Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 09:18 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,242,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ALL studies are small scale, a statistical representation of the whole as it's not possible to track every incident when conducting a study.

And I'm saying the figures ARE relevant. It's quite clear that women in the lower income groups DON'T consider abortion to be a means of reducing poverty. They choose abortion at a MUCH lower rate.
The question of the thread is "Would banning abortion increase poverty?" It has nothing to do with the motivations of any one woman, any subset of women or women writ large consider abortion. It is simply whether banning abortion will have a net impact of increasing poverty.

Also, even assuming the numbers you keep posting are true, there is nothing in them to indicate the reason for the difference. You assert that they indicate that "lower income groups DON'T consider abortion to be a means of reducing poverty." There is no basis whatsoever to indicate that those figures mean that. Perhaps they have less access to abortions. Perhaps there is more peer pressure to have the babies. Unless that same very very small study you keep citing included questions to the participant regarding the reasons they chose to either abort or not abort, you have no basis for knowing their reasons.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 06-05-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-05-2022, 09:24 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times
Quote:
Oh, please... TANF is NOT the only public assistance benefit they receive.
TANF is the only cash aid program. Other benefits include, SNAP, Medicaid & WIC which provides around $40 a month in dairy products for a limited time, and in some cases assistance with heating bills. Now it's your turn, which benefits did I fail to list?

Old 06-05-2022, 09:28 AM

89,319 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
The question of the thread is "Would banning abortion increase poverty?" It has nothing to do with the motivations of any one woman, any subset of women or women writ large consider abortion. It is simply whether banning abortion will have a net impact of increasing poverty.
Since only a very small percentage of those in the lower-income groups who have an unintended pregnancy choose abortion, no... it wouldn't have much of an effect on poverty.

With abortion, what we're losing out on at a MUCH higher rate is children being raised by women (highest income group) who are much more likely to raise taxpaying citizens (contributors to society, instead of takers). While the low-income groups choose abortion at less than 10%, higher-income women choose abortion 31.9% of the time, more than 3 times as often.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:35 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,242,320 times
Quote:
Since only a very small percentage of those in the lower-income groups who have an unintended pregnancy choose abortion, no... it wouldn't have much of an effect on poverty.

With abortion, what we're losing out on at a MUCH higher rate is children being raised by women (highest income group) who are much more likely to raise taxpaying citizens (contributors to society, instead of takers). While the low-income groups choose abortion at less than 10%, higher-income women choose abortion 31.9% of the time, more than 3 times as often.
Among other things, this ignores the impact of having a baby has on a woman's earning potential and her socioeconomic status, especially if the baby is unplanned. It does. Plus just having another person to care for on the same salary stretches the dollars further and will simply as a mathematical fact move some families into poverty. Here is an example I posted earlier:

Quote:
Having an unplanned child as an adult does not increase your socioeconomic position either. A simple example: A single woman is earning $16,500 per year. She is over the poverty level, because poverty for a household of one person is $12,880. She has an unplanned pregnancy and is prohibited from getting an abortion. If she keeps the baby, instead of one person living above the poverty line, there are now two people living below it since poverty level for a household of two persons is $17,420.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/topics/poverty-...es#threshholds

Old 06-05-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Among other things, this ignores the impact of having a baby has on a woman's earning potential and her socioeconomic status, especially if the baby is unplanned. It does. Plus just having another person to care for on the same salary stretches the dollars further and will simply as a mathematical fact move some families into poverty.
Again, look at the stats... the women at 100% to 200% of poverty level with unintended pregnancies have an even LOWER abortion rate than women in poverty. They're choosing abortion even LESS.

So... The reason 95% of women with unintended pregnancies self-admittedly DON'T use birth control when it's easily available either for free or is inexpensive is... WHAT???

Old 06-05-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
From Forbes Dec 2021
It's still true that the poor choose abortion at less than 1/3 the rate that higher-income women do. Why is that, when the assertion is that abortion financially benefits the poor the most? Did someone forget to tell poor women the pro-abortion talking point that they need to step up and choose to abort their babies much more often for their own socioeconomic good?

Old 06-05-2022, 10:00 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And the best that you failed to mention is less Democrats and Leftists. It's a win win
Really? I've seen more poverty in rural Missouri & Louisiana than I've seen in any "leftist" California City.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really? I've seen more poverty in rural Missouri & Louisiana than I've seen in any "leftist" California City.
Highly doubtful. California has 12% of the US population but 34% of the US population that's on public assistance.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:33 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,537,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
If women don't want to get pregnant they should practice abstinence or contraception and if they are stupid enough to get un wanted pregnancy then getting an abortion is a very lame excuse. It is also murder. IF they don't want the baby they can always give it up for adoption. AFter all I am sure the baby can find a adapted couple, as I hear there is a waiting list of 2 million couples wanting to adapt babies in the USA.
I was going to abstain until marriage, but I was not allowed to do so. I got pregnant from one of the rapes and I chose life instead of having an abortion. The result was that people like you ridiculed me for "making poor choices" for being a single mother. Rapists have parental rights and I was restricted for years from leaving the area of my rapist so that he could exercise his rights. I didn't have any. My restrictions could only be removed for those years if I had given him a helpless baby and abandoned her to whatever a child rapist would have done to her. I was condemned by people like you for not walking away from my baby. Not one person ever acknowledged what I went through in my failed endeavor to keep my daughter safe from a child abusing monster.

The government years later took her from me by force and gave her to him when she was a teenager. I have never learned the extent of the abuse at his hands while she was with him, but I do know that he was so controlling that when she was 18 he would not let her move out and her friends from school had to go help her pack and move out while he and his wife were at work. He showed up at her job after he found out and there was a physical altercation. I know no more than that. I only learned that much because I read an email exchange between her and a friend.

If she had been aborted then I would not have gone through decades of what I went through and she wouldn't have been abused by a child rapist. Her life is basically that of a prostitute. She has no moral compass and has rejected everything I tried to teach her growing up. If she were to die today she would die in a state of unrepentant sin. She would burn forever. As much as I am against it, abortion would have been better than that outcome. Years of government counseling after she was taken from me changed her from a girl begging to come home to a woman who rejected her upbringing and was taught to think of me as her "birth mother" and refer to her rapist father and his wife as her "real parents." She is nothing like the girl who was taken. The person she was has been destroyed by years of government therapy to deal with her "cultural issues" they said she had from being raised in a white home.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:23 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,537,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Also half his..how acceptable do you think that is to have his spawn walk around? Plus why do you think it being half hers means it's traumatic? You think she loves herself so much that she would want to have a piece of her around in that scenario? Seriously?
I never saw my daughter as his spawn. I saw her as my precious baby that I needed to protect from a child rapist monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies