Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, what, exactly, do you hope to accomplish with this thread?

It calls upon evidence from a highly suspect source that ignores cultural context, and uses it as yet another example of... what, exactly? That being gay makes you unhappy? That kids shouldn't go getting all gay, or else they'll get syphilis and become bi-polar?

I swear you'd think that homosexuality was invented in roughly 1974 to read some of this nonsense...

People are, and have been, gay for some time. I know many happy, healthy gay people, and would probably know more happy gay people if they weren't constantly being told that their very existence is sinful and evil and unbecoming and wrong. The attitudes demonstrated in your "study" are the very attitudes that perpetuate the problems "exposed" in the study... which is kinda the point, right? Self-fulfilling prophecies are mighty convenient sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
IF the statistics are true , then it is not exactly surprising considering that society has tried and mostly succeeded in making Gay people feel like outsiders, like "freaks".
Having to deny who you are on a daily basis in fear of rejection and ostracism cannot be too good for your mental well being and morale.

We have for centuries imposed our self righteous sense of morality and forced a part of the population to deny their very own being, and even nowadays many people are too scared of the public reaction ( even from loved ones, family and friends) to come out. They have for centuries have to had to be invisible, shadows made ashamed of their true feelings. I find this profoundly sad and shocking.

We have not fostered a nurturing environment for Gay people to be comfortable with simply being who they are and that to me is unacceptable and shocking.

Being in constant fear of mental and even physical reprisals simply for being "different" must put a huge weight on one's shoulders and make the world an even harsher place to live.

Intolerance an bigotry are not good for its victims .

Depression is already a huge problem for straight people as the world is already a difficult enough place to be but should any of us dare not to follow the pre-ordained path some assume we must all follow then it must be a very scary and cold place indeed.

Being Gay is not what makes you depressed. Being ostracised, mocked and vilified however will probably do it. One only has to look at the many, many homophobic posts on this forum to realise that being Gay can be a lonely and awful thing.

We have on the surface evolved into a slightly more mature and respectful society but being different is still considered by many a crime worthy of attacks , social snubs and violence.

I would be pretty depressed if people attacked who I was simply because it did not fit their neat little idea of what "normal" is or should be.
It is nothing short of bullying and this kind of archaic attitude really needs to stop . Nobody has the right to make an innocent person feel like c--p simply because it makes them feel uncomfortable that not everyone conforms.

Bullying is wrong no matter who the victims are and leads to all sorts of problems.

If we accepted Gay people as truly valid members of society with the same exact rights, and stopped attaching a stigma to homosexuality then maybe depression would not be such a problem. At least no more than for straight people. Time to even the playing field a bit and behave like mature , intelligent adults and treat other human beings with the respect , tolerance and acceptance they deserve.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-26-2008 at 05:57 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 05:43 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Excellent posts CarolinaBredChicagaon and Mooseketeer

Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Of course they suffer from depression because they are not the norm. They try to fit in. Stupid post.

As for STDs, just think of two guys together because of their high testosterones. However, I don't fault them at all. It's in the man's nature to be more sexually aroused. I bet if you get the stats for lesbians, the curve would fall steeply.

Actually, women can be every bit as sexual as men.........................except when they're cursed with a lousy lover

Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginclock View Post
Gays should NOT be raising children, they cannot produce. It's abusive to the child and the child is forced into an abnormal situation.
I am a straight guy here, and I can give you an example. In College I met a male friend, along with his sister, that were raised by two gay fathers. At first I though it was the most weirdest thing. Many horrible thoughts came to my mind, like maybe he was sexually abuse or that he was gay himself. But we became buddies and he turn out to be so hetero. We will sleep around with so many girls back then and brag about it. LOL. He always had something nice to say about his two gay fathers. Now he is marry (so is his sister) and have two kids of his own. So I seriously don't believe that been raised by gay people will make you gay or make you a victim of sexual abuse. You just have to be born gay you can't learn that stuff.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
The premise of the thread is ludicrous, and many posters have already explained why.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Of course they suffer from depression because they are not the norm. They try to fit in. Stupid post.

As for STDs, just think of two guys together because of their high testosterones. However, I don't fault them at all. It's in the man's nature to be more sexually aroused. I bet if you get the stats for lesbians, the curve would fall steeply.

I agree with the second part. Men for the most part have more sexual partners than women so...two guys...oh gosh.

I don't really try to fit in but I know I've felt some depression in my early teens because I cared too much about what others thought about me and I was worried sick if I would lose friends if/when they found out I was a lesbian. I finally figured out that they weren't my true friends to begin with if they stopped being my friend simply because I'm a lesbian.

As far as gay and lesbian adults being depressed, they might be depressed because they can't be as open about who they are, they might be afraid they will lose their job because of their sexuality, AND/OR they might be depressed because they don't know many other gays and lesbians where they live.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
These are both pretty Duh!

If I were a member of a group that was constantly under attack by society, I would be depreseed too.

If I were prohibited by law from entering into an enduring relationsh8p with a continuing domestic parther of my preference, I would be more likely to have multipe or serial parthers,, and thus more exposed to STDs.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Ostracization from society because of who you were born to love tends to make people unhappy.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM

73 posts, read 133,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, not necessarily...

It may be possible for women to "father" their own children within a few years
Perfect example of suboptimal. Can't wait until cloning starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies