Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Well, your are partly right and partly wrong. The Christian Conservatives pushed the social pendulum way too far to the right for most of America. The abortion issue is a legitimate issue for them and they should have stuck with it. Their anti-gay agenda and anti gay marriage agenda turned off most of America. Gays are not infringing upon anyone else's rights even if they are allowed to get married. Most are against these things based upon their religious views and beliefs which have nothing to do with legitimate state interests. The final straw for me was when Congress intervened in the Terry Schiavo case where they had no right to be and had no jurisdiction.

Then George Bush attacked Iraq for no reason. He told us some reasons but they were all bogus. This was what Bush called a 'preemtive' war. Everyone knows that if there were no oil in Iraq, we would not have attacked Iraq. Now if we have to fight a legitimate war we will be in much worse shape to do so because of the blood and treasure lost in Iraq.

Then George Bush forgot that he had a veto pen. I don't think he vetoed anything until his last year in office.

The Republicans do indeed have to jettison the Religious Right on many so called 'Family Values'. They need to stick to the abortion issue and leave the rest of us alone if we are not infringing on anyone else's rights unless there is a legitimate state interest. They need to be fiscally conservative and socially moderate. That, my friend, is where most of American is.

- Reel
If it's just the mythical "far right" doing the anti-gay stuff, how do you explain gay marriage referendums failing in every single state in which they are voted on?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:46 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
If it's just the mythical "far right" doing the anti-gay stuff, how do you explain gay marriage referendums failing in every single state in which they are voted on?
That's true, but Republicans will almost certainly have to come out in favor of civil unions. A majority of the country now supports that type of legislation.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Here's what I'm against...bans on taking guns in most public places, requiring licensing for concealed handguns, etc.

But I will always be supportive of bans on machine guns, bans on felons having guns, etc.
I understand your thought, but my understanding is that persons intending to robb or maime do not care where they commit the crime. Public places that ban guns is the safest place for the felon to do his work. So for you to be a victum is to simply make a gun free zone. Drug addicts could care less about the law, and being nice to your daughter or wife while he threatens them. Concealed weapons holders have to complete a course and training with a very rigerous back ground check in my state.
I am disabled and easy prey to the bad guys out there, yes I carry concealed it just levels the field for me. I refuse to be an easy victum.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
I understand your thought, but my understanding is that persons intending to robb or maime do not care where they commit the crime. Public places that ban guns is the safest place for the felon to do his work. So for you to be a victum is to simply make a gun free zone. Drug addicts could care less about the law, and being nice to your daughter or wife while he threatens them. Concealed weapons holders have to complete a course and training with a very rigerous back ground check in my state.
I am disabled and easy prey to the bad guys out there, yes I carry concealed it just levels the field for me. I refuse to be an easy victum.
I am against banning guns in most public places, if you read my post.

The only gun control I support is:

1) bans on certain high-caliber weapons

2) bans on those under 18 or 21 from having guns

3) bans on felons having guns

4) bans on having guns in places like jails, schools, courthouses, and airplanes

Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Bottom line. You either think human life of the unborn should be protected or you don't. No such thing as an "almost abortion".
I hope you can see the religious extremism in your position and argument - especially making light of 500 women dying in childbirth a year as justification for NO EXCEPTIONS to the NO ABORTION dictate you would force us all to live under...

For your info, if abortion were illegal, women would return to dirty back alley rooms for abortions, or use coat-hangers - and then you'd see the rate of women dying in childbirth skyrocket... but that would be perfectly fine with you..

Why don't you keep your extremist religious positions to yourself and stop judging other people's morality - yours needs a tremendous amount of repair - why don't you start there if you want to do something good...

You are a bible-thumping religious extremist - who also - hypocritically - believes is unlimited gun ownership rights...

In my neck of the woods - someone like that is shunned as a 'religious whack job' - and rightly so...

Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I hope you can see the religious extremism in your position and argument - especially making light of 500 women dying in childbirth a year as justification for NO EXCEPTIONS to the NO ABORTION dictate you would force us all to live under...

For your info, if abortion were illegal, women would return to dirty back alley rooms for abortions, or use coat-hangers - and then you'd see the rate of women dying in childbirth skyrocket... but that would be perfectly fine with you..

Why don't you keep your extremist religious positions to yourself and stop judging other people's morality - yours needs a tremendous amount of repair - why don't you start there if you want to do something good...

You are a bible-thumping religious extremist - who also - hypocritically - believes is unlimited gun ownership rights...

In my neck of the woods - someone like that is shunned as a 'religious whack job' - and rightly so...

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:

EEE is a bible-thumping religious extremist, but I am not and am pro-life. I'm barely religious, if at all.

You can't possibly suggest that pro-life automatically equals religious zealot.

I should make clear, however, that I am 100% FOR contraceptives and am for legal abortion in the case of rape or medical necessity.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I mentioned religion? When? I made light of 500 women dying in childbirth? When? And what makes you think the issue of the fetus livng or dying had anything to do with these women's deaths. Likely many of them were aneurysms. Obesity is a large factor in maternal death.

If people do nasty behaviors like shoot themselves up with crack, have sex with an AIDS-infected prostitute, or give themselves abortions, then they are subject to the unpleasant consequences these risky and vile behaviors result in. If you violate laws of human decency like that, you pay the price.

Why don't you take your religious bigotry with you and think about accomplishing something worthwhile instead of spewing this KKK-brand of hatred.?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM

EEE - it's Sunday morning. What are you doing sitting behind a computer?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
EEE - it's Sunday morning. What are you doing sitting behind a computer?
I went to early morning mass. Thanks for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.