Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I wonder, where he's going to be buried? B/C some of my friends from Charlotte, N.C. called and said they want to have a gay orgy and then urinate on his grave! Who's Game!?!?!
Disgusting. Regardless of your personal feelings toward someone...how obnoxious, immature, and disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
May he rest in pieces....

Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Disgusting. Regardless of your personal feelings toward someone...how obnoxious, immature, and disgraceful.
Have to agree with that.
The guy was a jerk, but the actions described were pretty poor.

Ken

Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,721 times
My sentiments exactly...I'm admittedly not a fan of Sen. Helms or his politics, but one thing I was taught from childhood was that you respect the dead, whether you liked them or not---and the previous poster's (brikag's) remarks reminded me of something two 6th graders would utter during an adolescent gross-out fest...it's all about respect---I may not agree with the views of Kanhawk and NCN, but I will respect the right of they and others to express those views...that's something else I've carried into adulthood, and I always thought that was what made America (and by association CD Forums) great

Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Again, I say when you start calling names you lost the debate.
Speak for yourself. For assuming we are all Obama supporters and liberals. Racism traditionally comes from the conservative side. That's why I don't trust conservatives (neo-, old school or otherwise), or want to be identified as one. They have a history of treating racism as almost non-existent, somewhat like Neo-Nazis denying the Holocaust.

I wasn't attacking Helms. If anything, I was trying to attack those who supported him and kept him in Senate for 30 years. Was is it because of his competence or his effective fear-mongering? Or is it because they just don't care and pick the recognizable name? It sends a host of negative messages, not only about his supporters and his party but also the entire state as a whole.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 07-07-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,617 times
Well, I live in NC and I voted against him as soon as I got old enough to vote. Didn't work but I can honestly say I never voted for him. I won't degrade a dead man but I don't view him as a patriot. He was one of the biggest proponents for censorship back in the 80's as well as all the bigoted, racist stuff. However, he has to answer for how he lived his life, not me. May he rest in peace.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
God has seen fit to '86' Helms. I suppose he and the
"Rev." Falwell are having a hot time in the old town tonight.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
i think the gay orgy thing was a joke, tasteless one, but a joke.

lets just FORGIVE the man.

let it go and hope we never see one like him again.

i forgive him.

truth be told tho, bro. jesse WAS a bigot. an unexcusable one.

call a spade a spade man.

but forgive him and his intolerant archaic traditions.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
What exactly are "conservative views" and "conservative values"?

Are these absolute ideas?

I have a number of friends that are strong Obama supporters that label me as a right-wing conservative nut (in a friendly way, of course) due to my strong libertarian views. Others, presumably people like you, would label me as a liberal. I don't know. I refuse to label myself as either, or as anything in particular. I don't even call myself a libertarian outright.

I'm not upset about Jesse Helms' views. He's dead and gone. Unlike some of the more vicious posters here, I'm not going to say with certainty that he's burning in hell or otherwise trample on his grave. I am happy, though, that his methods and politics have largely become a thing of the past. I personally prefer to see a North Carolina where people by and large get along and concentrate on building up this fabulous state's economy and national prestige. It's a lot better for everyone than divisive politics, racial and otherwise, right or left.
I really don't like labels like conservative or liberal because everybody means something different when they say it. I worked with and for the public for years. I had to learn a lot of tolerance for people of all directions. I did not have the luxury of being able to state what I felt every minute of the day. I had to figure out ways to walk around questions while remaining professionally neutral. It is called walking on eggshells. And I am an absolute pro at doing it when I want to. City-data is a fun place to me. I only used the words conservative to describe Senator Helms views in order to not go into detail. I really don't know what all his views are because I didn't spend a lot of time keeping up with his views. But I do think he was a person who has done a lot of good and I don't like to see him treated in such a disrespectful way. I felt the same way when John Kennedy died. I heard many people who were happy that he was gone too. I think that probably both these men were misunderstood. I have been misunderstood on this thread, but I won't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I hear a lot of people say that this or that should be tolerated, but the same people only want people who think like they do to be able to express their views. You don't seem that way, but some on this thread do. We live in a free country where a person should be able to have and express any kind of view and not be attacked for it. There is usually a reason why everybody thinks the way they do. I enjoy different views.

I do however think that North Carolina and the nation is a better place because we have a balance between left and right and Jesse Helms played a valuable role in making North Carolina what it is today. He was our senator for 30 years. Nobody ever gets it all right and it is the sum of all that brings us to where we are. North Carolina is a pretty good place. If we didn't have the right to balance with the left, I think our nation would be a total zoo.

For the record, I am probably as straight down the middle as it gets. I have voted for people of all races and practically all parties. I vote for the person not the party. I find the older I get the more toward the right I get. I guess that is because I see the results of too much government.

I went back and read every post I had on here and I used the word liberal one time and it was to state how my son describes me. I mentioned that several of the people are Obama supporters, and I was only referring to those I know who have posted on the Obama threads and are just as mean on here as they were there.

Last edited by NCN; 07-07-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I wonder, where he's going to be buried? B/C some of my friends from Charlotte, N.C. called and said they want to have a gay orgy and then urinate on his grave! Who's Game!?!?!
I really hope that this is a joke, if not it makes people who would advocate such vile acts on the same level as Fred Phelps and the like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies