Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't want to pi$$ on the man's grave but he lived a very evil life and died the same way. If I heard he suffered greatly as he saw the demons coming for his evil soul, it would not bother me. In this life you get what you deserve and after you leave it, you do too.
You are delusional kev, I didnt know you were such a deeply religious guy. When was it that Byrd saw the error of his way's.......Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, Ex-Klansman by Michelle Malkin -- Capitalism Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Michelle Malkin...almost as admirable as Jesse Helms...

Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 PM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
People like to b*tch about Barrack Hussein Obama for being a racist. Yet here is this guy - Jesse Helms - who isn't shy about expressing how much he hates "N*gr*s", winning elections 4 times over to keep his senator seat. Nice to know racial slurs are still tolerated in NC.

Yes, I know he never ran for President. But standards shouldn't be different on that count. NC citizens voted for that guy, which means they at the very least condoned if not agreed with his beliefs.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
There is no tolerance for the intolerant .Why should there be? Thet are the ones who see the world in black and white ( pun intended) right and wrong us an them.
You reap what you sew. Only God knows what is in store for such a man. Perhaps the life he wished upon others.
At least George Wallace repented of racism.
Oh yeah I am a Christian and I am not homophobic or racist. Because of what some have done to my religion , I feel I need to apologize every now and then.
It is ironic that he would die on July 4th - but not in the way the first poster wrote.
All I can say is " pleased to meet you Mr Helms , won't you guess my name"

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Robert Byrd is just as bad. Have no time for him. I don't have time for most elected officials at the national level, though.
Byrd was a hateful bigot at one time, but repented early, and whether he was sincere or not we do not know. In his own words: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

FWIW, he used to play a decent bluegrass fiddle. At one time I had his album and loved it.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 PM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Michelle Malkin...
FOX News token brunette and token minority.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:52 PM

655 posts, read 917,314 times
Sad the man is dead. I do not wish death on anyone, BUT.....lets call a spade a spade here. The man was an old, sour-faced, biggot, racist, good ole boy. If that is your thing, then so be it. But the truth is the truth. He blocked every single legislative measure that had any hint of something being beneficial to minorities. 100%

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Byrd was a hateful bigot at one time, but repented early, and whether he was sincere or not we do not know. In his own words: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

FWIW, he used to play a decent bluegrass fiddle. At one time I had his album and loved it.

Didn't know THAT! I would love to hear it....
he put down the constitution long enough to play the fiddle!!!!

It takes a big and intelligent man to examine his beliefs and admit he was wrong...and apologize.......beats the heck out of dopes who keep doing the same wrong thing because they're stupid, stubborn and "stay the course".

Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You are delusional kev, I didnt know you were such a deeply religious guy. When was it that Byrd saw the error of his way's.......Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, Ex-Klansman by Michelle Malkin -- Capitalism Magazine
Well, according Byrd himself, the change began in 1982 when - as he put it - after the death of his grandson he came to realize that black people love their children as much as he does his. In other words he'd been dehumanizing Blacks (as racists generally do for those they rail against) and it suddenly hit him that Blacks were indeed human too. Sometimes it takes a personal tradgedy to shake someone up and make them face the truth about themselves. Apparently this was the case with Byrd.

In regards to Byrds "White N*gger" comment on FOX News, no one really knows for sure what he meant but my guess is that he was using the term in place of "Poor White Trash" - in other words lower class Whites or the bottom of the social pecking order. Not a good choice of words to be sure (considering the controversy it was bound to stir up) but it's laughable to think that the statement somehow means he is racist against Whites.

Which brings us to the key question of "Why is Racism bad anyway?"

In of itself, it seems to me that pride in ones' race is no more offensive or dangerous than pride in one's town or high school football team. There is nothing wrong with having that kind of pride - what is wrong is what some folks DO with that pride. This is where the difference comes in between White Pride and Black Pride - and why I dont' tend to get nearly as innerved by folks chanting "Black Power", "HIspanic Power", or even "Gay Power" or "Women's Power" as I do with folks chanting "White Power".

While at an individual level ALL folks are technically equal - at a racial level or even at a gender level this is not actually true in practice. This is not because of any specific shortfall of America or Americans but rather reflects a basic fact of life for people all over the world - folks tend to feel more comfortable with and watch out for folks who are more like themselves and disassociate themselves from and distrust those that are "different". Thus a lone Conservative will probably feel uncomfortable living among a community of Liberals and the Liberals will distrust the lone Conservative. Same is true of course at the Racial Level. For good or bad it's a simple reality. This is true in regards to Political Leanings, Race or Religious Preference and is more or less universal across both time and space - occuring in every age and on every continent. It always has been and always will be the case. Folks will always prefer to do deal with, do business with, and live with folks that are more like themselves.

So, you ask, what am I getting at?

What I am getting at is that this easily translates into discrimination of some kind or another - and that's where the danger lies, for in any society there is a tendency for those who control the economic and political power to end up suppressing those who don't. In some countries - such as Iraq - this translates into one religious group (the Sunni's) suppressing another religious group (the Shia's (while under Saddam)) and then the situation reversing (Shia's terrorizing the Sunni's after Saddam's collapse). In both cases, those WITH political power oppressed those WITHOUT political power.

In America of course, it's not RELIGION that provides this distinction of the "HAVES" and the "HAVE NOTS" but generally race. This is because Freedom of Religion was intrinsic to the foundation of the original colonies. Folks came here specifically to have that freedom of religion without risk of persecution and by and large they have achieved it (a TREMENDOUS achievement historically speaking). We have however NO SUCH foundation of freedom in regards to race - and in fact we began as a nation with a complete absence of any such freedom. True enough, such freedom was eventually imposed (by force in some parts of the country) but it wasn't intrinsic to the foundations of America - and as such it's always been a sort of "overlooked stepchild" when compared to freedom of religion - and even today closet racism is pretty common.

The reason why those who promote "White Pride" and "White Power" disturb me so much more than those who promote "Black Pride" or "Black Power" is really quite simple - Whites have the economic and political power and thus have the capability to abuse racial minorities at the societal level (in other words - institutionalized abuse). America was founded on the idea that the state must protect the "little guy" (ie minority) when it comes to religion because as former Europeans, Americans had seen what happens when you do not (oppression (often brutal) of religious minorities). In fact MANY Americans came here specifically to escape that oppression so it was pretty ingrained into the country that the religous minority MUST have protection from the religious majority. Since there was little racial mixing (culturally speaking, not sexually speaking) at the time however - and what little there was of it overlayed with a natural inclination of assumed racial superiority of the White Man - the protection of racial minorities was not really considered important at the time.

Thus it seems to me that those in power have the additional responisiblity to protect those in the society who do not have the power to protect themselves. The strong should PROTECT the weak, not ABUSE them. Thus at an individual level we have police to protect the weak from the strong and at the societal level we have legislation to protect minorities from abuse by the majority.

Those that chant "White Power" are disturbing because they actually have the economic and polical power to abuse - while those who chant "Black Power", "Gay Power" or "Women's Power" do not.

And human nature being what it is, I never trust anyone who has the power.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 07-04-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 09:38 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't want to pi$$ on the man's grave but he lived a very evil life and died the same way. If I heard he suffered greatly as he saw the demons coming for his evil soul, it would not bother me. In this life you get what you deserve and after you leave it, you do too.
Will you feel the same way when Fidel Castro goes to the Great Revolution in the Sky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies