Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Vegas was the least important bit in the statement.
Apparently not.

Quote:
TV portrays Vegas on a weekly basis, far worst then the statement, and I don't see a rush to whine and scream over being portrayed badly on TV by the mayor.
You're right. What you don't seem to realize is that those TV shows are make believe. You may have a hard time differentiating between real life and a fictional TV show about Las Vegas that's shot in Los Angeles, but most people don't.

Quote:
If you don't want to be viewed as a place where people gamble their life savings away, get rid of the gambling (and other vices) and become Utah.
I'm not ever viewed as a place - I'm a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It's not rocket science. Barry O could have given that advice without singling out one city with an already high percentage of enemployed workers. The (I wish I was really grown up enough to be) POTUS chose to single out one city. Why didn't he tell people to stop spending the childrens' college funds on theme parks in Orlando? Oh wait, I know. He did that once and was told that the Disney enterprise was one of his big supporters.
So? Sin City can handle it.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
So? Sin City can handle it.
Why don't you tell that to all the formerly employed heads of households' families who lost their homes in Las Vegas? Thanks for bolding the part that shows my contempt for the lack of maturity our POTUS displays.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Why don't you tell that to all the formerly employed heads of households' families who lost their homes in Las Vegas?
What? That I chose to save money for a college education instead of spending on gambling, shows, etc. in Las Vegas? People make this choice every day. I'll do what I want with my money.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your Bio indicates you live in Sin City (Nevada). Then you know the REAL financial crisis Nevada is in. And while the instinct is to tax Gaming more, Gaming controls Nevada (and not retirees) - so there will not be any more taxes on gaming or room nights (already taxed at some of the highest rates in the world).

The fact of the matter is, the State income tax may very well HAVE TO COME BACK if things like Law Enforcement, Education, Health care etc are to even simply SURVIVE. Survive.

So, if the return of the income tax is enough to make you move, then may I suggest that you get a head start on packing up?
I'm not saying that they shouldn't do what they need to do. I a states' rights guy... But no income tax is one of the main reasons I chose Las Vegas over Phoenix when I moved out of California. If the state wants to start it up, then Nevada will have lost a lot of appeal for me.

Like I said, we were already looking at moving - regardless of any NV income tax. We'd actually already decided on it, and have just recently started reconsidering the move. A state income tax being instituted would make that decision real easy...

Again, I have no problem with states doing what states need (or want) to do. MA wanted a form of UHC system, and they implemented it. Good for them. If NV wants to impose a sales tax, good for them, too, but I have the option of choosing which state I want to live in.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
What? That I chose to save money for a college education instead of spending on gambling, shows, etc. in Las Vegas? People make this choice every day. I'll do what I want with my money.
Your reply is non sequitur.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
...Thanks for bolding the part that shows my contempt for the lack of maturity our POTUS displays.
If you're immature statement makes you feel better, no problem.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
If you're immature statement makes you feel better, no problem.
You are one sharp debater.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
You are one sharp debater.
What's to debate?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Moving along, the POTUS went out of his way to do more damage to an already devastated tourist destination. I am sure many of those people who are now without homes voted him into office believing in his hope and change. Didn't work out so well for them. Maybe we should blame Bush for making Obama say stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies