Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Jesse Helms was a man who stood for something and you never had to guess what that was. We need to have more honest people in government.

My son said the men he served with in the Navy had the upmost respect for Jesse Helms. He was a man they could depend on when they needed something. It is an honor to live in the county where Bro. Jesse was born. We say Bro. Jesse in an endearing term, because he is our brother in Christ.

Have a little respect for the fact that he has a family who loved him very much.

I remember that he tried to get the Senate to adopt a national language. We would be much better off if that had been done.

I also remember when he was the only senator who voted to help England when they went to war. That took a lot of character. Nobody lives a life that is all good or all bad. Jesse Helms lived a life that mattered.

May God bless and be with his friends and family.
are we talking about the same guy? this is the bigot who sang "dixie" to the newly elected (black) sen carol mosely-braun just to irritate the hell out of her, warned president bill clinton not to visit no carolina cause he would be assasinated. he refused to vote for roberta achtenberg for undersecretary HUD not because she lacked the talent but because she was a lesbian.
good riddance, jesse helms.

Last edited by wehotex; 07-08-2008 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
"Fortunately for him, the Devil is also a Southerner."

Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Meh.

He wasn't that great of a guy. Supported in a lot of awful things in his time, but there have been worse.

So I will mark his passing with neither a tear nor a sneer and just a shrug.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Jesse Helms was a great person who has made America a better place to live. If we had some more like him our country might not be going down the tubes. Sorry you don't like Southerners. Jesse Helms was a fine Southern Gentleman.

We went to Washington, D. C. when my son was stationed in Patuxent River, Maryland. We wanted to visit the Senate and see our government at work. The person who guided us told us that we needed to get permission from our Senator to go to the chamber. He explained that Jesse Helms office was the closest. We are a mixed family as far as party is concerned and I had heard so much about Jesse Helms that I was a little concerned about going to his office. I didn't know what the reception would be. We got the full Southern hospitality treatment. By the time we finished with our visit, we felt like we owned the town. It felt so good to be treated in such a way. We were allowed into places that we never would have expected to be able to go. I thought that maybe our son's top secret clearance may have been on the I. D. he showed. While looking at Jesse Helms funeral on channed 14, I found that all his visitors were treated this way. Some of you may not like him, but he did his job with excellence and served North Carolina well. I am proud to be able to live in the county where he was born and where everybody is treated with respect, not just people with money. Union County, North Carolina has no second class citizens of any color.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Jesse Helms was a great person who has made America a better place to live.
His job was to make North Carolina a better place to live for all North Carolinians. He was more than happy to consistently fail at accomplishing this. After the Constitution was rewritten and he was forced to keep from overtly failing, he did his level best to bend the Constitution to a shape more comfortable for y'all. "In 1982, when the Reagan administration... supported reauthorization of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, Helms waged war against the bill, introducing amendment after amendment—to exempt North Carolina counties from its provisions, to weaken the enforcement powers of the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice, to reduce the extension from 25 years to 15 years. All were defeated by overwhelming bipartisan majorities. Ultimately, Helms voted against final passage of a bill that even Strom Thurmond eventually supported."

Now see, if I were a black person in North Carolina, I would wonder if Bro. Jesse really wanted to make America a better place for me to live. Can you understand this, or not?
Quote:
If we had some more like him our country might not be going down the tubes. Sorry you don't like Southerners. Jesse Helms was a fine Southern Gentleman.
Im a Southerner myself, and I can tell you that Fine Southern Gentlemen would not be seen in a room with Jesse Helms.

Quote:
We went to Washington, D. C. when my son was stationed in Patuxent River, Maryland. We wanted to visit the Senate and see our government at work. The person who guided us told us that we needed to get permission from our Senator to go to the chamber. He explained that Jesse Helms office was the closest. We are a mixed family as far as party is concerned and I had heard so much about Jesse Helms that I was a little concerned about going to his office. I didn't know what the reception would be. We got the full Southern hospitality treatment. By the time we finished with our visit, we felt like we owned the town. It felt so good to be treated in such a way. We were allowed into places that we never would have expected to be able to go. I thought that maybe our son's top secret clearance may have been on the I. D. he showed. While looking at Jesse Helms funeral on channed 14, I found that all his visitors were treated this way. Some of you may not like him, but he did his job with excellence and served North Carolina well. I am proud to be able to live in the county where he was born and where everybody is treated with respect, not just people with money. Union County, North Carolina has no second class citizens of any color.
For someone from a county where "everybody is treated with respect, not just people with money," you sure were knocked out by the common courtesy showed you at his DC office.

Last edited by delusianne; 07-10-2008 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: "After" instead of "When"

Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
delusianne -

Your post (and the one by NCN) remind me of one of my absolute favorite quotes:

"Someone who is nice to you but not nice to the waiter... is NOT a nice person".

While I don't doubt that NCN's experience visiting Helms was a good one, that doesn't offset the harm he did to the civil rights of lots of other people. Anyone CAN be nice and decent - but that doesn't mean that they ARE nice and decent.

I recall talking to a young female clerk in a clothing store once when I was buying a gift for my wife and somehow the conversation ended up in a direction where I mentioned the quote above - and the young woman paused and said: "You know my boyfriend always treats the waiters really bad".

So I told her "Well, then you might want to look at him pretty carefully before moving any further in the relationship. It's EASY to be nice and gracious when you are trying to impress someone (as folks generally are when they are dating). My question to you is - How is he going to treat YOU once the bloom is off an he starts to take YOU for granted."

I've always been of the opinion that the TRUE measure of what a person is REALLY like can be determined by how he/she treats subordinates or underlings in the social pecking order. A truly good person will treat a garbage collector or waiter just as well as he treats a congressman or a business associate.

Helms didn't seem to do that at all.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 07-10-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
delusianne -

Your post (and the one by NCN) remind me of one of my absolute favorite quotes:

"Someone who is nice to you but not nice to the waiter... is NOT a nice person".

While I don't doubt that NCN's experience visiting Helms was a good one that doesn't offset the harm he did to the civil rights of lots of other people. Anyone CAN be nice and decent - but that doesn't mean that they ARE nice and decent.

I recall talking to a young female clerk in a clothing store once when I was buying a gift for my wife and somehow the conversation ended up in a direction where I mentioned the quote above - and the young woman paused and said: "You know my boyfriend always treats the waiters really bad".

So I told her "Well, then you might want to look at him pretty carefully before moving any further in the relationship. It's EASY to be nice and gracious when you are trying to impress someone (as folks generally are when they are dating). My question to you is - How is he going to treat YOU once the bloom is off an he starts to take YOU granted."

I've always been of the opinion that the TRUE measure of what a person is REALLY like can be determined by how he/she treats subordinates or underlings in the social pecking order. A truly good person will treat a garbage collector or waiter just as well as he treats a congressman or a business associate.

Helms didn't seem to do that at all.

Ken
Brilliant. Thank you.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM

You're way too nice yourself about this serious problem, Ken, but anyway

I realize nothing can be done.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,617 times
The man is dead. What does all this really matter anyway???? He did what he did and it can't be changed. Beating a dead horse is not going to make it any more dead.

BTW, great post Ken! I had to give you rep for that one!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
The man is dead. What does all this really matter anyway???? He did what he did and it can't be changed. Beating a dead horse is not going to make it any more dead.
In fact it can be changed.

Why are we all on City-Data? You just feel compelled to speak up for what you believe to be right, even though you know the other person isn't going to see it your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies