Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM

95 posts, read 60,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
I'm sure he is begging for some ice water today

Possibly someone, somewhere loved him, but the honest truth is he was a bigot. Not sure how the people of NC elected him 5 times, tells me a lot about his constituents. Hatred in the south is commonplace, seems ignorance runs rampant.

One less bigot walks the Earth today.
I would agree. As someone who has lived in both the south and the north, the south truly is a more racist, judgmental environment, overall. It's reflected more in their political leanings than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
People like to b*tch about Barrack Hussein Obama for being a racist. Yet here is this guy - Jesse Helms - who isn't shy about expressing how much he hates "N*gr*s", winning elections 4 times over to keep his senator seat. Nice to know racial slurs are still tolerated in NC.

Yes, I know he never ran for President. But standards shouldn't be different on that count. NC citizens voted for that guy, which means they at the very least condoned if not agreed with his beliefs.
I think it's more indicative of laziness. People just vote for the familiar name if they vote at all. How else would you have so many in office for so long doing so little for their constituents. This is why we need term limits.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I think it's more indicative of laziness. People just vote for the familiar name if they vote at all. How else would you have so many in office for so long doing so little for their constituents. This is why we need term limits.
Wasn't that something that was supposed to come out of Newt's "Contract With America"?

Too bad they never bothered to keep their promise eh?

Ken

Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,942,172 times
I wonder, where he's going to be buried? B/C some of my friends from Charlotte, N.C. called and said they want to have a gay orgy and then urinate on his grave! Who's Game!?!?!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I wonder, where he's going to be buried? B/C some of my friends from Charlotte, N.C. called and said they want to have a gay orgy and then urinate on his grave! Who's Game!?!?!
Despite my comments that were critical of Senator Helms and his politics, I want to wholly disassociate myself from this sort of obnoxious drivel.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, really.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Mike, the Cuban embargo is because of the powerful Cuban American lobby in Florida that basically controls our relations with Cuba.

Jesse Helms was indeed a patriot for this country and a great man, may he RIP.

On an interesting note, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson also both passed away on July 4th, on the same day actually.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Jesse Helms was indeed a patriot for this country and a great man, may he RIP.
You're bothered by scantily clad teenagers buying birth control but not by someone who denounces a prestigious university as the "University of Negroes and Communists"?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
And a lot of the posters are Obama supporters, so you are bothered by a person with conservative views but are not bothered by someone who thinks that if a baby is aborted and still lives, it does not deserve medical help. You are just upset because Jesse Helms had conservative values. Again, I say when you start calling names you lost the debate.

Throw your dirt or any other body fluids. It doesn't hurt Bro. Jesse or me. Because like Jesse Helms, I care not what you say. That you have flawed values is your problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Gone. Gone at last. Good riddance.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
... so you are bothered by a person with conservative views ... You are just upset because Jesse Helms had conservative values.
What exactly are "conservative views" and "conservative values"?

Are these absolute ideas?

I have a number of friends that are strong Obama supporters that label me as a right-wing conservative nut (in a friendly way, of course) due to my strong libertarian views. Others, presumably people like you, would label me as a liberal. I don't know. I refuse to label myself as either, or as anything in particular. I don't even call myself a libertarian outright.

I'm not upset about Jesse Helms' views. He's dead and gone. Unlike some of the more vicious posters here, I'm not going to say with certainty that he's burning in hell or otherwise trample on his grave. I am happy, though, that his methods and politics have largely become a thing of the past. I personally prefer to see a North Carolina where people by and large get along and concentrate on building up this fabulous state's economy and national prestige. It's a lot better for everyone than divisive politics, racial and otherwise, right or left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies