Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I didn't mean it to be extreme. I simply meant that the idiotic, insane-sounding, ultra-conservative, hyper-religious people are the ones that get on the news. They are the ones that people see with giant letters proclaiming what Southern state they are from underneath.

The truth is, they make up a tiny fraction of people in the South, just as blue-blood, die-hard screaming liberals actually make up a small part of people in the North. They typically get the airtime, though.

So it skews perceptions on both sides.
GMOH? Can I ask one simple question that, really, has been asked over the past two years?

WHY are you still here???

I don't understand. You hate the South and Texas in particular...and make no secret of it. You go by the moniker of "getmeoutahere" and how you are in purgatory. WHAT -- fer gawds sake is keeping you here???

As Lonestar2007 asked a while back, are you chained to a tree?

I swear to the Lord above, I can dig up the money to "get you outta here". One way ticket on Southwest Airlines or Delta.

Hey, got an idee! If YOU will take me up on the offer, I WILL come thru on my end of it.

In fact? Just to prove how serious I am? Here she goes:

Hey? Any Texans/Southerners wanna contribute to the fund of getting "getmeouttahere" outta the South? I will start with $100.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hey? Any Texans/Southerners wanna contribute to the fund of getting "getmeouttahere" outta the South? I will start with $100.
I'll offer a boot - with a steel toe. Just let me know what size you need.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'll offer a boot - with a steel toe. Just let me know what size you need.
No no no. Please don't send him anywhere near Chicago. We have enough problems here already, we don't need to add more.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
GMOH? Can I ask one simple question that, really, has been asked over the past two years?

WHY are you still here???

I don't understand. You hate the South and Texas in particular...and make no secret of it. You go by the moniker of "getmeoutahere" and how you are in purgatory. WHAT -- fer gawds sake is keeping you here???

As Lonestar2007 asked a while back, are you chained to a tree?

I swear to the Lord above, I can dig up the money to "get you outta here". One way ticket on Southwest Airlines or Delta.

Hey, got an idee! If YOU will take me up on the offer, I WILL come thru on my end of it.

In fact? Just to prove how serious I am? Here she goes:

I am leaving.

But I didn't think anything in that post reflected poorly on the South at all.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
My question is why do Southerners never acknowledge the ills associated with the South like racism and bigotry. Why do Southerners resort to distraction tactics like the changing the subject or never conceding points about voting records and historical events. It would be a welcome change if a Southerner could admit he or she loved the South but that they indeed have more problems with racial intolerance than the rest of the country. Whenever a Southerner tries to argue they are not any more racist than the rest of the country, they are either in denial or truly that oblivious

Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It would be a welcome change if a Southerner could admit he or she loved the South but that they indeed have more problems with racial intolerance than the rest of the country.
What evidence is there that the South has more problems with racial intolerance in the year 2010 than the rest of the country?

Also, consider the fact that the Southern states have the largest numbers of blacks, so there's a lot more potential for racial conflicts than in states outside the South.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:35 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
If you preface every question of why people don't like something you are by repeatedly insulting your reader, of course they will insult you in the reply to your question. If I asked the question, "Why do you all you inbred southern hicks hate liberals?"...I would rationally think anyone who falls in the category would insult me right back (if I was liberal or not, the assumption is I am in the question).

Think about the way you phrase questions. Sometimes your answer is more obvious then the nose on your face.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Questions like this always bring out the worse in people. Those that hate the South & those that love the South; both are inaccurate. The hate is because of racism & ignorance. But only a small percentage of the South are like that [mainly rural & isolated from other cultures]. The love of the South by some is all that is bad in the South [ie. Civil war & Confederacy] and only makes Americans angry with the South & why the South gets so much grief. It doesn't help that Republicans are the party of the South [more like a curse that the large cities are ridding themselves of].

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Seems like every time you bring up Texas or Alabama or some other southern state liberals jump all you with illogical and mocking comments.
The truth is, every single person in this world is unique. And, at the same time, every single person in this world is the same.

I don't know that it's a liberal or conservative issue, but some people categorize people based on their differences. They judge people based on their race, or where they're from, or their shape, or their clothing. In doing so, they inevitably make broad generalizations.

So... stereotypes arise: Jewish folks are good at accounting, black guys are good at basketball, white people are rich, Asians are good at math, Southerners are racist, etc.

The fact is that while your race, hometown, and ancestry are a part of you, they don't define you. Anyone who believes that they do, is wrong.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I think part of the problem is Hollywood. Through TV and Movies, they perpetuate the stereotypical ignorant, racist, stupid redneck. To them, people in the south and christians/catholics are all fair game for blanket bigotry insults. After all, we're just "flyover country" to most of them. We're good for a brief location shoot here or there and the hiring of some extras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.