U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 AM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,959,164 times
Reputation: 3315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The bible says its wrong,I believe its unatural as well,but what someone does in privacy is not my concern.Flaunting it is another matter.I once worked with a gay guy,I got along with him well,wish him well.I would feel uncomfortable seeing him cozy up with his partner like a man and woman would but to each their own.
Don't feel bad. A lot of people don't feel comfortable watching any couple flaunting their relationship -- homosexual, heterosexual -- it doesn't matter. I think "cozying up to your partner" is best done in private.

I've had friends who are in gay relationships and straight relationships -- and I think outsiders feel very uncomfortable when either start getting overly amorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 AM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,959,164 times
Reputation: 3315
I'm straight but I own a business where I have some gay customers and a considerable amount of interaction with the gay community.

The idea of someone being gay doesn't bother me in the least -- though I have always wondered one thing: Why is it that the nicest, straightest appearing gays sometimes manage to team up with someone so totally flamboyant? Is it that "opposites attract" thing?

I have a friend ("Greg") who is friends with many other people I do business with. Greg couldn't be a nicer, sweeter, more down to earth person. Everyone adores him. He looks and dresses totally normal, like any male would. He's just a "great guy."

He recently showed up with his latest boyfriend and everyone was shocked. His boyfriend was short, rather chubby and over 45 years old. He had dyed blond hair in a short ultra-curly style. He was dressed in tight hot pink spandex shorts with his tummy sticking out and a bare midriff t-shirt top. He was Gay with a capital G.

Since the industry has a lot of gays, no one was totally shocked -- but my business partner and I wondered what it is -- why are straight looking gay men attracted to the most flamboyant gay men? None of us would hesitate to invite Greg for a night out on the town with us -- but his new boyfriend? I think a lot of us would rather pass. I don't think we know a subtle way of asking "Could Mr. Chubby cover up a bit?"

Anyway, I've never understood this. I've had straight looking gay friends who have teamed up with other straight looking gay men -- but I don't get the straight looking gay guys who go for the "over the top" gay men. I just really don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,257 posts, read 43,533,921 times
Reputation: 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm straight but I own a business where I have some gay customers and a considerable amount of interaction with the gay community.

The idea of someone being gay doesn't bother me in the least -- though I have always wondered one thing: Why is it that the nicest, straightest appearing gays sometimes manage to team up with someone so totally flamboyant? Is it that "opposites attract" thing?
I think it's more like a "yin and yang" kind of thing, where they balance each other out... like my parents, who are as different as night & day. They're divorced now, though they did last for almost 30 years! But I've known more gay couples than I could count, and they consist of all different combinations. Even with the same person, I've seen them go for a variety of types. One friend of mine has dated "flamboyant" men (which he is, to some degree), as well as a few "macho" guys. So to each his/her own, I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 AM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,959,164 times
Reputation: 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think it's more like a "yin and yang" kind of thing, where they balance each other out... like my parents, who are as different as night & day. They're divorced now, though they did last for almost 30 years! But I've known more gay couples than I could count, and they consist of all different combinations. Even with the same person, I've seen them go for a variety of types. One friend of mine has dated "flamboyant" men (which he is, to some degree), as well as a few "macho" guys. So to each his/her own, I guess!
Ha! My business partner and I have both considered talking to Greg about his choice in men... Ahem. We're both waiting for him to find someone who makes us go instead of

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,257 posts, read 43,533,921 times
Reputation: 18754
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! My business partner and I have both considered talking to Greg about his choice in men... Ahem. We're both waiting for him to find someone who makes us go instead of

LOL... I've been trying to find my friend (the guy mentioned above) a good man for years, but can't seem to locate the "right" one. He always goes too young and handsome - and yes, that can be a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
699 posts, read 2,304,654 times
Reputation: 288
I think you can attribute this one situation to personal taste, just like you would any "teaming up" situation. I can't say that it is a common thing for guys to date someone completely different from themselves, at least not as different as you described. That would honestly be very rare. Masculine (it's not "straight acting" - straight men often aren't all that masculine) guys are typically what almost every type of guy wants...maybe the guy your friend was with has some money? I HAVE seen that situation a few times. But I haven't seen pink lycra since the 80's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
 
Location: South Florida
83 posts, read 304,781 times
Reputation: 50
Default Switching spouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As a gay male who is, believe it or not, neutral on the issue of same-sex marriage, I'd like to ask those of you on both sides of the fence to use this new thread to try to sway me to one side or the other. In my opinion, I don't need some legal document to flaunt around in order to prove that I've committed my heart to a lifelong of loving and caring for another human being, and even if PA pushes onward with a proposed ban on same-sex marriage in the upcoming years, that won't stop me from calling my significant other "hubby" in a non-legal sense. To me, with how volatile things are currently in this nation with the ongoing war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the turbulent economy that has yet to replace all of the manufacturing and white-collar career opportunities that have been slashed over the past seven years, the growing minority of Americans without health insurance, etc., I don't think any more "breath" should be wasted over "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." Then again, to the Pennsylvania Conservacrats (Socially-Conservative Democrats), this issue alone seems to trump any and all other issues brought to the table. WHY?

Someone please convince me one way or the other---Should I be fighting for equality or fade into obscurity and be grateful that the locals have matured enough to not chase us around with torches and pitchforks any longer? (Even though there's currently a local trial underway for a man who murdered another man due to his sexual orientation, but I digress). Republican Conservatives, what say you? Democratic Liberals, what say you?
I am so glad you started this thread. I was watching this program last night. An Anglo American family sends the mother/wife to a Anglo American female partnership home. The gay female is sent over to the straight White folks home. The straight people were mean, rude, always on each others nerves all the time, fighting, the Dad was an A**, the girls were being raised in a non loveing enviroment, with much hate, the mother had so much hate in her heart. As for the female lovers, they were the nicest people ever. Their kids were 100% educated, polite, etiquete etc..I could go on. I would take the females as my friends and have them over my home any time, before the straight couple who was so caught up in their own world. They were racist against all people, they had no compasion, I just can not stand thess type of people. She ven siad "there are more people like me out there" OMG that is scary. Next Friday part 2. The female partnership are married have been together for 20+ years. They were the most adorable couple ever. They spoke soft and elegantly. I accept gay people, but I never thought I would accept them in marriage...and after last night, I have to say - the love between them was amazing. Their love was much stronger than the other couple who had no love. It was also an eye opener that people are still racist in this world. Please do what you feel in your heart Gay people have come along way, proving and doing and raising children. You are almost accepted by all. You see the truth is just about every family has a gay member.... SEX is not an issue, it's about who you are inside. I would take the good gay community over bad straight people anytime.

Go Gay Marriage! Raise better children with loveing hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,367,536 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
I am so glad you started this thread. I was watching this program last night. An Anglo American family sends the mother/wife to a Anglo American female partnership home. The gay female is sent over to the straight White folks home. The straight people were mean, rude, always on each others nerves all the time, fighting, the Dad was an A**, the girls were being raised in a non loveing enviroment, with much hate, the mother had so much hate in her heart. As for the female lovers, they were the nicest people ever. Their kids were 100% educated, polite, etiquete etc..I could go on. I would take the females as my friends and have them over my home any time, before the straight couple who was so caught up in their own world. They were racist against all people, they had no compasion, I just can not stand thess type of people. She ven siad "there are more people like me out there" OMG that is scary. Next Friday part 2. The female partnership are married have been together for 20+ years. They were the most adorable couple ever. They spoke soft and elegantly. I accept gay people, but I never thought I would accept them in marriage...and after last night, I have to say - the love between them was amazing. Their love was much stronger than the other couple who had no love. It was also an eye opener that people are still racist in this world. Please do what you feel in your heart Gay people have come along way, proving and doing and raising children. You are almost accepted by all. You see the truth is just about every family has a gay member.... SEX is not an issue, it's about who you are inside. I would take the good gay community over bad straight people anytime.

Go Gay Marriage! Raise better children with loveing hearts.
I hate to sound like a bigot, cause I'm not, but while I think it might be ok for gays to adopt, they should not adopt same sex children. You need to consider the abuse a boy will suffer in school for having two gay men for parents. The same goes for women and girls. THAT is what makes it wrong. Sometimes you just have to accept reality and think of the children. While it's fine to say "who cares what anyone thinks", you need to consider the emotional health of the children.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 AM
 
Location: South Florida
83 posts, read 304,781 times
Reputation: 50
Default the children are important

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I hate to sound like a bigot, cause I'm not, but while I think it might be ok for gays to adopt, they should not adopt same sex children. You need to consider the abuse a boy will suffer in school for having two gay men for parents. The same goes for women and girls. THAT is what makes it wrong. Sometimes you just have to accept reality and think of the children. While it's fine to say "who cares what anyone thinks", you need to consider the emotional health of the children.

-TT
It's just that these kids are being raised with so much love. They turn out to be great people. I see so many children with out any love in them. Now that you mentioned the emotional health, I don't want any pain caused to children and it could happen in school. OK so gay marriage is ok, can we agree on that? But when raising children make sure to be in a community where this is accepted? Maybe the parents can also be descrete? I know there is so much hate in the world. I wonder why people still live in the old days and they do not get with the program and stop all this hate. I was not raised with hate, so I do not understand this nor do I understand not accepting good people regardless of what sex, color or race they are. But you are right, kids will be mean not just to the children with gay parents but to anyone who are not like them. So there is lots to consider. You have a valid point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,367,536 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
It's just that these kids are being raised with so much love. They turn out to be great people. I see so many children with out any love in them. Now that you mentioned the emotional health, I don't want any pain caused to children and it could happen in school. OK so gay marriage is ok, can we agree on that? But when raising children make sure to be in a community where this is accepted? Maybe the parents can also be descrete? I know there is so much hate in the world. I wonder why people still live in the old days and they do not get with the program and stop all this hate. I was not raised with hate, so I do not understand this nor do I understand not accepting good people regardless of what sex, color or race they are. But you are right, kids will be mean not just to the children with gay parents but to anyone who are not like them. So there is lots to consider. You have a valid point.
Well you're right there. Kids are mean to anyone not like them, period. So no matter what an adopted child with gay parents is going to catch some heat in grade school. That's why I really don't LIKE the idea at all, but at the very least gay should not be allowed to adopt same sex children unless there is a blood relation to one parent already.

All I did was MOVE a lot and I caught hell in school when I was a kid. Glad I did, because I can handle certain situations better than most, but nevertheless I caught some crap myself over basically nothing. I can only imagine what a little boy named "Tucker" is going to catch with two guys for parents, lol. Poor hypothetical kid. I feel bad for him already and he's not even real.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top