Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) – President Barack Obama on Saturday urged his fellow Americans to get tested for HIV in an effort to reduce transmission of the virus that causes AIDS.

"On this 14th commemoration of National HIV Testing Day, I urge Americans to take control of their own health -- and protect those they love -- by getting tested for HIV and working to reduce HIV transmission," Obama said in a statement.

Obama urges Americans get tested for HIV - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090627/ts_alt_afp/healthaidsusobama - broken link)

Why should I go and get a HIV test? I live a monogamous relationship and have never used illegal drugs. Perhaps he should say Just say no to drugs and possible dangerous sexual encounters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Listening to some of these right-wing rants, I'm becoming more and more convinced we need some type of universal heathcare. Some of these people desperately need meds and treatment, no matter what the cost.
As long as the government does not start euthanizing them because the treatment costs are too high and it is deemed "futile". I am totally against euthanasia (sp?) regardless of what the patient's condition is.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
your friend living with AIDS is NOT COMMON enough to warrant the mass testing of people who aren't likely to have it.
Uh, where did I say I had a friends w/aids? Please point it out for me.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That doesn't address the debate he and I were having. He was saying there should be a public registry for anyone who tests positive for HIV. I disagreed.
I also stated that I did not agree with a registry but you edited that portion of my post. I do agree with him that something should be done but the registry idea may be just too extreme.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Why should I go and get a HIV test? I live a monogamous relationship and have never used illegal drugs. Perhaps he should say Just say no to drugs and possible dangerous sexual encounters.
Well, I hate to bring this up, I'm sure most people are aware of this, but I'll give it a go: um, because your PARTNER may be cheating on you? It's just an idea.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, I hate to bring this up, I'm sure most people are aware of this, but I'll give it a go: um, because your PARTNER may be cheating on you? It's just an idea.
My wife and I are tight. I take it you and yours are not so. Too bad.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
A lot of people who think they're in monogamous relationships - aren't.

"Just say no" is nice for 8-year-olds, but for adults, life is often a little too complicated for simple-minded slogans like that.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
My wife and I are tight. I take it you and yours are not so. Too bad.
Nope, I'm single. But one can never be too sure, you know? Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
A lot of people who think they're in monogamous relationships - aren't.

"Just say no" is nice for 8-year-olds, but for adults, life is often a little too complicated for simple-minded slogans like that.
Yes we know that even the simplest of slogan can't get through the thick skull of an idiot. I know my wife inside and out and her the same. Sad you believe that every person cheats. Well they don't. I did not meet my wife in a sewer.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
You think you live in a monogamous relationship. No one can be 100% sure of that, and that's how people become infected and don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies