Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times

Advertisements

You know I have a point of view more in line with the right on this... I can't however continue to have this continual nagging at me that says something much much deeper and more disturbing is going on here. Our country is polarizing and there is something to be said in military studies for divide and conquer and how effective it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Classic right wing, hate monger reaction. When victims of oppression fight back it's terrorism. Orwell would be proud. They should burn now these monuments to stupidity and hatred.

"Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you."

Exactly correct. Since you blindly agree with all things liberal, this hate crime is not really a hate crime because the perpetrators of the hate crime claim to be victims of the people they committed the hate crime against. Classic liberal M.O.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Remember this fine educator?
FOXNews.com - Student Sues 'Anti-Christian' Teacher Over Remarks in Class - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Chad Farnan, a 16-year-old sophomore, says the teacher, James Corbett, told his students that “Jesus glasses” obscure the truth and suggested that Christians are more likely than other people to commit rape and murder.
Farnan recorded his teacher telling students in class: “What country has the highest murder rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rape rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rate of church attendance? The South!” Farnan said he took the tape recorder to class to supplement his class notes.

Great post sailordave! I'd love to see some justice in this case.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
For example:
1. Orientation usually includes a diversity acceptance seminar, which is different than tolerance. The law says you have to tolerate everyone, and committ no crimes against them. However, the university says you MUST accept them no matter what (a liberal view) whether or not your beliefs go along with it, or you are not welcome.
Huh? I never heard of such a seminar... and even if that was the case, do you have a problem with being accepting of everyone? I'm not sure how somebody could find an issue with instilling those values.

Quote:
2. Often, the university has a "theme" of global warming and requires students to complete assignments in certain courses on it. You MAY NOT take the view that it does not exist or humans are not at fault, otherwise you fail.
Where did you hear this? We were never forced to write on global warming, and any politically-charged essay topics were left open - we were allowed to choose the issue and form our own hypothesis. Do you have any evidence that something like this has happened?

Quote:
3. Most of the speeches and events are left leaning.
I guess that depends on where you attend college, and what type of college it is. I HIGHLY doubt that places like Liberty University, Arkansas Baptist College and BYU have too many left-leaning events.

Quote:
4. Student liberals outnumber conservatives on my campus 7-1. (And I go to school in the South.)
Not much you can do about that, and I don't think the college administration could do much either... maybe there's just a higher percentage of liberals in college?

Quote:
5. 75% of professors are left leaning. In fact the only ones I've had who weren't lefties were either in military science or criminal justice (the former cops) courses.
See above.

Quote:
6. In subjective graded courses with lefty professors, you either suck up to them or take the lower grade. Objective courses are not nearly as bad.
All "subjective graded courses" are at the mercy of their professor's opinions - whether it's their political leanings, views on gender/sex, religion, even where and how they grew up. If you find a professor is being blatantly unfair and biased, you should file a complaint with the board.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So does that mean gays should not seek approval in a state that won't accept them?
They can seek it, but I'm sure they wouldn't be surprised if a gay marriage ban passed in Alabama... Prop 8, however, was a huge shock to most of us (Californians).

Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
http://www.dof.ca.gov/HTML/DEMOGRAP/...ents/SF4CA.pdf

Family households: 7,985,489 69.4%
Nonfamily households: 3,526,531 30.6%

What was the outcome % of the vote for prop 8?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
So does that mean gays should not seek approval in a state that won't accept them?
Well for starters I believe gays are seeking to NOT be discriminated against because of their inherent homosexual orientation and to have the same rights as heterosexuals. Not so much "approval", as there will undoubtedly always be someone who doesn't know, and doesn't want to know, what sexual orientation is and doesn't "approve" of homosexuality.

And for seconds, a far-right-winged conservative having their views challenged a little by what they perceive as far-left views in Universities (probably just to the right of centre ) is hardly the same thing as not being "accepted" or accorded the same rights because of your sexual orientation.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
It's a shame that gays should even have to think about seeking "approval" from all of the non-gays.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
http://www.dof.ca.gov/HTML/DEMOGRAP/...ents/SF4CA.pdf

Family households: 7,985,489 69.4%
Nonfamily households: 3,526,531 30.6%

What was the outcome % of the vote for prop 8?
The vote for Prop. 8 was 52-48.

What's the point you're trying to make?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you."

Exactly correct. Since you blindly agree with all things liberal, this hate crime is not really a hate crime because the perpetrators of the hate crime claim to be victims of the people they committed the hate crime against. Classic liberal M.O.
Good grief you Americans seem to love to label each other as left and right, conservative and liberal, red and blue etc and then assign a whole skew of beliefs and behaviour to each. Are there any up and down people? Round or square? Lumpy or smooth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies