Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really. The 1990s were great. Clinton's troubles and corruptions weren't as bad as Trump's. The country was never the same after 9/11.
Yes remember how horrible the division was between Clinton and Gingrich, ah those were the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I hear you.. at one time there was much more respect...Democrats have no respect for the Presidency. None. They are trashing their own reputation . Their self respect is gone with no standards at all. They are very radical and want very radical changes. They want to change us to what they want us to think, what we should drive, eat, and believe and use the news media to brainwash with propaganda , innuendo, hearsay, speculation and say anything at all to brainwash the masses. One has to be very careful or we will be a communist country before most even know it. Radical means drastic change. Obama's transformation was stopped by Trump. They want to program everyone thinking the same. Those who love America and the Constitution, their freedom and their rights will not be lead down that path. The hate news could make you hate your family, your God, your own self as they fill your head with hate toward anyone or anything.. this is not freedom. It is programming. The communists are all programmed to be one mind and told not the truth, but whatever the forces want them to believe. The Orwellian way is described in the book 1984. This is the playbook for the radicals to change us into robots. One is not educated until they read it.
And republicans investigated Clintons for 7 years. And they impeached Bill for an affair. Yet they elected Trump who has had multiple affairs.
So yeah. Rant on.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:15 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The short answer is that most people realized religion is made up, so they stopped behaving. And there's no going back from that.
Now if we could only realize government is made up, so we can start behaving.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I always hear arguments like this.

Female happiness has declined over the last forty years. They've traded support networks for careers. Good for many, less good for most.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...till-declining

This atomization of society has affected everyone. I think it's better to commiserate with others in our fractured internet society when they express something heartfelt, rather than label and divide others.

Agree. The internet was an opportunity for people to become more understanding and united. Instead at least 50% of the time it has made us less empathic.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really. The 1990s were great. Clinton's troubles and corruption weren't as bad as Trump's. The country was never the same after 9/11.
That's a bit revisionist. The 90's were not all that great, at least not like 60's and 70's. In the 90's were ok but by then neighborhoods were becoming fragmented. Participation trophies became the norm. Clintons were pushing outcome based education. Oh yeah and thats about when Clinton deregulated the banking industry which led to the chaos of the 2000's.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:16 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
You would be in a position where you had no computer to play on, no cable TV, let alone sat. One car per family if you were lucky. Small houses. Kids having to work as teens to buy their own school clothes or cars (of course kids didn't have phones in those days). As a teen-you'd be riding a bike everywhere you wanted to go, not being given rides-or driving yourselves. And you wouldn't have the record low unemployment and job opportunities we have today. The 70s and 80s were rough for everyone-home ownership was a stretch due to 15-20% interest rates. Unemployment in and immediately after the Carter era was horrible-considerably higher than at the peek of the Obama recession.

Oh, if you were born in the time of your grandparents-you likely would have been drafted to serve in the military and sent to VN.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

You would be in a position where you had no computer to play on, no cable TV, let alone sat. One car per family if you were lucky. Small houses. Kids having to work as teens to buy their own school clothes or cars (of course kids didn't have phones in those days). As a teen-you'd be riding a bike everywhere you wanted to go, not being given rides-or driving yourselves. And you wouldn't have the record low unemployment and job opportunities we have today. The 70s and 80s were rough for everyone-home ownership was a stretch due to 15-20% interest rates. Unemployment in and immediately after the Carter era was horrible-considerably higher than at the peek of the Obama recession.

Oh, if you were born in the time of your grandparents-you likely would have been drafted to serve in the military and sent to VN.

Re: the bolded part above - there was nothing wrong with any of that.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:25 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
As a 27 year old millennial sometimes I think I've been misplaced. Big part of me wishes we can go back to the relative way things were at least couple decades ago in America and the west. I don't want this world to end in tyranny. Why can't we get spared? In history that has always happened, but it looks like we will never recover and sink into the abyss. Why can't I have been born when my parents or grandparents were born?
I'm probably close to your parents' age. What young adults (you) won't understand until they're (you're) older is that every generation has their own fears. Have you chatted with your parents about the cold war times? We grew up terrified that the Soviet Union was going to blow us into oblivion. Your grandparents probably dealt with the height of Vietnam, or if they're older, Korea. When I think of my parents and their experience in the world, thinking it was such a simpler time, I remind myself that my folks were born during the Great Depression. That my mother told me stories of going to school with a piece of bread and apricot jam made from fruit from her grandfather's tree for her lunch, and kids who were better off made fun of her. Every generation has their own fears and challenges, that never changes.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:34 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
You should have been around in 1968. That was some scary sh$#.
If Trump goes down, 1968 will look like It's A Wonderful Life.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Liberals want this country to go down in flames. And liberals make up close to 50% of this nation. They are also sneaking in millions of illegals to shift the polls in their favor. There's your answer(s).
Those are your answers and unfortunately they are all wrong. You fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies