Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
That's your job (to prove me wrong). I doubt you can, as you know the points that I made - 80% high school drop out rate in Chicago alone, 70% births out of wedlock, and 20-25% unemployment - are true among blacks today. Need I bring up encarceration rates, violent crime rates, drug abuse rates, and other unhealthy black habits... Habits that were the same if not lower than those of whites in the 50's.

Bottom line is that things have certainly changed since the 50's, but there is little "emperical, numerical, or statistical" evidence that things are actually better, if there is even a way to measure 'better'. So do yourself a favor and stop playing messiah like O-bama or Sharpton.
That's MY job to prove you wrong?????

Oh you're just hilarious.
Just make up some numbers, throw them out there and then put it upon others to "prove those numbers wrong".
Is that really what you call logical thinking - and if so do you REALLY expect anyone to place any credence on your posts?

LOL

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
That's your job (to prove me wrong).....
A patently ridiculous statement. In any debate or discussion forum, the onus to prove the point is always on the person making the assertion.

Amateur.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:18 PM

107 posts, read 327,532 times
Goofy liberals

Old 07-13-2008, 01:35 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Why is logic so baffling?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:42 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
What silliness. If you check the US Census Bureau black males made 1/2 of what white males made in the 50s, by 2004 black males made 2/3rds what white males made.

Jesse Helms was a hateful bigot and we are all better off now that he is burning in hell.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:18 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
There's so many ways I can twist that to paint white woman as racists. But never mind.And you called us "misguided ignorant people". When the United States first started out, Republican was the party of liberals and Democrat was the party of conservatives. According to its history, Democrat party have strong roots in the South (particularly an elite group called 'Dixiecrats'). By the start of the 20th century, Democrats began adopting 'progressive' views and gradually became further left than Republicans. Consequently, old-school Democrats that found this too far-left for them switched over to Republicans and eventually re-fashioned the Republican party as party of conservatives. The perception of Democrat party as party of liberals was permanently etched by the end of the 1960's.

So it shouldn't surprise you or anyone born and raised in the South that Helms started out as Democrat. Back then, the party represented traditional conservative ideals. Him switching over to Republican was a natural reaction to what he saw as a loss of those ideals, and he wasn't the only one who switched sides. The party supported - of all things - civil rights, which apparently wasn't the conservative thing to do.

I'm sorry for what happened to your family. I can only believe that what those kids did to your daughter isn't because of you or your likes (if true) favoring segregation, opposing civil rights, hanging innocent black folks because it's the white thing to do, or bombing churches just to exterminate black children. You have never experience racism like they do, being called "N*gr*" and other disparaging terms. So how can you expect to understand why they act out like they do? As you previously said about Helms, people are a product of their environment. An abused child can grow up to be an abuser, a person oppressed because of skin color can treat others the same way, a bad relationship with one's mother can cloud a man's perception of women, pass victims of pedophilia becoming pedophiles.

So you don't care. All right. Would have helped a lot if you had been forthright from the start, instead of acting judgmental and putting on a "holier than thou" attitude just because we don't talk nice. Nobody likes that, not even you.
I find your next to last paragraph offensive. I remember years ago seeing a small bus driving through Ashe County, North Carolina and my mother telling me how sad it was that the people on the bus had to ride on a bus for so long simply because they were not white. Does that sound like our family favored segregation?

There is no excuse for three older children to abuse a five year old just because she is white. Luckily I went to check on her and put a stop to the fight, but she was holding her own.

We were trying to be their friend and it cost us more than $9,000 in house value because we did not move immediately like other white people did. We had stayed in the community in order to help the races blend. In the end we had to move because the area became unsafe. I am talking about the Hidden Valley area in Charlotte which is on the nightly news quite often. There comes a time when you have to say, I have done all I can. Some of the things I said were not like me at all, but I was so disappointed at things others have said on this thread about Jesse Helms. Not agreeing that quotas is the way to achieve the blending of races is not the same as wanting segregation. I watched an interview recently where Jesse Helms explained his position on this. He said that quotas is not the way to go because it causes animosity between the races. I think he is right.

When all I have heard for years is that you should not make choices because of color, it is like a kick in the teeth when more than 90% of the democratic blacks voted for Obama. Hillary Clinton would have been a much better choice and I personally think she would have had a better chance of winning in November, because she has more experience than Obama.

The hatred and trash talk about Jesse Helms will not hurt him at all and I am with the opinion that he is in a much better place right now than any of us. Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins, not just some of them. Maybe some of the posters should ask themselves what they have ever done to improve race relations, and how much what they have done has cost them. I have little doubt that Jesse Helms has done more for people of all races than anyone else on this thread. I appreciate the thirty years of service that Jesse Helms did for the citizens of North Carolina.

Last edited by NCN; 07-14-2008 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM

262 posts, read 486,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
As a white person I feel like I have been used and abused.
It's so hard to be white in America, LET ME TELL YOU INTERNETS...

Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I find your next to last paragraph offensive. I remember years ago seeing a small bus driving through Ashe County, North Carolina and my mother telling me how sad it was that the people on the bus had to ride on a bus for so long simply because they were not white. Does that sound like our family favored segregation?

There is no excuse for three older children to abuse a five year old just because she is white. Luckily I went to check on her and put a stop to the fight, but she was holding her own.

We were trying to be their friend and it cost us more than $9,000 in house value because we did not move immediately like other white people did. We had stayed in the community in order to help the races blend. In the end we had to move because the area became unsafe. I am talking about the Hidden Valley area in Charlotte which is on the nightly news quite often. There comes a time when you have to say, I have done all I can. Some of the things I said were not like me at all, but I was so disappointed at things others have said on this thread about Jesse Helms. Not agreeing that quotas is the way to achieve the blending of races is not the same as wanting segregation. I watched an interview recently where Jesse Helms explained his position on this. He said that quotas is not the way to go because it causes animosity between the races. I think he is right.

When all I have heard for years is that you should not make choices because of color, it is like a kick in the teeth when more than 90% of the democratic blacks voted for Obama. Hillary Clinton would have been a much better choice and I personally think she would have had a better chance of winning in November, because she has more experience than Obama.

The hatred and trash talk about Jesse Helms will not hurt him at all and I am with the opinion that he is in a much better place right now than any of us. Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins, not just some of them. Maybe some of the posters should ask themselves what they have ever done to improve race relations, and how much what they have done has cost them. I have little doubt that Jesse Helms has done more for people of all races than anyone else on this thread. I appreciate the thirty years of service that Jesse Helms did for the citizens of North Carolina.
Oh man, just keep digging yourself deeper.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I am really feeling the TOLERANCE from the left on this one! I wonder if all you morons feel the same way about Robert Byrd?

political affiliation have nothing to do with this since you want to point left and right issues, and dont people change right too bad helms didnt, there are alot more racist political figures in their ages from 46-70 that have yet to be exposed for supporting pro anti-black laws.

as sean hannity said lol, america forgives, but people like helms were racist then and were racist up until his death that is the difference i think between him and byrd.

has anyone heard any statments from GW BUSH SENIOR, JUNIOR denoucing or disappointment about their grandfather working with nazis?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
For those who honestly believe the 50s were better I have only 2 words; Emmett Till.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies