Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Lab Grown artificial meat and hydroponics are going to change how our food is sourced.

Dr Madsen Pirie, president of the Adam Smith Institute, said switching to lab-grown meat would have a huge impact -"We can produce the same amount of meat in factories on 1% of the land it presently takes us to do it," he said.

The same is also true of hydroponics, where plants are massed produced in water in greenhouses, and can produce vast yields on relatively small areas of land using remewable enery such as solar power and other renewables as an energy source.

Lab-grown meat is the future and environmentally friendly says think tank - Sky News

Artificial meat: UK scientists growing 'bacon' in labs - BBC News

Water-smart farming: how hydroponics and drip irrigation are feeding Australia - The Guardian

Could hi-tech Netherlands-style farming feed the world? | DW

Thanet Earth completes construction of their 6th greenhouse in Kent, England - Fresh Plaza

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-24-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 08:20 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Sorry, I hate most beans and I don't like vegetables enough to make them a large part of my diet.. I eat them because I know they're good for me, but they take up too much valuable real estate on the plate next to the pork chops and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:29 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Sorry, I hate most beans and I don't like vegetables enough to make them a large part of my diet.. I eat them because I know they're good for me, but they take up too much valuable real estate on the plate next to the pork chops and mashed potatoes and gravy.
I don't shy away from meat but I sometimes make own veggie burgers with chick peas, onions, and spices in a processor...they're actually pretty damned good.

btw veggies should be taking up the MOST real estate on your plate, meat should be last.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Besides moral issues to how animals are raised and slaughtered by meat companies...

That is actually a health issue. Why aren't more consumers demanding better than factory-farmed meat?
Consumers are not getting good essential nutrients from poorly raised animals on artificial diets and antibiotics. Stop buying that crap and making yourselves sick. If there is little to no demand for it, the supply dries up. Buy naturally and humanely raised meat and, yes, eat less of it. Nutrients in healthy meat are necessary for human health and, no, synthetic nutrients are not good enough.

Quote:
There are efficiency issues that tie into pollution and land use.

The world's population is growing. America's population is growing. We need more and more food.

Plants to eat are simply more efficient and cleaner for the environment than meat.
What do you do during the off-season when plants cannot be grown here? As it is now, most of our year-round produce comes from third world countries which would have to increase. How is shipping in plants from far away lands more efficient and cleaner for the environment? Not to mention, they are nutritionally degraded by the time they are distributed to supermarkets around the country, contributing further to health problems.

Quote:
Jump for soy!
Nonfermented soy is extremely bad for human health. Soy is also the most pesticide contaminated crop.

Americans demand fresh fruits and vegetables 365 days a year but cannot be grown here 365 days a year. Eat locally and regionally grown produce when in season and preserve the ones you can for the off-season. If Americans demanded better quality food, growers would step up to meet the demand, and pricing would be much more competitive.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Soy isn’t an option for many since it’s one of the most prevalent food allergies. I’m not a red meat eater, but having a soy allergy means poultry, eggs, pork, fish and seafood are going to continue to be part of my regular diet. Yeah, yeah I know I could eat beans for protein instead but life’s too darn short to subsist on something you have to choke down.
Most of my in-laws (DH's family, not DH) were/are Seventh Day Adventists, and are strict vegetarians as a tenet of their religion. DH was raised an SDA and vegetarian as well. He stopped being both when he turned 18 and moved out on his own. The first meat he sampled then was mostly McDonalds Big Macs and pepperoni pizza. When he met me, I introduced him to roast beef, bacon, pork chops, baked ham, etc.

The vegetarian SDA's I knew ate a lot of beans and lentils (we don't really associate with that side of the family anymore). The gas of someone who eats a lot of beans can get pretty bad, probably as bad as the cow farts they say are destroying the planet. .

Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
I've been vegetarian for 32 years. I think I have a good head start.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
Reading the comments from the meat eaters here causes me to realize that I have more in common with vegetarians than avoidance of meat.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I don't shy away from meat but I sometimes make own veggie burgers with chick peas, onions, and spices in a processor...they're actually pretty damned good.

btw veggies should be taking up the MOST real estate on your plate, meat should be last.

Like I said, I don't like vegetables enough to fill my plate with them. And I'm a healthy, size-four, 59 year old woman.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Soy isn’t an option for many since it’s one of the most prevalent food allergies. I’m not a red meat eater, but having a soy allergy means poultry, eggs, pork, fish and seafood are going to continue to be part of my regular diet. Yeah, yeah I know I could eat beans for protein instead but life’s too darn short to subsist on something you have to choke down.
Your not preparing them right. I make giant bowl of mexican bean salad everytime I throw a party. It's always one of the first dishes to go and I'm asked for the recipe constantly. Also my kids love it.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I raise chickens and vegetable .
I do not appreciate GMOs, they are an abomination, no matter what good people thing they accomplish. Bio fuel is about all they are good for .
Many people cannot eat soy and other meat substitutes . and the amino acids in meat do things for our bodies that other proteins do not, I am told,
As for birth rates Some believe that most people are reasonable not having big families, however Muslim families are determined to be large to overwhelm the voting influence. This is SOP in Islam .
So how is this going to be fixed ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies