Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
The best move Obama ever did for AZ.
You got that right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,173 times
First of all, this is one of the very few issues, illegal immigration, that I lean to the right. I'm not sympathetic for their plight as they did knowingly enter the country without going through the process we require. And, I support fining those who employ illegal aliens as if it weren't for them, they incentive would not be as high to risk entry.

Having said that.... here's the paragraph that I (and I think many folks) have a problem with (I did the bold for emphasis):

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

The statement "FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT" is really broad. That could be
used to stop darn near anyone. He/she was jaywalking or littering or loitering. Very broad but, I have a feeling not an especially unusual reason given in many laws.

And then, what would cause reasonable suspicion that the person was an alien? I actually could see some scenarios.... a packed truck of people.... or crossing the desert in a remote area known for illegal crossings.

But, what about someone of dark complexion that's a passenger in a car without ID, would that be sufficient? What if it was a caucasian in the passenger seat without ID? Would he/she be a suspect? Wouldn't hispanic people illegal or not be the ones that would be the ones under suspicion most often? I know they said that race and color could not be the sole reason for suspicion (actually that's mentioned in another paragraph targeting employers that hire illegals) but should race and color be a factor at all? If the person was caucasian and couldn't speak english... say only German, would that be enough to cause suspicion?

It's not like there is an all points bulletin out there describing one person of a certain ethnicity in which case I think it would be appropriate, this is targeting anyone hispanic.... I don't think there is any way of getting around that. I do fear that this law will effect those here legally and I'm thinking it would be only hispanics here legally.

I think there are a lot of problems with this law but then, I'm no lawyer. I wonder who on this board is?

My $.02 worth....

Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but is it not a police officer's job to enforce the law? Should he say- well it's not a felony so let's just move on here?
Look, it isn't 1940 anymore. There is a big difference between a misdemeanor and a felony, and the laws
in place specify as such.

Not to mention, the suspect treatment of prisoners and the way in which Arpaio conducts the business of Sheriff.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio - Special Reports - Phoenix

Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I tell ya, I had no idea that Arizona could or would be so aligned with my views and way of thinking. I like hard-charging, no holds barred, get out of my way or be trampled personalities. This Governor intends to take no prisoners, and I really, really like that.

Liberals should be embarrassed that the entire ranks of legislators in their column are a bunch of panty-waisted, limp-wristed pushovers.

Go AZ!
AeroGuyDC !!! ... Outstanding !

Yes Indeed ... The unbelievable liberal "Goof Troop" crew !

The outstanding lady Govenor of Arizona sure as heck doesn't appear to be very much impressed at all with these so called really super intelligent folks ... especially the "Great One" way, way off in D.C.

Now this Arizona Govenor is what the good people way up here on the East Coast call "one of the good ones" ..... may we soon have many, many more such as this in important elected positions all across this great nation ! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,687 times
Wow, the president sides with the invaders. Sickening, isn't it?
I'm sure he knows that this new law is popular among the citizens.
I haven't seen anything like this before.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Look, it isn't 1940 anymore. There is a big difference between a misdemeanor and a felony, and the laws

Not to mention, the suspect treatment of prisoners and the way in which Arpaio conducts the business of Sheriff.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio - Special Reports - Phoenix

Prison is not supposed to be a pleasant experience. What is the recidivism rate in his jurisdiction?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
[quote=L.Funk;14250052]AeroGuyDC !!! ... Outstanding !
Rep Later due to CDF.

Yes Indeed ... The unbelievable liberal "Goof Troop" crew !

The outstanding lady Govenor of Arizona sure as heck doesn't appear to be very much impressed at all with these so called really super intelligent folks ... especially the "Great One" way, way off in D.C.

Now this awesome Arizona Govenor is what the good people way up here on the East Coast call "one of the good ones" ..... may we soon have many, many more such as this occupying important elected positions all across this great nation ! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Prison is not supposed to be a pleasant experience. What is the recidivism rate in his jurisdiction?
Just hit the link I gave you and read it.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Just hit the link I gave you and read it.

I know about Arpaio. I've debated these issues on other forums several times.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,037,507 times
Quote:
Or no difference at all. This is where every state differs.

In Oregon, if you get caught with under an ounce of weed in your possession, without intent to distribute, it results in confiscation and a fine, no arrest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Arizona and Nevada, even a dime bag is a felony.

Every state can run the show however they please, and that is how the good sherriff likes his county, and state, ran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies