Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
OMG the limit you all wont go to in order to avoid saying the entire conference was a waste.

So why couldnt the companies that had pre schdeuled their conference still had them but got a better deal on a hotel room.

waste is waste and each penny wasted adds up.

Where do you think they get the money for the budget
The mgrs had to all get "up to speed" and "on the same page," so the conf wasnt a waste. Not any more than any conference like this is, public or private.

"waste is waste and each penny wasted adds up" -- nice, you agree with Obama. Btw Obama's quote, just to have it here:
You cannot — you cannot — you cannot expect taxpayers to bail out banks that have made bad decisions when they are then using that money to give themselves huge bonuses.

So — so one of the things that we’ve said is, look, we understand that the banking system is fragile right now. And even though those folks made bad decisions, it could bring down the entire economy and affects towns like Elkhart, so we’re going to do something to strengthen the banking system.
But, you know, you are not going to be able to give out these big bonuses until you pay taxpayers back. You can’t get corporate jets. You can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayers’ dime. There’s got to be some accountability and some responsibility, and that’s something that I intend to impose as president of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why would the Governor of Nevada care about $700,000 being spent in Arizona?

Perhaps this is how the stimulus works....fedgov. employees take vacations and spend money....LOL
Becausse it wasn't bbeing spent in Las Vegas! Defies me why anyone would want to hold a conference in Phoenix in the summer

Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
I just find it cute that SSA employees are "stressed out".

Please.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The mgrs had to all get "up to speed" and "on the same page," so the conf wasnt a waste. Not any more than any conference like this is, public or private.

"waste is waste and each penny wasted adds up" -- nice, you agree with Obama. Btw Obama's quote, just to have it here:
You cannot — you cannot — you cannot expect taxpayers to bail out banks that have made bad decisions when they are then using that money to give themselves huge bonuses.

So — so one of the things that we’ve said is, look, we understand that the banking system is fragile right now. And even though those folks made bad decisions, it could bring down the entire economy and affects towns like Elkhart, so we’re going to do something to strengthen the banking system.
But, you know, you are not going to be able to give out these big bonuses until you pay taxpayers back. You can’t get corporate jets. You can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayers’ dime. There’s got to be some accountability and some responsibility, and that’s something that I intend to impose as president of the United States.
Yes and a memo wouldnt have worked to explain to them how to reduce stress. They actually needed the spa to help them reduce the stress telling them to attend a spa wasnt enough.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM

551 posts, read 856,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What part of "after hours" did you miss?
Well gosh, had they had "those long meetings" via teleconference, they wouldn't be able to enjoy the after hours in a posh resort....awwww

Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yes and a memo wouldnt have worked to explain to them how to reduce stress. They actually needed the spa to help them reduce the stress telling them to attend a spa wasnt enough.
If the annual budget couldnt accommodate this trip, Im sure they wouldnt have taken it.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 AM

139 posts, read 260,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
Guess they couldn't find some empty Army barracks somewhere and had the meeting in the gym.
I work in the events industry (along with thousands of other people) so I'm getting a big kick out of ignorant replies like these.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
You know, I got off the phone with my grandma last weekend. She's 94, healthy but you know, has the regular aches and pains, has worked hard her whole life, is widowed, lives on a fixed income, and she told me that the SS office sent her a letter saying they were cutting her monthly entitlements by $97 dollars. Might not seem like a big deal but that's alot to an elderly person living on a fixed income. That could go towards groceries, especially in a high cost of living area like Chicago. Anyway, at first they told her she'd have to pay back all the money they "overpaid" her---then they backed off. So when I hear stuff like this 700K junkett, it just jacks my jaw.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM

551 posts, read 856,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg242 View Post
I work in the events industry (along with thousands of other people) so I'm getting a big kick out of ignorant replies like these.
Bet your getting a kick out of this whole thread....I am.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Lol, right on cue, Repugs are jumping in to shake their chain-collars and growl, hoping to keep their jobs -- Congress demands answers after $700,000 Arizona conference - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Oh, I see it was a three day trip -- $1000/each for everything, over three days? $330/day each, including air etc? Not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies