Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
It's a kicking ball, different set of balls then what the offense uses. I am not sure, but I beleve teams supply their own kicking balls as well. If that is indeed the case, his short kick offs have nothing to do with the Pats
The home team supplies the kicking balls and they are brand new, and sealed, when the NFL inspects them before the game. I don't know who has control of them after the inspection but I would bet anything that it is not someone from the visiting team. It has to be someone from the stadium(home team) or the NFL.

If there is a way to deflate one set of balls after the inspection, then who is to say it couldn't be done with the kicking balls? If you have a kicker that does not get touchbacks on a regular basis and you are playing against a team that has a kicker that does get touchbacks more often than not, there might be some advantage to "equal" the playing field.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Yeah, I guess the details make the Pats fans feel bad, don't they. The Mod here must be a Pats fan.
I'll delete this post and this quote long enough to have this message viewed.

The First Bronco game I attended was in 1962. The last one was last December. I started the Bronco team thread in 2008. Observation answered.

As I said earlier, I have and always will encourage threads for two way solid debate. The other thread went for 197 responses, a good portion humorous, a good portion snarky, a few by repeat trolls. Those people who trolled on that thread and a couple others in the fb forum were shown the door. Other than that I try to let people have their say so long as the TOS is observed.

City Data wants one thread per subject. I got multiple reported posts this morning stating just that.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Yeah, I guess the details make the Pats fans feel bad, don't they. The Mod here must be a Pats fan.

No one can say that breaking the rules had no effect on the outcome. There is no way to know that.
In the case of the Patriots as a fan I am hurt, and am in no way standing behind them lessening what was done. When I speak of outcome effect, I am only repeating what players and coaches in the sport have said in both cases of the Patriots being the idiots I've called them many times. With someone like Lance Armstrong or Ben Johnson for instance, other competitors knew without a doubt he had a competitive edge. Each sport is different.

We're talking about the integrity of the sport in which cheating or rule breaking was done, and morals that are portrayed to millions upon millions of fans who follow the sports.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 AM

Does anyone besides me feel sad that they have to learn more about the NFL rules because someone who does know the rules, flaunts them?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'll delete this post and this quote long enough to have this message been viewed.

The First Bronco game I attended was in 1962. The last one was last December. I started the Bronco team thread in 2008. Observation answered.

As I said earlier, I have and always will encourage threads for two way solid debate. The other thread went for 197 responses, a good portion humorous, a good portion snarky, a few by repeat trolls. Those people who trolled on that thread and a couple others in the fb forum were shown the door.

City data wants one thread per subject. I got multiple reported posts this morning stating just that.
Discussions and debates about sports can be as deep and angry as religion or politics, which at times I find humerus. I was part of the other thread, but it was breaking down to small details and anger and hate. Sports is entertainment to the fans. I know businesses profit on sports, and there is legalized gambling.

I will state this again - as a fan look at cheating from a larger perspective. Sports do integrate with society and everyday life, whether it's entertainment or not. I don't want to have another thread where fans are defending their precious teams.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
The NFL has a huge huge image problem right now with all the abuse of women and children and general criminality and thuggery and now cheating, and yet through it all roger goodell remains defiant and refuses to resign. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM

When you constantly have people jumping into the thread saying things like, "They all use the same balls, so what's the advantage?", it is impossible to leave out the details.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
The NFL has a huge huge image problem right now with all the abuse of women and children and general criminality and thuggery and now cheating, and yet through it all roger goodell remains defiant and refuses to resign. What's wrong with this picture?
This is really the issue at hand. The Ray Rice issue to the NFL is much worst than what the Patriots have done, because it deals with a real life issue, domestic abuse.

As a business, Roger Goodell is ultimately in charge of the image of the NFL. Businesses spend millions of dollars on advertising to this business of the NFL. Look at the fallout from Tiger Woods? Cheating does hurt people, but from a simple fans perspective, fans are observers and looking for entertainment.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'll be dm'ing the op to advise him that I'll reword the title to to this thread a little bit as I've made this thread a *sticky*. The other thread has been closed. 197 responses gave people plenty of time respond. One thread per subject.

As the OP states, level headed honest commentary is encouraged. Snarky one liners are not.
Couldn't you at least provide links to the closed threads for people to find out what they might want to know, before posting in this thread. Pretty soon the closed thread will disappear from the first page.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

As in my previous post, I still think the word cheat in this case is wrong. It's breaking the rules. In some cases I don't think breaking the rules is always cheating because the rule that was broken really had no effect on the outcome (let's just assume for argument as compared to a sprinter taking PED's who runs .1 second faster and helps them win.

Looks like you are getting into spin semantics here. "Breaking the rules" to gain an advantage over your opponent is cheating. (Regardless of the outcome).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football