Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.00%
Little concern 13 9.29%
Moderately concerned 25 17.86%
Very Concerned 53 37.86%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
They are not facts. Your comment was deliberately skewed because you did not make an exception for the existence of gay and lesbian couples, which completely rules out the possibility of them marrying someone of the opposite sex.

There are all kinds of couples that cannot get married. One kind is normal and healthy, the rest not. The issue was equal rights for marriage which we ALL have.Nothing skewed there. It's really elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I thought you didn't care about gay rights.........

Lawsuit filed by same-sex couple involves TGH - Tampa Bay Business Journal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XeY7D45BU4

I truly hope you watch the video but something tells me you won't. You wouldn't dare want anything to prove you wrong.

For Gays, It Happens All the Time
I tried to rep you again, but couldn't. thanks for sharing a very poignant example of why we need same sex civil marriage in this country.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 AM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
There are all kinds of couples that cannot get married. One kind is normal and healthy, the rest not. The issue was equal rights for marriage which we ALL have.Nothing skewed there. It's really elementary.
Their sexual orientation (gay), which is not changeable, means that they cannot have intimate relationships with the opposite sex. Therefore, denying them marriage rights is wrong.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
In a few years we will be looking back at this argument and wondering what was going on in peoples minds that they could even think that gay people dont have the same rights as everyone else.Society moves slowly toward removing hate based injustices.America is going thru an acceptance cycle that will ultimately allow both hetrosexual and homosexual to be accepted equally.We should all be able to pursue are happiness.Being a bachelor i do feel guilty by having cheated some lovely woman out of a divorce, but that subject (Divorce) seems to get less attention than who is marrying who.,

Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
I suggest EVERYONE watch that youtube movie that was put up. EXCELLENT!

makes me an even stronger advocate for gay marriage

Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
EVERYONE has the SAME right to marry the opposit sex. We ALL have the same rights. There is NO discrimination. Not all people marry for love.
That was the very same argument used by the state of Virginia in Loving vs Virginia. Except the words were that everyone had the right to marry someone as long as they were not of the same race and that since a white man could no more marry a black woman than a black man could marry a white woman, that it meant that they all had the same rights. The problem was that it was meant to keep races apart and prevent interracial marriage. The problem with the aparthied against gays with gay marriage is pretty much the same. We are told that we have the same rights to marriage as long as we marry someone of the opposite sex. It is also interesting that you say that marriage is not a right and just now you say it is. I guess marriage is a right as long as it is your marriage. Sexual orientation is poor grounds for keeping two people from getting married. I say a law should be enacted that prevents a divorced person from getting married a second time, they should have to resort to domestic partnerships or civil unions instead, since marriage is supposed to be so "Sacred". But I have yet to see laws preventing divorce or second, third, fourth and so on marriages between straight couples. Why is it that heterosexuals get to keep trying to make marriage work over and over, yet us gays and lesbians are forbidden to even try. I have been with the same man for 31 years and that is a lot longer than most of my heterosexual friends have made it.

Last edited by TheDragonslayer; 01-05-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
That was the very same argument used by the state of Virginia in Loving vs Virginia. Except the words were that everyone had the right to marry someone as long as they were not of the same race and that since a white man could no more marry a black woman than a black man could marry a white woman, that it meant that they all had the same rights. The problem was that it was meant to keep races apart and prevent interracial marriage. The problem with the aparthied against gays with gay marriage is pretty much the same. We are told that we have the same rights to marriage as long as we marry someone of the opposite sex. It is also interesting that you say that marriage is not a right and just now you say it is. I guess marriage is a right as long as it is your marriage. Sexual orientation is poor grounds for keeping two people from getting married. I say a law should be enacted that prevents a divorced person from getting married a second time, they should have to resort to domestic partnerships or civil unions instead, since marriage is supposed to be so "Sacred". But I have yet to see laws preventing divorce or second, third, fourth and so on marriages between straight couples. Why is it that heterosexuals get to keep trying to make marriage work over and over, yet us gays and lesbians are forbidden to every try. I have been with the same man for 31 years and that is a lot longer than most of my heterosexual friends have made it.
Congrats. May your relationship prosper!

Your post should really be a wide eye opener.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Seems like the only people here who seem to bring up GLBT issues are the gay members, themselves (which is understandable). So, I was just curious about the level of genuine interest and concern for the inequalities that GLBT people face and the plight of GLBTs with regard to civil rights issues and the like.
The only equality I'm concerned with is equality of all before the law. That is where equality begins and where it ends. The GLBT confuses wants with rights. They have the same rights as everyone else.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Gays don't have rights - only citizens have rights.

If gays can pass a citizenship test, then they can enjoy all of the rights any other citizen enjoys.
No they don't, and I'm sure you know that damn good and well. Not only can they not legally marry, but they can't serve openly in any branch of our military. We're engaged in a war in Afghanistan and our President has just committed 30,000 more troops. It is a loss to this entire nation that many gay people don't bother to step up to serve this country because they fear the consequences if they're outed. We do our entire nation wrong when we discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The only equality I'm concerned with is equality of all before the law. That is where equality begins and where it ends. The GLBT confuses wants with rights. They have the same rights as everyone else.

Very true. It is also sickening that they compare skin color to behavior. Race and sexual behavior are completely different. Most blacks hate this comparision and it shows in their votes against gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies