Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
I'm liberal and I'm from Virginia...

But to answer your question, northerners tend to have a skewed perception of what the South is like. Maybe you should reword your question to "why do northerners hate the south?"
I agree with the above. I'm a Texan who has also lived in other parts of the country and I can testify that the major cities here in Texas are as progressive as anywhere. In fact, Austin is one of the most progressive cities in the nation.

The problem I think with most northerners is that their only exposure to the south is through the skewed lense of Hollywood with their stereotypical cliche' plots and ridiculously exaggerated southern accents. Ha! They make me laugh every time. In fact, I think that on the few occasions that I've heard an authentic Texas accent on the silver screen the actor was actually from Texas like Tommy Lee Jones or Sam Elliot.

Also, northerners tend to lump the whole south into one big catagory. For instance I spent some time in Georgia: huge difference between a Georgia boy and a Texan. In my esperience the racial tension in Georgia is still pretty high. I'm a fairly live and let live kind of guy, but I butted heads with a lot of the blacks in Georgia. In Texas I get along just fine with people of all ethnic persuasions.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 AM

96 posts, read 270,328 times
the southwest and west was cowboy and cattle country.
the south was slave and cotton country.
considered an economic necessity, kind of like the illegals today, until the cotton gin arrived.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times
I was working at a company about 8 years ago that had an office in Los Angeles, and another in Atlanta. One of the 'bigshots' came out here to California from Atlanta for a meeting. At the start of the meeting he boasted about himself, told us he was from Mississippi (you can already see where this is going), then moved to Atlanta where he landed a job with the company.

One of the first things he did close to the beginning of the meeting is talk about how poor the drivers in "Kalerforna" were, and how "unneydyucated" they appear to be. Think that is bad? He outright stated "one of tha probleyms wit Kalerforna is thar is so many eegnarnt people."

In another case, I was in a restaurant where some loud and obnoxious idiot, from Texas this time, was going on about how stupid everything in Kalerforna was. One of the people with him actually started getting annoyed with him and challenged him to back up his accusations because he didn't understand him.

The Texan's response was, "well, 'cause you musta' never ain't been from Texas!"

This kind of thing reinforces the "dumb Southerner" stereotype.

Then there is the matter of the type of Southerner who is concerned about how people in other parts of the country live their lives, and it usually tied to religion.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Why does the OP generalize so much?
Think there aren't any liberals in the south?
Duh.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why does the OP generalize so much?
Think there aren't any liberals in the south?
Duh.
the op would have been closer to the truth had he/she said northeast and northwest coastal areas.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I was working at a company about 8 years ago that had an office in Los Angeles, and another in Atlanta. One of the 'bigshots' came out here to California from Atlanta for a meeting. At the start of the meeting he boasted about himself, told us he was from Mississippi (you can already see where this is going), then moved to Atlanta where he landed a job with the company.

One of the first things he did close to the beginning of the meeting is talk about how poor the drivers in "Kalerforna" were, and how "unneydyucated" they appear to be. Think that is bad? He outright stated "one of tha probleyms wit Kalerforna is thar is so many eegnarnt people."

In another case, I was in a restaurant where some loud and obnoxious idiot, from Texas this time, was going on about how stupid everything in Kalerforna was. One of the people with him actually started getting annoyed with him and challenged him to back up his accusations because he didn't understand him.

The Texan's response was, "well, 'cause you musta' never ain't been from Texas!"

This kind of thing reinforces the "dumb Southerner" stereotype.

Then there is the matter of the type of Southerner who is concerned about how people in other parts of the country live their lives, and it usually tied to religion.
Most Southerners aren't like that. Anyone can tell stories about dumb Southerners, or dumb Californians, or dumb Northerners. If someone judges an entire region based on their interactions with one or two "dumb" people, they're really the ones who are being ignorant.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most Southerners aren't like that. Anyone can tell stories about dumb Southerners, or dumb Californians, or dumb Northerners. If someone judges an entire region based on their interactions with one or two "dumb" people, they're really the ones who are being ignorant.
Thanks for reading my mind. I'm a Texan who lived in D.C. for a couple of years and believe me they had no shortage of morons either. The simple fact is that truly intelligent people are always few and far between regardless of geographic background.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Thanks for reading my mind. I'm a Texan who lived in D.C. for a couple of years and believe me they had no shortage of morons either. The simple fact is that truly intelligent people are always few and far between regardless of geographic background.
I see you had the chance to visit Congress.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I see you had the chance to visit Congress.
ROFLMAO

Now, THIS was hilarious! Good job, Sailor!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
GMOH? Can I ask one simple question that, really, has been asked over the past two years?

WHY are you still here???

I don't understand. You hate the South and Texas in particular...and make no secret of it. You go by the moniker of "getmeoutahere" and how you are in purgatory. WHAT -- fer gawds sake is keeping you here???

As Lonestar2007 asked a while back, are you chained to a tree?

I swear to the Lord above, I can dig up the money to "get you outta here". One way ticket on Southwest Airlines or Delta.

Hey, got an idee! If YOU will take me up on the offer, I WILL come thru on my end of it.

In fact? Just to prove how serious I am? Here she goes:

Hey? Any Texans/Southerners wanna contribute to the fund of getting "getmeouttahere" outta the South? I will start with $100.
You can count me in....I've done it before...Offered to buy a guys gas to back up north if he it hated here so much..As I was handing him the money he shut up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies