Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM

355 posts, read 447,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you consider yourself to be pretty way over in the right, but you don't agree with all the actions or beliefs of other people or groups that may be as far to the right as you, or further right? You make up your own mind. The Republicans don't make up your mind for you. The church you belong to doesn't make up your mind for you. You think for yourself?

So how is that different from the idea that Sotomayor doesn't agree with all the actions or beliefs of some of the more extremist people in the NCLR? If you are able to make up your own mind, then you must concede that she does the same. She may support certain activities of the groups she belongs to, and not support other activities.

If you are not defined by labels, then she is not defined by labels. Right?
(1) No I consider myself to be a mainstream conservative that believes in upholding the moral foundation of society.

(2) Yes I am intelligent enough to think and do for myself. If you have viewed my other postings you will clearly be enlightened by the fact that I do not support everything the Republican party has condoned or participated in.

(3) It still doesn't change the fact that Sotomayor is a member of La Raza. People that are members of such a leftist organization are grouping themselves with a particular extremist ideology, even if they proclaim to not agree with everything they stand for.

With that stated, I am not a member of any extremist organization, whether it is considered far-left or far-right; therefore I am not risking myself to be lumped with radicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
(1) No I consider myself to be a mainstream conservative that believes in upholding the moral foundation of society.

(2) Yes I am intelligent enough to think and do for myself. If you have viewed my other postings you will clearly be enlightened by the fact that I do not support everything the Republican party has condoned or participated in.

(3) It still doesn't change the fact that Sotomayor is a member of La Raza. People that are members of such a leftist organization are grouping themselves with a particular extremist ideology, even if they proclaim to not agree with everything they stand for.

With that stated, I am not a member of any extremist organization, whether it is considered far-left or far-right; therefore I am not risking myself to be lumped with radicals.
But none of what you have said makes Sotomayor an extremist. First of all, while you may consider the NCLR an extremist organization, you haven't established that. None of the material at NCLR's website espouses extremist ideology. The unfounded claims of Limbaugh or Tancredo are just unfounded claims. If you can substantiate your claims somehow, that would make all the difference. And just citing reports of Hispanic violence is not substantiation. To condemn an organization, you have to show that the organization actually is involved with the extremism, not that some of their members are extremists.

And while you may choose not be a member of any organizations, and therefore you don't take any risk of being labeled, it doesn't follow that other people shouldn't join groups that ostensibly advocate things they do believe in. I've pointed out in a related thread that the Polish American Congress could be likened to the NCLR. They focus their efforts on behalf of one specific ethnic group. They promote awareness of the Polish culture and language. They advocate people learning to speak and read Polish.

I'm sure you consider yourself to be a mainstream conservative. But every one of us considers ourselves to be more centrist than we actually are. I would consider Colin Powell to be a mainstream conservative. But I think you would consistently fall to the right of him. The reason I say this is because where we fall on the political spectrum has a bearing on where we think others fall. I might think Colin Powell is a mainstream conservative from my liberal perch. You might consider Colin Powell to be a liberal centrist. Our personal perspective affects how we view others. The majority of Sotomayor's opinions actually concur with Republican perspectives. So from my more liberal perspective (compared to your more conservative one), I actually see Sotomayor as a somewhat conservative Democrat.

Have you read many of her opinions? I've read several as well as the review of her Second Circuit civil case summaries on Scotusblog, and they are informative about her legal reasoning. She goes to great lengths to explain her reasoning for her decisions, and she consistently decides according to the rule of the law, not on her empathy with the parties involved.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default you mean Sotomayor?

If Stotomeyer turns out to be pro life, will liberals still support, conservatives oppose?
Based on political and social precedent, a racist statement trumps all qualifications and positions. She should not be appointed irrespective of her stance on abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies