Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
yes, and those who fill those lower positions are usually teenagers. are you not following me? let's unionize mcdonalds!
really? teenagers fill all lower paying positions? LOL

i was using mcdonalds as an example, didn't mean to stump you up. lol

why is it so hard to realize or admit not everyone can be rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this might be true in a big city or state but in hawaii and other rural places there really is no jobs or indusrty or opportunity to move up. so you live your life at miniumum wage or get that ten cents an hour raise. sometimes being a great worker and wanting better for your family is not what makes it happen
I know a black man who grew up in a rural area of Mississippi, in a very poor area. His mom was poor but worked cleaning houses. He joined the military and went up the ranks and his family -- as are all his siblings, -- solidly middle class.

I'm sure all of us can think of someone who actually was poor at one time but made the choice to get out of that. Not by any super - amazing feats or brilliant invention. Just showing up for work, being reliable, doing what it takes.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
Yes, that is the more detailed version. Either way one is billed unless they plan on spending their life in poverty, which I don't think our young friend here plans on since she is pursuing higher education. It's good to know the facts, but having those facts without exploring all options is useless and self-sabotaging.
This thread concerns questions on poverty and why people are poor. The "I'll never get ahead because I fall in category X,Y Z, and the system is keeping me down" attitude will invariably lead to poverty and misery.
This proves that your advertised IQ of 140 does not indicate the capacity for wisdom.

Btw, what is your Emotional IQ???

Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
who did you stump? teenagers and people with no work experience fill lower paying positions. see, the more experience you have, the more valuable you are to the employer. economics 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
really? teenagers fill all lower paying positions? LOL

i was using mcdonalds as an example, didn't mean to stump you up. lol

Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know a black man who grew up in a rural area of Mississippi, in a very poor area. His mom was poor but worked cleaning houses. He joined the military and went up the ranks and his family -- as are all his siblings, -- solidly middle class.

I'm sure all of us can think of someone who actually was poor at one time but made the choice to get out of that. Not by any super - amazing feats or brilliant invention. Just showing up for work, being reliable, doing what it takes.
I agree there are people who grew up poor and now are better off. however just using the example of my state even if you are well educated you sometimes can't get out of the way of being low income. should people have to move away from their familys or their homeland to make more money. some do but we shouldn't put the ones who pick to stay in their home state and with their families as prefering to stay poor.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
who did you stump? teenagers and people with no work experience fill lower paying positions. see, the more experience you have, the more valuable you are to the employer. economics 101.
there you go. those 'lower paying positions' exist. hence, if they exist then it exists to be filled, that means someone has to fill that position. that's why the premise that poverty is totally a personal choice is unfair in light of the fact society has constructed that position as well as pay expecting someone to fill it and work for that income.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
Get a second job. No noe says you are only allowed to do what you went to school for or only allowed to work one job. People always have choices - they may not always like them, but the choices are always there. The "woe is me" attitude is why the harder road is also called the less traveled road. Most people are not willing to fight the hard times to reach the good times. Once you feel that "woe is me", "it's not my fault" syndrome, then you are mentally poor, and probably will always be poor, or at least have a greater chance of cycling through poverty again and again throughout your life.
Do you take into consideration time for sleeping and eating, bathing, cleaning your home, buying what little food you can afford?

Don't know for sure, but I've heard that sleep is actually good for the human body and if one abuses the body long enough, it will break down. What do you suggest, 3 jobs a day, 7 days a week? Or maybe just 3 jobs a day (1 at MacDonalds, 1 at Wendys, and 1 night shift security guard?) just 6 days a week?

Some people are just simply too tired to even think "woe is me." Different bodies have different capacities.......that's related to "genes" and nutrition when you're a child.

Ahhh, but I see that you subscribe to the INVINCIBLE SUPERHUMAN American being who can achieve ANYTHING, beyond all obstacles.

Do you read comic books much?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegie View Post
Don't bash the OP. It's not his fault your knees hurt. What are YOU doing to improve your situation?
And how old are you? Was that 93, of 13?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I agree there are people who grew up poor and now are better off. however just using the example of my state even if you are well educated you sometimes can't get out of the way of being low income. should people have to move away from their familys or their homeland to make more money. some do but we shouldn't put the ones who pick to stay in their home state and with their families as prefering to stay poor.
i know many hawaiians have to work two, sometimes three jobs just to survive and take care of their families. it's mostly the service and tourism industry there. it seems most of these poster's logic is that they should move out of hawaii and some little green elves will come along and take the low paying jobs they left.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
um, you do realize that you are debating with someone who is no longer a member right?
No. I just started reading this thread. From Post #1.

What happened to that "someone"? Did he quit? Was he banned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies