Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Ah, so you don't live in the southwestern part of the US. I was pretty sure you didn't.
Not presently. But I have lived in New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, and California - does that count
I know the Southwest VERY WELL. I have never lived in
Arizona, but have visited it many times, mostly the Tucson
area. I prefer New Mexico myself

Where do you live Roy? Does it really matter for the
topic at hand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Look, it isn't 1940 anymore. There is a big difference between a misdemeanor and a felony, and the laws
in place specify as such.

Not to mention, the suspect treatment of prisoners and the way in which Arpaio conducts the business of Sheriff.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio - Special Reports - Phoenix
You have to consider the source of your link....The Phoenix New Times and Arpaio have been at war with each other since day one. I don't know if any other media source criticizes Arpaio more than the New Times does. A year or two back, they printed a story about him that included his home address....wow....did that cause an uproar....I think the editor got arrested for doing that. He's in a position where he gets death threats on a daily basis. Maricopa county is by far the most populated county in Arizona and with him being sheriff for so long now (around 20 years) he's made a lot of enemies. It's mostly about him operating on a tight budget....he makes due with what he gets and prisoners end up getting treated like prisoners. He's a stickler about enforcing the law. I used to hate him when he first became sheriff...he was constantly getting himself in the media with some gimmick. That slowed down a lot and now I'm indifferent about him....some things he does I like, some I don't. I like that he uses an old jail as a no kill animal shelter. He's received criticism for that as well though because it's air conditioned and tent city isn't. He did have coolers (or maybe they were even air conditioners) in each tent but, they kept getting vandalized so, he removed them....they do have heaters for the winter nights though.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You may be right, but she's not as big a joke as Obama. He is not only a joke, he's a racist joke that tells us lies week after week after week.
It's ridiculous for the president to be doing that....it's all about party politics. Brewer's approval rating has been going up not down.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about the fools from LA who forgot that they need AZ for 25% of their electricity?

Did you see this?

news local-beat
Power Play Over Immigration Law

LA's boycott resolution sparks a threat over power the city receives from Arizona

By JONATHAN LLOYD and ROBERT KOVACIK

Updated 3:38 PM PDT, Wed, May 19, 2010

Print Share Buzz up! 380retweetTOP1K

76diggsdigg .postToFBArticlePage { background:transparent url(http://media.nbclocalmedia.com/desig...s/facebook.gif) no-repeat scroll 0 0; display:block; float:left; height:14px; padding-right:5px; width:70px; text-align:right; } .postToFBArticlePage span { padding-top:0px; margin-top:3px; display:block; } #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage span, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage span { margin-top: 0px; } #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:visited, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:visited { color:#C3C7C7; } FACEBOOK

An Arizona utility commissioner said he's willing to pull the plug on Los Angeles if the city goes through with a boycott of his state.
In a letter to the city of LA, a member of Arizona's power commission said he would ask Arizona utility companies to cut off the power supply to Los Angeles. LA gets about 25 percent of its power from Arizona.
They also buy water from us too....they pump water out of Lake Pleasant all summer and I'm pretty sure it goes to CA.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
How Patriotic of him - Yawn. Sorry to disappoint - we
weren't at War in Iraq in 1993 when he began his "Tent City" nor in 1996 when a retarded man died there who was arrested for trespassing. Having prisoners that are arrested for misdemeanors like shoplifters, ending up dead, is not something I'm impressed with. And neither should anyone else be.

New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston, for example, collectively housed more than 61,000 inmates per day. From 2002 through 2005, these same county jails had a combined 43 prison-conditions lawsuits filed against them in federal courts.

In the very same three-year time frame, despite housing a mere 9,200 prisoners per day, Sheriff Arpaio was the target of a staggering 2,150 lawsuits in U.S. District Court and hundreds more in Maricopa County courts.

His antics cost Arizona taxpayers money for all the lawsuits they have had to settle.

But I'll let you have your "hero". I think he is pathetic and
a sad excuse for a law enforcement officer. Simply criminal.
Tent city is not the only jail he runs. Prisoners usually go there after they've been sentenced....when they get arrested and are being held until trial, they're held downtown in the county jail. Tent city was his solution for not having another indoor facility or the budget to maintain it even if he did.

So are those 2,150 lawsuits (and hundreds more in Maricopa County courts) against Arpaio, prison-condition lawsuits like the comparison you're making it to?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
So, you want to convict an innocent man, a law man, and allow illegal immigrants to run free? Please reread my post, I never said that every prisoner was an illegal immigrant but I know that every prisoner has been convicted of breaking a law.

It's sick isn't it? Liberalism IS a mental disease.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Maybe you can spend some time in his jail for jay walking or some other minor misdemeanor. One who got a two month sentence ended up dead.

Hopefully, he won't be "innocent for long". We have standards, even in prisons and jails - at least in the country, I live in.

Hint: you don't end up in jail for jay walking. You don't end up in jail for minor misdemeanors if it's your first offense.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:26 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,193,417 times
I see nothing in your links where the man serving a two month sentence was in on misdemeanor charges. All I could find is that he was in on "non violent charges".

If the people of Maricopa county continue to elect him then I have to side with them the same way I side with Jan Brewer on illegal immigration. If he were that bad I think they would get someone else the way we are going to get a new POTUS in 2012.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Hint: you don't end up in jail for jay walking. You don't end up in jail for minor misdemeanors if it's your first offense.
Hint: I was being sarcastic. One person who died had been arrested for shop lifting. Feel Better

• Legally blind and serving a short sentence in Tent City for shoplifting, Brian Crenshaw, 40, was transferred to solitary confinement after a tussle with Arpaio's detention officers. Six days later, he was found comatose in his solitary cell with a broken neck, ruptured intestines, broken toes, and severe internal injuries. Arpaio maintains Crenshaw sustained the injuries when he fell off his four-foot bed. Crenshaw died on March 14, 2005.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well done Gov. Brewer. Obama should heed some old advice: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. The more he speaks on this issue, the more ignorant and out of touch with reality he appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies