Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Delightful. Defending a congressman preying on young pages and a Senator who calls an Indian man a monkey... keep it up! It's funny how some folks want to move the party to the future as a big tent party and others are just intent on keeping it a regional, old, white-man party. Cool...
Agree, it's amazing what the GOP "base" will allow when it's THEIR guy trying to bugger little boys or speak racist talk. Is it any reason well-respected conservative op-ed writers are publishing pieces about the GOP being out of touch.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
EEE - let me ask you this:

Is either oil or spreading democracy in places the people don't want it worth risking the lives of millions of AMERICAN young men and costing America trillions of dollars?

Please answer the question.
Trillions of dollars? Uh, the entire war cost $700 or so billion. You must be thinking of one of Obama's bailouts. As far as "risking millions of American lives", the risk would have been had Bush not responded forcefully.

He did. Bush ended up being right, and you liberals were wrong. So why are you harping now?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Trillions of dollars? Uh, the entire war cost $700 or so billion. You must be thinking of one of Obama's bailouts. As far as "risking millions of American lives", the risk would have been had Bush not responded forcefully.

He did. Bush ended up being right, and you liberals were wrong. So why are you harping now?
Bush was a liberal. War and excessive spending are both liberal policies.

I'm not a liberal so quit calling me that.

$700 or so billion will easily add up to over a trillion before it's all said and done. The risk could have come if Bush had not responded in Afghanistan, but Iraq is a completely different matter. Period.

And BTW, I'm just as frustrated with Obama's bailouts as I am with Bush's insane war. I haven't been pleased with what's been going on in Washington for a LOOOONG time and am still not.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm not a liberal so quit calling me that.
I think he labels anyone who disagrees with him as a liberal.

If that's not it, then it's that anyone who isn't extremely conservative gets called a liberal.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think he labels anyone who disagrees with him as a liberal.

If that's not it, then it's that anyone who isn't extremely conservative gets called a liberal.
Yep, so much for THE BIG TENT PARTY of the so-called GOP. More like THE BIG LIE party.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep, so much for THE BIG TENT PARTY of the so-called GOP. More like THE BIG LIE party.
I feel a little sorry for intelligent moderate conservatives like Afo. They get kicked around and shut out by the loud extremists in his party who have an all-or-nothing mentality.

I know there's militants on the left, and I don't like that either, but I don't think they have even close to the stranglehold that the hardcore conservatives have on the right.

Look at the Democratic Party's convention last year, and then the audience at Obama's victory speech. It was a beautiful cross-section of America.

Then look at the Republican Party's convention and the audience at John McCain's concession speech. I won't use descriptive language here. I'll just say: It was quite the opposite.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,362 times
Quote:
Yeah, how many pro-lifers do y'all have speaking at the Democrat Convention, Mike? How many anti-gay marriage speakers? Did you let anti-war senator and your 2000 VEEP candidate speak at your last convention? Nope. He spoke at ours.

So tell me all about the freaking Big Tent party.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I feel a little sorry for intelligent moderate conservatives like Afo. They get kicked around and shut out by the loud extremists in his party who have an all-or-nothing mentality.

I know there's militants on the left, and I don't like that either, but I don't think they have even close to the stranglehold that the hardcore conservatives have on the right.

Look at the Democratic Party's convention last year, and then the audience at Obama's victory speech. It was a beautiful cross-section of America.

Then look at the Republican Party's convention and the audience at John McCain's concession speech. I won't use descriptive language here. I'll just say: It was quite the opposite.
Agree. I don't like extremes on either end, but right now the insane far right dwarfs anything on the left. And yes, the whack jobs who've taken over the GOP have pushed out moderates like myself who voted GOP most of the time, but not since the moron from Lynchburg started his moral majority (which was / is NEITHER).

Very true too that when we saw Obama's election night speech and his inauguration as PRESIDENT that the Big Tent is alive and well, on the DEM side of the aisle.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
right now the insane far right dwarfs anything on the left. And yes, the whack jobs who've taken over the GOP have pushed out moderates like myself who voted GOP most of the time
Arlen Specter provides a good example of this. He barely won his Republican primary six years ago, and for this upcoming primary, he knew he was doomed by right-wing forces in his own party, so he got out of the GOP.

It's all very predictable: The Republicans in Pennsylvania will nominate a hard-core right-winger, and then Specter will win the general election.

Such a conundrum, isn't it?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Arlen Specter provides a good example of this. He barely won his Republican primary six years ago, and this time around, he knew he was doomed.

It's all very predictable: The Republicans in Pennsylvania will nominate a hard-core right-winger, and then Specter will win the general election.

Such a conundrum, isn't it?
Agree. Specter even provided a list of good 'moderate' GOP'ers that the wingnuts engineered to lose office.

At this point, about all that's left of the GOP is the far right wingnuts, they've destroyed the economically sophisticated, political intellectuals of the GOP that existed with I was a young person. It's all gone now, gone with the wind. The only GOP wind blowing now is a scorching blowtorch of hate and intolerance, fueled by money-hungry bigots hiding behind their pulpits and waving a bible like it's a weapon, instead of an instrument of brotherhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies