Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

NCN, You're purposely misquoting someone and attributing your edited version to that person? Why would you do that? That's quite dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
NCN, You're purposely misquoting someone and attributing your edited version to that person? Why would you do that? That's quite dishonest.
No, it's a common and accepted internet practice, usually abbreviated "TFTFY" (There. Fixed that for you.)

That said, there are many troubling things about that person's last few posts.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM

107 posts, read 327,523 times
Helms believed in his country, and he helped make it better (rightly or wrongly) his whole life. RIP. All the balled up negativity on this thread is worse than any racist comment Helms ever made. Stupid armchair starbucks liberals...things were better in the 50's.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If black people had not been so racist themselves, they would have been blended in with the rest of society by now and we wouldn't be having this conversation. As a white person I feel like I have been used and abused. How about the 60's when black people went into Charlotte as a group and their goal was to walk together thus making sure that white people had to go out into the street and traffic. How about when we tried to live in a changing neighborhood in Charlotte and our thanks was to have horrible things written on our black front door and my daughter was playing with black children and three of them started beating her up because she was white. There is a little racism for you. She hadn't done anything to them but try to be friends and they tried to beat her up, but she beat the socks off all three of them. Then they wanted to be friends. Sorry, we don't need friends like that. We moved. It has been my experience that the most racist people I have ever met were black . Then you turn around and take up for these people who are still living off the government. The Civil War was over a hundred years ago and they still need help? They shouldn't still need help! And Obama wants to take our hard earned money and be a modern day Robin Hood and redistribute the wealth. If they want wealth, they need to work for it. I earned most of mine by the sweat of my brow and did smart investments for the rest of it. And I pay plenty of taxes and give to charities beyond that. We had a grand total of $250 when we got married, because I had worked all Summer and saved it. My dad started out as a sharecropper and when he died he was paying taxes on 170 acres. Hard work is the answer, not handouts.

And speaking of charities, how about a black lady called Gloria Pace King getting a 2 million dollar pension from the United Way. I always thought that everybody who worked for the United Way was a volunteer. I have been to meetings where she spoke and in my opinion she has not earned that kind of money. She should give it back. That's shameful. The only thing I ever saw her promote was herself by telling us how important she was. I endured it because it was a United Way meeting. It is things like this that let you know where a persons heart is.

I am sorry. I don't know how to be racist, I wasn't brought up that way. But I am not fighting the fight anymore. They are on their own. I have had enough. And I will give to the United Way, but it will stay right here in Union County. With the United Way, you can require that the money you give is used for certain projects. We have people who need help right here. Charity is different than taxes. With charity, you choose to give, taxes are taken from you. Obama, keep your hands out of my pockets!
No offense or anything, but what rock did you crawl from under with all your weird comments? You say you aren't racist, but then contradict yourself by saying blacks are more racist and that they take handouts. Excuse me, but I'm black and I (nor my family) have received a "handout" from the government. We work hard just like everyone else in this country. It's people like yourself and the late Jesse Helms, who stood in the way of blacks moving ahead for many years, with your stereotyping of blacks and Jim Crow laws. Do you even know what Jim Crow was? I still haven't seen you say one thing that Helms has actually done for this state.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Helms believed in his country, and he helped make it better (rightly or wrongly) his whole life. RIP. All the balled up negativity on this thread is worse than any racist comment Helms ever made. Stupid armchair starbucks liberals...things were better in the 50's.
True enough... IF YOU WERE WHITE
If you were Black, then not nearly so much.

Of course maybe you just feel that those "other" folks knew their "place" back then - back before they got "uppity".

Geeze!

Ken

Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I took out your lies, or at least some of them. I think twisted is a proper term for your post.
Clearly you support bigotry so you are no better than the infamous senator from hell.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
True enough... IF YOU WERE WHITE
If you were Black, then not nearly so much.

Of course maybe you just feel that those "other" folks knew their "place" back then - back before they got "uppity".

Geeze!

Ken
Not so fast.

Black unemployment has quadroupled since the 1950's, and their vibrant inner city communities turned into ghettos after desegregation and public aid. Therefore, you can make the argument that blacks' pockets were fuller and their lives were more fulfilled in the 50's.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
HelmAll the balled up negativity on this thread is worse than any racist comment Helms ever made
Calling out racism is worse than racism itself?

My god.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Calling out racism is worse than racism itself?

My god.
Especially if you are a racist in the process of calling out racism

Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Especially if you are a racist in the process of calling out racism
Yes, but let's put the counterfactuals aside.

That's not what's happening in this thread. You made a specific allegation: that calling out racism is worse than racism itself. First, that's ridiculous on its face. Second, this was racism from a sitting United States Senator whose prejudice (1) bears the imprimatur of the state; and (2) resulted in tangible votes against things like the Civil Rights Act.

What anonymous people say on the internet isn't a blip on the radar compared to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies