Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Your attacks on college football to me seem that it is sleazy. When I am saying the NFL isn't any better.
I meant that the "sleaze" affects the competition. It's a bunch of courting and romance;whereas, the NFL is kept in line by money and the salary cap. That's a much more concrete and balanced system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
The popularity point was to the OP
The point was about which we (personally) liked, so I stated my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,243 times
This isn't even a contest. The NFL is waaaaayyyy better than college. The BCS is the dumbest idea man has ever come up with. The same teams are good year in year out, the parody is nowhere near the level it is in the NFL, If the NFL were college the Cardinals would not have been in the championship game, and they never no who really should be the national champs. To me the NCAA is just one big popularity contest with a room of people and a computer, that nobody truly understands, that determines who has a shot at the championship instead of the players on the field.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 AM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
Ill take college football anyday. I wasn't into it at first until I went to high school with vince young. Going to school with somebody like vince makes you root for him because were are all going to the same school and from the same poor, crime ridden place, so you wanna see him make it. Then after that I started loving college football more because everyone is into it more and every games counts. The pride these kids have when they play unlike the pros is just doing it for a check and could careless if they win or not. These schools represents the state like Texas most of the kids that play for the school are the same kids we know and hear about in the paper. With that said since these kids are from texas they know how serious we take football in texa. So they go out there and play their hearts out and not embarrass the state, with college its an emotional investment

Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

I'm not even sure if you're arguing with me or some imaginary person now.
I was thinking the same thing?

He was saying that "money, SUV's, girls, ect" are used to RECRUIT players to a certain school. This type of activity has ALWAYS gone on and ALWAYS will.

NFL players driving SUV's and getting arrested HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HE WAS SAYING.

IT DOESN"T EVEN MAKE SENSE IN THE DISCUSSION????????

Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I was thinking the same thing?

He was saying that "money, SUV's, girls, ect" are used to RECRUIT players to a certain school. This type of activity has ALWAYS gone on and ALWAYS will.

NFL players driving SUV's and getting arrested HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HE WAS SAYING.

IT DOESN"T EVEN MAKE SENSE IN THE DISCUSSION????????
The point I was trying to make was the NFL isn't come perfect organization with good family guys in it either. HE is accusing college football of being sleazy in it's recruiting tactics. Alright fine there are some sleazy people in it but the NFL has some scum bags in it as well. Thus the DUIS and arrests.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
The atmosphere at college is waaay better. NFL fans are really classless at a number of venues I've visited. But really with all the delays, I'd rather watch football at home on my TV.

As for the game you can argue that college is more exciting because one team can be really high powered because of recruiting. The NFL is much more competitive...unless you have a crappy owner/GM...see Detroit.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Ill take college football anyday. I wasn't into it at first until I went to high school with vince young. Going to school with somebody like vince makes you root for him because were are all going to the same school and from the same poor, crime ridden place, so you wanna see him make it. Then after that I started loving college football more because everyone is into it more and every games counts. The pride these kids have when they play unlike the pros is just doing it for a check and could careless if they win or not. These schools represents the state like Texas most of the kids that play for the school are the same kids we know and hear about in the paper. With that said since these kids are from texas they know how serious we take football in texa. So they go out there and play their hearts out and not embarrass the state, with college its an emotional investment
Every game only counts to a few teams while 80% of the 120 division one or fbs teams have no chance at a national championship anyway so what do their games count for? Oh I guess to be lucky enough to make it to one of the 33 consilation games .

Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 AM

342 posts, read 685,412 times
Yeah that's true @ dorian, but there is always a chance for a utah to climb up the rankings. Not only for the season but for recruits too, every game does count if it didn't teams like oregon st wouldn't play their hearts out to beat a usc team. Yeah the bowl system sucks, they didn't get the winner right this year and I refuse to call florida a champion, but that's another forum. Overall college football has more energy, when I think of the nnfl, I think of old, fat, overwieght guys sitting on the couch drinking beer. Then college is a more young cool laid back crowd full of students and pretty young ladies, it doesn't get better than that.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Yeah that's true @ dorian, but there is always a chance for a utah to climb up the rankings.
There obviously wasn't. They won every game. Not much else left.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
There obviously wasn't. They won every game. Not much else left.

There is a flaw in our system much like the NFL where once again the 11-5 Patriots sat home while the 8-8 Chargers went to the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football