Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM

241 posts, read 267,471 times

Advertisements

Didn't read it all, but as a liberal with a libertarian bent, I'd love to visit the south...but never live there. I live in OC, california and it's already hard here when people find out I'm not conservative or Christian. I don't think I'd have a good time living in the south. I've only been to Dallas on business but everyone seemed very nice. I'd love to take a road trip and visit a bunch of southern states, but then return home

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
I should also mention that the moment Florida legalizes pot I'd be willing to put the rest aside and move in a flash.

Amazing weather, great beaches, cheap cost of living, and the best fishing in the world year round?

Yes please. 10-15 years in prison for a pot plant? Nah.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
LOL--You're far more generous than I am, pardner; I'll contibute a road map for him. It may not be worth $100 but it'll sure show 'im all the roads leadin' outta town.
LMAO. Wont you at least throw in a flashlight along with the roadmap?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM

228 posts, read 483,290 times
Quote:
An unwillingness to simply learn and progress in general. See: love of tobacco and alcohol while having the harshest marijuana laws in all of North America
Absolutely right on! Couldn't have said it better myself.

You would think that with the amount of Christian fanatics down there that weed would be legal. I saw a t-shirt that sums up what I am trying to say, it read:

God made weed
Man made beer
In God we trust

But most of the people are too close-minded and backwards, or just plain stupid, to make any significant changes. They just want it the way it is and don't question a damn thing because to do so would be "Un-Amerrrcun"

Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post

But, why do many PEOPLE (regardless of political affiliations) think so negatively of the "southern culture" states? Here are a few reasons why:

Most of (not all) of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc):

-Have the lowest minimum wages in the country
-Have the highest rates of smokers in the U.S.
-Have some of the most un-healthy people (ie, highest amount of overweight people etc)
-Have the shortest life spans compared to the other states in the country.
-Have the highest amount of fundamentalist extreme Christians (the "bible belt"). Who are for the most part ignorant and hateful of any other cultures or religions.

Really? Because the south isn't as expensive to live in as the north, and the minimum wage is lower, so people think "negatively" of the south? What the heck does anyone care who smokes or who is fat? Drives up your insurance rates? Well, guess what! So do all those skinny illegals living in liberal-la-la land cities. People don't like southern states b/c those who live in them die at a younger age than the botoxed silicone monsters in ca or the commune living compost loving pot smoking (inhale whatever you want...smoking is smoking) in VT? Really? That's a reason?

The religious issue is pathetic. Talk about religious intolerance.

Quote:
All of these factors combine to give a generally lower quality of life.
According to who? Ever driven through the slums of whatever state you live in? They live good, are more intellectual, b/c they don't live in the south? No fatty boobalatties? No smokers? No one living off the gubment dime? Self supporting projects?

Quote:
On top of this, many people still carry negative connotations of the south due to Civil-War era issues. Then there are the usual stereotypes of people from the south being dumb, etc.
Does Germany still carry negative connotations b/c of Hitler? Japan for Pearl Harbor? England and France for trying to colonize the world?

Not buying what you can't sell.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Absolutely right on! Couldn't have said it better myself.

You would think that with the amount of Christian fanatics down there that weed would be legal. I saw a t-shirt that sums up what I am trying to say, it read:

God made weed
Man made beer
In God we trust

But most of the people are too close-minded and backwards, or just plain stupid, to make any significant changes. They just want it the way it is and don't question a damn thing because to do so would be "Un-Amerrrcun"
What significant changes are you trying to instill or think someone else should instill?

Fix your own backyard first, I highly doubt you live in the state called "utopia"... then worry about somewhere else that you can't stand by default due to your party affiliation.

You aren't fooling anyone. You don't like the south b/c they don't like what you do.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Didn't read it all, but as a liberal with a libertarian bent, I'd love to visit the south...but never live there. I live in OC, california and it's already hard here when people find out I'm not conservative or Christian. I don't think I'd have a good time living in the south. I've only been to Dallas on business but everyone seemed very nice. I'd love to take a road trip and visit a bunch of southern states, but then return home
Imagine the South as 100% worse than Orange county. Hopefully you will survive your visit south!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Imagine the South as 100% worse than Orange county. Hopefully you will survive your visit south!
You've never been to the states that are stereotypically southern. Oh well, I'm thinking Southwest Mississippi and Northeast Louisiana will be a bit better than the desolate Arizona desert anyway.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You've obviously never been to the southern states.

Why would you think someone from the OC wouldn't "survive" in the south?

Is it because there aren't as many fake boobs walking around at full attention? Less lipo suctioned thighs? More "real" noses? Un-botoxed faces and no fish lips? Oh the horror! Restaurants NOT in STRIP MALLS? More people living within their means b/c they don't need to impress their neighbors with their million dollar over-mortgaged houses (that are in the first stage of the foreclosure process) furnished by Home Goods? People driving around in 5 year old + trucks, who own them, as opposed to driving around in a brand new leased Benz they can't afford and only have it for show? No sense of "gotta keep up with the Jones family" only to see whose house gets auctioned off first while paying off the "important" stuff...like face lifts, hair extensions, etc?

Living in a world where grown-ups are still all about high school is really pathetic.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You've never been to the states that are stereotypically southern. Oh well, I'm thinking Southwest Mississippi and Northeast Louisiana will be a bit better than the desolate Arizona desert anyway.
Did you say something? Never-mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.