette was already in trouble, but to go all SJW on its consumer base was inexcusable. Their over-engineering of its product-line has also been exasperating. Their 5-blade shavers are SO flexible that you can't get a close shave under the nose area or around the upper chin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Gillette was already in trouble, but to go all SJW on its consumer base was inexcusable. Their over-engineering of its product-line has also been exasperating. Their 5-blade shavers are SO flexible that you can't get a close shave under the nose area or around the upper chin.
I wished someone made an exact copy of the Gillette Sensor, and that was less than $2+ a cartridge. The Sensor was the best razor with just 2 blades.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Gillette was just listening to their Woke marketing team, and bet wrong.
That is just it. Why would executives of that or any company accept the marketing proposals of companies that will not only fail to attract new customers, but in fact alienate their core customer base?

In years gone by if Joe Blow employee embarks on a poor advertising idea, it is shot down by the powers that be, and he is demoted and/or fired.
Yet today many of these companies are convinced to "virtue signal" to small constituencies that will likely not even buy their products in the short, much less the long run.
In the interim, they alienate their loyal customers, many of which will never return.

I cannot even tell you what a pain in the rear it is to now boycott all Procter & Gamble products because of their SJW and anti-male advertising campaign with Gillette products.
But I walk the walk and our family now avoids most of what they offer for purchase.

The same is true of the lifelong purchasers of jeans we use to buy from Levi.
The funny thing is when you go looking for new products you might not have otherwise tried, you find those products are as good or even better. This without them looking to offend you from an ideological or political perspective.
In the case of jeans, Duluth now has my business, and I do not give a flip about what happens to the Levi company. The founders are probably spinning in their graves.

Levi's, Dick's, Procter & Gamble and others will reap what they have sowed.

`

Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I wished someone made an exact copy of the Gillette Sensor, and that was less than $2+ a cartridge. The Sensor was the best razor with just 2 blades.
I agree. I have an old 25-pack of the 2-blade Sensor Excel razors that I just opened up. Think I picked it up at a SAM's CLUB years ago. All these new shavers are too expensive & too complicated.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Nice to see there’s some real men left in the world. Thank God.
Having taken note of your stated location being California I can understand why you may think not many real men are out there. I do believe however that in much of America outside the Uber leftist regions most men are still men, most women are still women. That is in fact why so many revolted against Gillette. The SJWs still have not got the message that most of us like things the way they were....masculine men and feminine ladies. God made us this way for a reason, men and women are supposed to be different in a way that they compliment each other. This is what makes the family work. When we blur those lines we get the mess our society has become now. My gosh we have people who do t know what bathrooms to use Restoration of our traditional gender roles would be step one, one of many that we need to take in order to begin undoing the damage done by leftist social engineers.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:09 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
They forgot the ultimate purpose of advertising which is to market a product, not an ideology. What the ad seemed to say is that men are sexist pigs who are also violent bullies. No one disputes that there are men like that but it seemed to say that virtually all white men were like that and no non-white men were like that. OK, I’m white (well, reddish), I’m a guy, and I feel insulted by the commercial. Why should I purchase a product from a company I feel has insulted me based upon my gender and skin color? Don’t insult your potential customers! Do these executives live and work only in the areas like NYC, LA, or SanFran type areas?

Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
p&g took a 12 billion impairment write down. in the very best case scenario for them the article simply failed to attract business. you don't take a risk like they did and not expect a payoff. even in the best case scenario it was a total failure.
Goodwill and impairment (the inverse) are hard to quantify on accounting statements. One person can quantify say Gillette at $10b and another can at $5b. None are really wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Are you sure that at least some of these losses aren't due to just about every guy growing a beard these days?

Gillette has been on the decline for at least the last three years. It's not like the ad campaign caused a 12 billion dollar loss overnight.
Yeah. With Harry's and Bromley being sold in stores now and even DE and straight razor communities, Gillette has taken a hit because of high prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Like NFL they over played their hand
Real men do matter
I think that they tried to get one segment while they alienated another. Why can't ad companies do commericals similar to Coke's "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" where it is political, but not divisive? Is it culture today or do ad companies want to push the button and not be safe these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Someone should have told them that offending the demographic you're trying to sell to is never a good idea.
The issue is there are men who realize that there are faults with "man logic" like me. Is this big, no. The problem today is social media lets things like these become far bigger stories than they need to be. I mean the Pepsi had their tone-deaf "BLM-like" commercial with Kendall Jenner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We should not let up the pressure because they are backing down. The blood is in the water, time to finish them off. The corporate world needs to be sent a message that the so called silent majority will not allow corporations to be used as a platform for leftists to make their case. When P&G sells off a worthless Gillette company or it is dissolved all together then we will have achieved our goal. When we are done Gillette should no longer exist. Leftism will not be tolerated.
I'm not sure if Gillette should exist or not. I agree, they are too big for their britches. I posted in a previous topic reply that Gillette is over-priced and rivaled by a larger number of competitors and I'm not even talking about Shick or even Barbasol, Dorco or homebrands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Daniel, you sound like a punitive liberal with this. Revenge politics, revenge consumerism, revenge anything is unnecessary and evil. They've already taken a hit and learned their lesson. That's good enough.
No it is punitive conservatives. Look at the whole NRA-gate or NFL for "supporting kneelers" (which they neither supported nor truly went against it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not revenge.....I’m talking about making an example of them. This is a deterrent action to prevent this behavior in the future from other corporations who think going “woke” is a good idea.
Oh boy this is great. I hope that you are fine when the next company that posts something anti-gay or pro-NRA or whatever you stand behind that. Otherwise you are a partisan hypocrit.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I use "Harry's" razors. They cost about half what Gillette does and seem to be just as good or better. It had nothing to do with their marketing; their product is overpriced.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:30 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
hilarious!

So, let me get this straight.... They **** off a majority of their customers and gloat in it. Then, their profits sink and they want to change their marketing campaign and try to make everyone forget what they did and have us all forget what their real honest beliefs are and just go back to them. Lolololol

Good F'ing luck Gillette. I'm done forever and so are most people you pissed off.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:08 AM

34,233 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Big corporations hire big city marketing and advertising people. They believe everyone thinks like them, so promote these anti Male "WOKE" campaigns they believe will be successful, because they believe in it. Well surprise, surprise. A lot of men don't buy into WHITE MALE GUILT and that all men are bad, especially White Men. Pound sand Gillette.

The free market is a harsh school master. They were just schooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies