Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times

Advertisements

Well well. I figured when I started this thread the liberals would crawl out from under their rocks to show their compassion and collective humanity. Nice to know they didn't let me down.
You know, there are a lot of liberals that I don't like and some I outright despise. Some , like Michael Moore, I have nothing but utter contempt for. But when they die, I know something I won't do. I won't publicly spit on their memory or wish that they rot in hell before they are even in the ground. I won't take their whole life and condense it down to one negative soundbite without taking the whole of their life into account.
Nobody really even refuted my post which was that Jesse Helms was a patriot, he did love his country, and he was a stalwart defender of America against communism.

No worries though. Jesse Helms, God bless him, had one quality too sorely lacking in most conservatives. He didn't give a rats ass about what liberals thought of him and wherever he is now, in Heaven or in Hell, I guarantee he is sitting back laughing at all the hyperventilating fits liberals are having upon the occasion of his demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:01 AM

95 posts, read 60,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Well well. I figured when I started this thread the liberals would crawl out from under their rocks to show their compassion and collective humanity. Nice to know they didn't let me down.
You know, there are a lot of liberals that I don't like and some I outright despise. Some , like Michael Moore, I have nothing but utter contempt for. But when they die, I know something I won't do. I won't publicly spit on their memory or wish that they rot in hell before they are even in the ground. I won't take their whole life and condense it down to one negative soundbite without taking the whole of their life into account.
Nobody really even refuted my post which was that Jesse Helms was a patriot, he did love his country, and he was a stalwart defender of America against communism.

No worries though. Jesse Helms, God bless him, had one quality too sorely lacking in most conservatives. He didn't give a rats ass about what liberals thought of him and wherever he is now, in Heaven or in Hell, I guarantee he is sitting back laughing at all the hyperventilating fits liberals are having upon the occasion of his demise.
Jesse Helms may have been a hero to you, but that's probably because you were not directly affronted and assaulted by his narrow-minded, deprecating views. You don't find Jews praising Hitler as a great man, do you? Helms is scum; he's no patriot to me.

There is a stark difference between being a conservative and being an outright, no-holds-barred bigot. Helms falls into the latter category, and I will not mourn the death of such a man. This is not about "liberal" or "conservative;" it's about recognizing that some individuals were never fit to represent the people, and to represent America.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The people of North Carolina kept Jesse Helms in the U. S. Senate for thirty years. That tells me that a majority of the people in the state liked the way he did his job.

It is sad to see so many people on one thread that have absolutely no class. The man is dead, let him rest in peace.
I wish he would have let a lot of people live in peace.
He's dead. He's gone.
Oh well.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvement View Post
Jesse Helms may have been a hero to you, but that's probably because you were not directly affronted and assaulted by his narrow-minded, deprecating views. You don't find Jews praising Hitler as a great man, do you? Helms is scum; he's no patriot to me.

There is a stark difference between being a conservative and being an outright, no-holds-barred bigot. Helms falls into the latter category, and I will not mourn the death of such a man. This is not about "liberal" or "conservative;" it's about recognizing that some individuals were never fit to represent the people, and to represent America.
Indeed.

Ken

Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
It also tells me that NC is a racist state. At least 70% of it.
Like almost all of America, North Carolina has had to deal with serious racial issues for a good part of its history. The fact that the state is currently one of the fastest growing in the country and is drawing in very diverse people from across America and internationally is proof that it has entered a new era and is moving beyond its troubled past.

As for throwing around terms like "racist state", that's a very problematic thing to do. I have lived in a number of places in this country, and some of the worst racism I have seen is in places further north. Race relations in one of America's most "liberal" cities, Washington, DC, for example, are among the worst I have ever seen. Go further north into New York and Boston, and you can find loads and loads of racial animosity, albeit much more hush-hush and repressed than what used to be more frequent in large parts of the south.

As I said earlier, as a new North Carolinian, I'm very happy that Jesse Helms and his ilk are now part of a bygone era. On a side-note, Jesse Helms won almost all of his elections on very bare margins. He was a very divisive figure within the state as well, even beyond the boundaries of white-black.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
let him rest in peace.
Tell that to the Devil.

He made his choices.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
IMO the thread's negative tone is a natural response to the OP's attempt to recast Helms as a patriot. Some us us who actually served this country would like to reserve the term for those who actually made a positive contribution. Helms made no positive contribution that I've ever found.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
So...all the human suffering this buffoon perpetuated is okay by you because it ruffled some liberals' feathers?

Wow. I dont know if that's more sad or more sick.

I think the posters on here whom you'd put in your "liberals" slot indeed show their compassion and humanity by not supporting the policies of this awful man and now that he's dead, by expressing relief that he's gone and faith in a more civilized leadership and future for North Carolina. You disagree?

Quote:
People like him go to Hell, period. Your fantasy is pretty funny, but I actually laugh at the thought of him arriving down there and being handed a copy of the rules. "You mean Ah dont git to set around laughing about the black families I hurt, at the ignorance I maintained? You been listening to that damn liberal, Jesus, ain't you! Ow! Don't poke me with that'ere pitchfawk, boy!"

Last edited by delusianne; 07-06-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: lily-gildin'

Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Quote:
the liberals would crawl out from under their rocks...there are a lot of liberals that I don't like...didn't give a rats ass about what liberals thought of him...laughing at all the hyperventilating fits liberals are having
Nice to know that's all you're about. My issue with him is racism, not conservatism. Nonetheless, your true colors show.
Quote:
I won't take their whole life and condense it down to one negative soundbite without taking the whole of their life into account.
This coming from someone who judged Jeremiah Wright - another true patriot - the same way. You're free to say what you want, but you are in no position to dictate how the rest of us should pay respects/disrespects to the dead.

This is America. Deal with it. You don't like it, go back to where your ancestors came from.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 07-06-2008 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 PM

645 posts, read 910,004 times
Default Jesse needs some ice water...

I'm sure he is begging for some ice water today

Possibly someone, somewhere loved him, but the honest truth is he was a bigot. Not sure how the people of NC elected him 5 times, tells me a lot about his constituents. Hatred in the south is commonplace, seems ignorance runs rampant.

One less bigot walks the Earth today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies