Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Some of these people desperately need meds and treatment, no matter what the cost.
I could not agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM

133 posts, read 173,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It shows that there are people that just truly hate Obama and will use ANYTHING as an excuse to criticize him. He could save puppies from a burning building and they'd find a reason to criticize it.
That's because he would run in to save the puppies and leave the people behind.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Wow, you really know your stuff, don't ya? Are you insane? What do you think will cost more my friend, an aids test or healthcare for someone living w/aids? Why don't you just fess up, because it's Obama who said this & not your pal Limbaugh, Cheney or McCain, THAT is why all of you chicken littles are running around w/your heads cut off & your arms flapping, right?
"My pal Limbaugh, Cheney or McCain"... what are you, an idiot? I don't like any of those three and you keep ret@rded comments like this to yourself and yes, I do know A LOT about it... AIDS is incurable and treatment is not till WBC counts are low enough to warrant it... your friend living with AIDS is NOT COMMON enough to warrant the mass testing of people who aren't likely to have it... this isn't the Flu virus and it isn't as contagious as the ebola virus... if you don't know what you talking about.. pick up a book and read up about incidence, prevalance, reasons for vaccinations and what makes a GOOD screening tool... or you could just waste billions of dollars every year cause someone just got AIDS a year after they tested negative... if you want testing, there is no stopping you but don't play the idiot and draw on "sympathy" factors to try make a case out of pure delusion...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I hope you're as critical of Bush on this issue as you are of Obama.
Bush Administration to Suggest Routine AIDS Testing Procedures
April 18, 2003

By Ceci Connolly

THE WASHINGTON POST -- The nation’s top public health doctor, declaring current AIDS prevention programs a major disappointment, announced Thursday the Bush administration will begin encouraging doctors to offer routine HIV testing to all their patients, especially pregnant women.

http://tech.mit.edu/V123/N20/long_4_$20.20w.html
Yes, I think Bush is an idiot and I remember stating that FACT several hundreds of times... I don't pick on Obama alone, I pick on idiotic policies... it just happens Obama is making these dumb assertions... If it was anyone else, I would of said the same... what I am saying is not out of ideology but rather out of what we KNOW about what is a good screening tool... and as of right now it is NOT a good screening tool... routine testing of pregnant mothers is one of the best ideas because there is a VERY high chance to prevent HIV in infants if the mother is treated beforehand... there are no cures for HIV as of right now... screening for HIV is as smart as screening the entire population for Lou Gehrig's disease...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
So how else can we put a negative spin on this?

I know. Encouraging people to get tested for HIV encourages pre-material sex, which sends a message to the children that it's ok to be promiscuous.

What a horrible president!!!

Impeach him now so that we may perhaps stop the destruction of America!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. Privacy should be protected unless someone is committing a criminal act. Simply being HIV-positive is not a criminal act. He's comparing having a disease with being a sex offender. I think that's a terrible comparison.
Having HIV is not a criminal act but deliberately having sex without first informing your partner of your HIV status should be criminal as HIV can be a death sentence. I don't care if a condom is used or not as condoms can and do break; an HIV positive person should definitely inform their partner about their status so that partner can properly weigh the risks involved in having sexual activity with the infected person. I'm not so sure about the national database idea as not all HIV positive folks are going to behave irresponsible but there needs to be a way to protect folks from being unwittingly exposed to HIV by irresponsible HIV carriers.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
So how else can we put a negative spin on this?

I know. Encouraging people to get tested for HIV encourages pre-material sex, which sends a message to the children that it's ok to be promiscuous.
Other probable thoughts from visitors to this thread:

"Don't have sex and you won't have anything to worry about."

"Why should my tax dollars be used to reward someone else's risky behavior with a free HIV test?"

Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I agree. There should be a data base because those infected will still have sex. Even if they use a condom it is still high risk because condoms sometimes break or fall off.

People need to stay away from gay sex, drug use (sharing neeedles), multiple partners. and prostitutes. These are the highest risk for contracting AIDS.
It's the hard truth but imagine how we can reduce HIV and AIDS if folks would shy away from risky behaviors. This is precisely why I'm against the government spending so much money and time on AIDS when we have other diseases that need attention such as cancer research. For the record, I have no issues with Obama urging Americans to get tested for HIV/AIDS as he is just asking us to be responsible. My beef is with all the research for cures when AIDS is 100% preventable!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
There is a lot of speculative thought on how everyone but a select few are complete azzholes with regards to HIV testing. I am not seeing anything to support that though. Must be disapointing, eh?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Having HIV is not a criminal act but deliberately having sex without first informing your partner of your HIV status should be criminal as HIV can be a death sentence.
That doesn't address the debate he and I were having. He was saying there should be a public registry for anyone who tests positive for HIV. I disagreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies