Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
All this OH ROLL BACK GAY MARRIAGE CRAP is very annoying, though. It's not happening. I don't care if we get 9 Scalias on there.

Agreed Roe/Wade is settled law but its the lefts current boogeyman in the SC....man on here said God knows how many times it was going to be repealed if Kavanaugh(go back and read the multiple threads on him if you want sources) gets confirmed and guess what today..it is still settled law.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Agreed Roe/Wade is settled law but its the lefts current boogeyman in the SC....man on here said God knows how many times it was going to be repealed if Kavanaugh(go back and read the multiple threads on him if you want sources) gets confirmed and guess what today..it is still settled law.
And yet how many states are drafting laws that fly in the face of Roe Wade?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And yet how many states are drafting laws that fly in the face of Roe Wade?
Way too many to count.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:30 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Abortion rights will be trampled on (currently are)
How are they currently being trampled?

Personally I think RBG should have retired years ago. But I wish her the best in her struggle with cancer.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:45 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
"Kavanaugh has already provided the decisive vote in eight 5-4 rulings with a traditional ideological split, including cases related to immigrant detention, the death penalty and sovereign immunity. In one of the most hotly anticipated cases of the term, he and the other conservatives decided that partisan gerrymandering of legislative districts isn’t reviewable by federal courts. And over the coming years, Kavanaugh will wield enormous power as the new, more conservative court takes up pivotal subjects like environmental regulations, guns and religious liberty."

I see nothing there that shows he has surprises those of us on the left. He's far right just like Gorsuch and Thomas and Alito.
Instead of far right or far left, how about we focus on who can stick to the original meaning of the constitution?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
How are they currently being trampled?

Personally I think RBG should have retired years ago. But I wish her the best in her struggle with cancer.
See the new laws passed recently in GA, AL, TX, OH, ND and on and on.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
The poor woman looks so tiny and fragile. A gust of wind would knock her over. Hope she retires and spends some happy remaining time with her family.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
We're in the final year of a presidency so we can't fill the position and have to wait for the election results right PUBS? Thats how this works right?

Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Way too many to count.

You cannot count to 57? (yes I know....)

Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
All this OH ROLL BACK GAY MARRIAGE CRAP is very annoying, though. It's not happening. I don't care if we get 9 Scalias on there.

The Government can't just void how many hundreds of thousands of marriages.....can you imagine how tied up the courts would be with everyone suing? So if the marriage wasn't valid, who gets what that they bought together in the divorce? That's just one of a million reasons why they won't touch it. Well more than half of Americans support it, anyway.

Same sex marriage isn't going anywhere. It was settled 4 years ago. The Pat Robertsons of the world can get get the **** over it. Most republicans don't even care. Just cause they don't go to pride parades it doesn't make them bigots.

I'm in one, just btw. Not worried one bit.

Edit: My irritability wasn't directed at you, this is just an issue that really gets under my skin because it would never happen.
I agree. Same sex marriage isn't going anywhere. Now, with a solidly conservative Supreme Court, don't expect LGBT rights to be further expanded. But that's hardly the same as ditching same sex marriage. The precedent is too new.

Now, Roe v. Wade has never been settled law and its always been under attack as it has no foundation within the Constitution. A 6th conservative vote on the Supreme Court would essentially gut Roe, which is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies