Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
His job was to make North Carolina a better place to live for all North Carolinians. He was more than happy to consistently fail at accomplishing this. After the Constitution was rewritten and he was forced to keep from overtly failing, he did his level best to bend the Constitution to a shape more comfortable for y'all. "In 1982, when the Reagan administration... supported reauthorization of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, Helms waged war against the bill, introducing amendment after amendment—to exempt North Carolina counties from its provisions, to weaken the enforcement powers of the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice, to reduce the extension from 25 years to 15 years. All were defeated by overwhelming bipartisan majorities. Ultimately, Helms voted against final passage of a bill that even Strom Thurmond eventually supported."

Now see, if I were a black person in North Carolina, I would wonder if Bro. Jesse really wanted to make America a better place for me to live. Can you understand this, or not?Im a Southerner myself, and I can tell you that Fine Southern Gentlemen would not be seen in a room with Jesse Helms.

For someone from a county where "everybody is treated with respect, not just people with money," you sure were knocked out by the common courtesy showed you at his DC office.
That's because I had listened to the newspapers and people like you telling me what he was like. He was a fine Southern Gentleman like his relatives that I live around here. I have something else to say about this matter too. Not everybody who claims to help someone is really doing them a favor. You don't have to do all kinds of things to help someone to whom you don't think is inferior to you in the first place. The black people I know here in Union County can take care of themselves. The place where I worked was like a family and the black people who worked with me were like my brothers and sisters. Or it was like that until the influx of people from the Northern states. We were still a family and helped each other out to withstand the troublemakers. I had one director from NY tell me that I did not have to speak to everybody. I wasn't brought up that way and according to what I saw in the funeral yesterday, neither was Senator Helms. If a person was a real Southern gentleman, he would be in a room with and speak to both of us.

And bless your little heart, I would speak to you too. LOL

Last edited by NCN; 07-10-2008 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That's because I had listened to the newspapers and people like you telling me what he was like.
I know what he was like from his own recorded statements and written words and the record he has in Congress, and to me they are shocking and disgusting. Maybe not to you but there we're different.
Quote:
He was a fine Southern Gentleman like his relatives that I live around here. I have something else to say about this matter too. Not everybody who claims to help someone is really doing them a favor. You don't have to do all kinds of things to help someone to whom you don't think is inferior to you in the first place.
Wouldnt you say making sure someone can vote is helping them..."doing them a favor"? NCN, the black people you "didnt think were inferior in the first place" certainly were in an inferior position to you which was officially enforced, and surely you know that. By "all kinds of things" do you mean things like voting, going to school, etc.?
Quote:
The black people I know here in Union County can take care of themselves.
? Sure now they can, since laws had to be put into place on a federal level allowing them to vote, go to school with whites, etc.
Quote:
The place where I worked was like a family and the black people who worked with me were like my brothers and sisters.
Except not; would you or your blood brothers or sisters have married a black person? If not, why not?
Quote:
Or it was like that until the influx of people from the Northern states. We were still a family and helped each other out to withstand the troublemakers.
Troublemakers like Rosa Parks?
Quote:
I had one director from NY tell me that I did not have to speak to everybody. I wasn't brought up that way and according to what I saw in the funeral yesterday, neither was Senator Helms. If a person was a real Southern gentleman, he would be in a room with and speak to both of us.
I understand how the South is. I apologize for being rude and I realize we're not going to see eye to eye. But - this is my last go on this thread, NCN - you must know that JH wasn't just racist, he was viciously so, cruelly so, and it's documented up hill and down dale. Ask the older black people you know if they believe he was their friend - if they'll tell you. Really, all you have to do is put yourself in the other person's place.

Yeah, Im from the South too - bless your heart as well.

(No - I mean it. I'd like it if we could skip this unpleasantness and agree to disagree, and meet as sisters (?) on a sunnier battlefield someday

Old 07-10-2008, 04:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
like i said just forgive the man for his hateful ways.

and hope we dont see anyone like him again.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Jessie good riddance!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I know what he was like from his own recorded statements and written words and the record he has in Congress, and to me they are shocking and disgusting. Maybe not to you but there we're different.Wouldnt you say making sure someone can vote is helping them..."doing them a favor"? NCN, the black people you "didnt think were inferior in the first place" certainly were in an inferior position to you which was officially enforced, and surely you know that. By "all kinds of things" do you mean things like voting, going to school, etc.? ? Sure now they can, since laws had to be put into place on a federal level allowing them to vote, go to school with whites, etc. Except not; would you or your blood brothers or sisters have married a black person? If not, why not? Troublemakers like Rosa Parks?I understand how the South is. I apologize for being rude and I realize we're not going to see eye to eye. But - this is my last go on this thread, NCN - you must know that JH wasn't just racist, he was viciously so, cruelly so, and it's documented up hill and down dale. Ask the older black people you know if they believe he was their friend - if they'll tell you. Really, all you have to do is put yourself in the other person's place.

Yeah, Im from the South too - bless your heart as well.

(No - I mean it. I'd like it if we could skip this unpleasantness and agree to disagree, and meet as sisters (?) on a sunnier battlefield someday
I believe black people got the right to vote long before Jesse Helms was anywhere near to being a senator. I never worked with Rosa Parks and never even knew her.

Whatever Jesse Helms was, he was a statesman and saying anything bad about him does not belong on this thread. I am sorry, but I cannot agree to disagree about badmouthing someone when they just died. This thread was meant to be in honor of Jesse Helms. Sorry you would not even let us do that. That's really sad. I wish we could have skipped the unpleasantness too. I can't even find the words to tell some of you how disgusted I am with your posts.

We have two choices: We can look for the good in others or we can look for the bad. Jesse Helms did a lot of good for people of all races. You don't really have to look that hard to find it. We rode the light rail into Charlotte on July 4th. The mayor of Charlotte said that Jesse Helms helped to get that for us.

Last edited by NCN; 07-10-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
So you're saying that the truth doesn't belong in this thread? Is this a thread in honor of St. Jesse? I don't think so.

I'd love to look for the good in Helms, but it's invisible to the human eye.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,430 times
THe guy was an A$$, I won't be shedding any tears for him to say the least.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:30 AM

742 posts, read 2,067,748 times
Quote:
Jesse Helms did a lot of good for people of all races.
Name one! Then name another.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times
Quote:
I believe black people got the right to vote long before Jesse Helms was anywhere near to being a senator. I never worked with Rosa Parks and never even knew her.

Whatever Jesse Helms was, he was a statesman and saying anything bad about him does not belong on this thread. I am sorry, but I cannot agree to disagree about badmouthing someone when they just died. This thread was meant to be in honor of Jesse Helms. Sorry you would not even let us do that. That's really sad. I wish we could have skipped the unpleasantness too. I can't even find the words to tell some of you how disgusted I am with your posts.

We have two choices: We can look for the good in others or we can look for the bad. Jesse Helms did a lot of good for people of all races. You don't really have to look that hard to find it. We rode the light rail into Charlotte on July 4th. The mayor of Charlotte said that Jesse Helms helped to get that for us.
I think you are just reacting b/c Helms comes from your state. There's a time to acknowledge wrong even if it is a man you voted for. We all know how many Republicans are now quite ashamed of George Bush. I have sent angry emails to many Democrats including Senator Feinstein. It's OK to express disagreement with your politicians & be able to admit it on the Internet. Pride in North Carolina means identifying the good & the bad [otherwise people will think you agreed w/ Helms on every ludicrous thing he said.

Last edited by happ; 07-11-2008 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,495 times
Jesse Helms was an unrepentant racist.

Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies