Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Now if only more people thought like you....
Thank you. In my humble opinion, the decision to have children is such a personal endeavor and I cannot understand why anyone but the people involved have an opinion one way or another.

Too often people feel entitled to give the gift of their opinion when it is unwelcome. I am sorry you have encountered so many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have my undergrad degree and masters from Boston College and I have 6 children...what does that make me???
unusual ...
not something you see very often for sure.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
unusual ...
not something you see very often for sure.
I'll take that as a compliment...I think

Actually, I know several people who are incredibly well educated and have several children ( more than 3). They went to UNC Chapel Hill, Georgetown, William and Mary, Emory...It is not that uncommon here.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:24 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Quote:
I have my undergrad degree and masters from Boston College and I have 6 children...what does that make me???
I'm not sure that it was meant to be taken in a way that says educated people are not having children. I think that what was being said is that people who are educated, who do have a college degree, most of those people, not all, are working, have careers, and can afford to have an abortion if they choose. I made a comment about this statement as well in my post, but there is truth to this statement. I applaud you for having 6 kids and I applaud you for having a masters from Boston College (WOW!!!) BUT...it is true that more and more women who are educated are opting to have abortions while the less educated and less financially stable are the ones having more and more children. I believe the poster used the word 'dumb' to describe the ones having children and that was inappropriate because they are not necessarily dumb just uneducated on options out there and financially strained.
For those people who have children and are educated as well, like yourself, I do not think that it was an attack on you or me for that matter, but instead a generalization of what has been happening in recent years. Of course there are plenty of educated women who are married (some not) having children and there is nothing wrong with that. But, then that goes off the OP regarding women feeling pressured to have kids.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I'm not sure that it was meant to be taken in a way that says educated people are not having children. I think that what was being said is that people who are educated, who do have a college degree, most of those people, not all, are working, have careers, and can afford to have an abortion if they choose. I made a comment about this statement as well in my post, but there is truth to this statement. I applaud you for having 6 kids and I applaud you for having a masters from Boston College (WOW!!!) BUT...it is true that more and more women who are educated are opting to have abortions while the less educated and less financially stable are the ones having more and more children. I believe the poster used the word 'dumb' to describe the ones having children and that was inappropriate because they are not necessarily dumb just uneducated on options out there and financially strained.
For those people who have children and are educated as well, like yourself, I do not think that it was an attack on you or me for that matter, but instead a generalization of what has been happening in recent years. Of course there are plenty of educated women who are married (some not) having children and there is nothing wrong with that. But, then that goes off the OP regarding women feeling pressured to have kids.
Thank you for your explanation. While childless women and men are questioned about their choices, people like me are also under examination for my choices. No one can win these days. There seems to be a lack of respect for others decisions that do not necessarily fit the "norm"...such a shame.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Quote:
thank you for your explanation. While childless women and men are questioned about their choices, people like me are also under examination for my choices. No one can win these days. There seems to be a lack of respect for others decisions that do not necessarily fit the "norm"...such a shame.
agreed!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its open season on parents, its a lousy job, the pay is rotten and everybody bad mouths you and you get no respect or support.
yet so many still wana do it.
yet its one of the few acts of love i still see goin on. most wana hook up to get their needs or vanity met, endless sea of self glorification, kids are one of the few acts of pure love i see goin. for all my clever statements i opted out bek i did not want to face the cross, the jeering mob and the humiliation of defeat, a mean mama and another loser kid.
Then, according to the linked statistics, do so many people abuse or neglect their kids?
That’s no love.
It’s certainly not pure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
While I agree that not everyone should have kids what would you have us do? Mandatory sterilization, Euthanezia (sp) forced work camps for those insanely large faimlies.They tried all that once back in the 30's
I addressed that already.
Education, availability of birth control, keeping religion out of our pharmacies and lives.
Allowing women to take the steps they choose for their bodies.
Quit demonizing and treating women in a condescending matter; they are more than baby machines.
As far as society choosing that people need to have 2 jobs in a family. Bunk.
People choose their lives. If you choose to live in a giant house and have several cars and all the bills that go along with that, that’s your choice, don’t blame society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I can understand what you are saying, and certainly think that any Woman or Girl that finds herself in a the position of an "unwanted pregnancy", should by all means be able to consider giving that child up for adoption with out others making her feel guilty. Having said that, I also think our society today has made the role of being a Mother, pretty insignificant and we have reduced the act of creating and giving birth to a living human being, our own flesh and blood, down to a decision of convenience! Perhaps ,those woman who absolutely dont want children, should, think about that a little more when they are about to commit the act that results in pregnancy!
How absolutely condescending.
Women are adults and can make up their own minds, they don’t need you, or any other man, to decide what options should be available to them.
You have decided that abortion should not be an option. Then you shouldn’t have one, keep out of my private business.
Oh yes, women who don’t want kids should be celibate? Try a small dose of reality, that’s not going to happen.
Interesting political agenda you’re pushing on women.
How about all men keep it in their pants.

I was sterilized. Do you know what it takes for a woman to get sterilized?
Most doctors won’t perform sterilization on women because they’re afraid that women don’t know their own minds? Yet they know them well enough to have kids.

Silas, your comments are far, far removed from the reality of the situation; at that, it’s a situation you’ll never ever understand.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Wisteria, I agree with a lot of your comments.
I think that TV and media have pushed it to this current state as well as pandering to the religious.
Do people really need 4,000 sf homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Wisteria-
I was trying not to make this a pro-life/pro-choice debate. I used the example of a woman already being pregnant, giving her baby up for adoption as a way to simply signify how there is pressure there to be a mother even if she does not want be.
That is NOT what I want this thread to be.
We have dozens of abortion/anti-abortion threads and I’d prefer that this not devolve into another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Originally Posted by chielgirl

While I agree that not everyone should have kids what would you have us do? Mandatory sterilization, Euthanezia (sp) forced work camps for those insanely large faimlies.They tried all that once back in the 30's
You misquoted me here. I never said anything like that.
I use a spell check.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Childlessness by Choice: An Acceptable Alternative (article) by Macey Delena Baggett Wuesthoff on AuthorsDen

Some studies have shown the more education a woman has, the less kids she has. Of course there are exceptions to the rules, I don't think anyone was trying to blanket all educated people as people who only have one or two kids.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Thank you. In my humble opinion, the decision to have children is such a personal endeavor and I cannot understand why anyone but the people involved have an opinion one way or another.

Too often people feel entitled to give the gift of their opinion when it is unwelcome. I am sorry you have encountered so many of them.
Eh, I get lots of unwelcome opinions, I'm used it.
Pro-choice, child free african-american atheist lesbian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies