Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think its a good thing we are not building missile silos over there... I prefer not to nation-build in other nations and waste taxpayer money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
The missel shield will do nothing against terrorists who covertly enter the US to do their deeds.
Obama was all about peace. This is part of it.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM

946 posts, read 2,605,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The missel shield will do nothing against terrorists who covertly enter the US to do their deeds.
Obama was all about peace. This is part of it.

Well, I agree with the first part of your post--the shield (sieve would be more accurate) is a mythology not far removed from Jason and the Golden Fleece (the latter noun being more appropriately applied as a verb when it comes to missile defense).

However, I must disagree that Obama is all about peace. He has shown that he is more than willing to continue our bloody versions of colonial wars, 21st century style.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Well, I agree with the first part of your post--the shield (sieve would be more accurate) is a mythology not far removed from Jason and the Golden Fleece (the latter noun being more appropriately applied as a verb when it comes to missile defense).

However, I must disagree that Obama is all about peace. He has shown that he is more than willing to continue our bloody versions of colonial wars, 21st century style.
I did use the word "was". That was his campaign.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,123 times
Ok, as a conservative, I'm not the biggest Obama supporter in the world. Having said that I think this is one of his best decisions since assuming POTUS.
I don't think most of the hawks realize how tense things were nearly a year ago. The Russians were accusing us of arming Georgia,they announced plans to target, or even attack future radar installations in Poland. Not to mention they were getting nervous about NATO ships in the Black Sea.
I have argued many times that a NATO expansion to the borders of Russia was simply bad policy. Given the history of invasions upon Russia, I think it's natural for them to be a bit paranoid about US/NATO expansion. I bring up the expansion idea, because we announced plans to install an ABM system in eastern Europe concurrent to pushing for Georgia and Ukraine's admission to NATO. And, if you look at the whole issue from the Russians' point of view, the ABM system/expansion looks more like an encroachment upon their border.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
It's so transparent when hired shills frequent internet forums.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM

946 posts, read 2,605,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For the third time or thereabouts: Poland's government had to be paid to accept the system on their territory.
Thank you. And by all accounts, the actual citizens (not the politicians who received some sort of advantage by accepting this system) are adamantly against this. In fact, almost all members of the coalition of the willing received payment in some form. To hitch our cart to an oligarchy like Georgia, in exchange for troops to further our wars in the middle east, is the height of folly. We had the world's strongest military along with the chance to affect positive change in the world. Instead, we have engaged in actions and operations that have undermined our democratic heritage and made our leaders look like fools and our military like stooges. We are fighting TWO undeclared wars against cave dwellers, and having our hats handed to us. Longer than WWII, remember that, and we are still mounting combat patrols.

And I speak as a former U.S. Army paratrooper.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Ok, as a conservative, I'm not the biggest Obama supporter in the world. Having said that I think this is one of his best decisions since assuming POTUS.
I don't think most of the hawks realize how tense things were nearly a year ago. The Russians were accusing us of arming Georgia,they announced plans to target, or even attack future radar installations in Poland. Not to mention they were getting nervous about NATO ships in the Black Sea.
I have argued many times that a NATO expansion to the borders of Russia was simply bad policy. Given the history of invasions upon Russia, I think it's natural for them to be a bit paranoid about US/NATO expansion. I bring up the expansion idea, because we announced plans to install an ABM system in eastern Europe concurrent to pushing for Georgia and Ukraine's admission to NATO. And, if you look at the whole issue from the Russians' point of view, the ABM system/expansion looks more like an encroachment upon their border.

What do you think of the timing of Obama's announcement? It couldn't wait one day?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
When does this paranoia virus stop spreading ? Someone is always trying to scare people, and sell them some silly contraption. Diplomacy is cheaper.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
Obama is in the process of destroying long time relationships with sound allies, preferring to remake our policies so they'll be "acceptable" to the likes of Russia, Iran and Venezuela. These actions and his blind admiration of the U.N. are truly worrisome.
Long time relationships? What 1-2 decades?
You really might want to look at history.
We are not affecting our relationships with Poland or Czech; and if at all, it's on the political level, not with the citizenry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies