Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Two teams from the NFC East will make the playoffs! Sorry Dallas, you don't figure into that recipe......
No chance more than one team makes it in from the NFC East and here's why. Not only do the 3 teams (ni Wsh) from the East all have 3 games against each other and beat each other up and accumulate the losses, Philly and NYG have far harder schedules than the other 8 teams still with above 500 records. Here are those 10 teams along with the winning pct of their remaining opponents.

.642 Giants: 7 of 10 games against >.500 teams, including 6 of their next 7
.633 Eagles: 8 of 11 games against >.500 teams, closing out vs. Atlanta (road), NYG (road), San Fran, Denver & Dallas (road)
.550 Dallas: 6 of 11 games against >.500 teams
.545 Vikings: 7 of 10 games against >.500 teams
.532 Chicago: 7 of 11 games against >.500 teams
.492 Atlanta: 5 of 11 games against >.500 teams, close out at home against Buffalo & Tampa
.468 Packers: 6 of 11 games against >.500 teams, close out with 3 of their last 4 on the road against Chicago, Pitts & Arizona.
.426 San Fran: 5 of 11 games against >.500 teams, close out against Detroit & St Louis (road).
.403 Arizona: 5 of 11 games against >.500 teams, including 2 games against St Louis, and home games against Tennessee and Detroit.
.383 New Orleans: 4 of 11 games against >.500 teams including 2 vs Carolina & Tampa and 1 against St Louis (combined record of 4 - 24)

Not likely you'll find enough wins for the 2nd place team in the East to finish ahead of any of the 4 remaining teams that don't finish 1st from the other divisions. Eagles will likely finish 3rd in their division after losing a bunch of games late in the season to teams they are trying to catch for a wild card spot.

Maybe next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Two teams from the NFC East will make the playoffs! Sorry Dallas, you don't figure into that recipe......
Actually, the North and South will have two teams each getting in. The East and West look like the weaker divisions of the NFC.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
With the brutal schedule your Giants have it isn't exactly a forgone conclusion that you will even be playing after week 17.
I never said it is "exactly a forgone conclusion that [the Giants will] be playing after week 17." I said that I believe they will be. Nobody knows what will happen till it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Dallas has a much easier schedule and the cupcake schedules that Atlanta, Arizona, Green Bay and San Francisco have remaining means no playoffs for you.
Iron sharpens Iron. Cupcake doesn't sharpen iron, and people choke on cupcakes. The Giants' schedule is excellent. Beating good teams, and probably losing to a couple very good teams, builds strength, experience, character, and skill.

How you figure that Dallas' remaining schedule "means no playoffs for [us]" is beyond me. You obviously have a strong bias against the Giants, and you come across as a Kool-Aid drinking Cowboys fan with the typical blind optimism that so many of them have; if you are, you're going to be in for yet another Giant letdown.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I never said it is "exactly a forgone conclusion that [the Giants will] be playing after week 17." I said that I believe they will be. Nobody knows what will happen till it happens.

Iron sharpens Iron. Cupcake doesn't sharpen iron, and people choke on cupcakes. The Giants' schedule is excellent. Beating good teams, and probably losing to a couple very good teams, builds strength, experience, character, and skill.

How you figure that Dallas' remaining schedule "means no playoffs for [us]" is beyond me. You obviously have a strong bias against the Giants, and you come across as a Kool-Aid drinking Cowboys fan with the typical blind optimism that so many of them have; if you are, you're going to be in for yet another Giant letdown.
No bias here, I would have left out the Pack if so. In fact, I've disliked the Cowboys and the whole "America's Team" BS for nearly as long as they've been around.

There is a great deal of accuracy in your take on "that which doesn't kill me, will make me better". My take is the schedule will in fact kill you. Considering 4 of the Giants 5 wins have come against teams with a combined record of 5 - 19, I'm making the asumption that the Giant King has no clothes. Hey, it's just a guess and it would be pretty boring to pick a team that was undefeated a week ago wouldn't it?

If you do get in, you certainly will have earned it and would be a dangerous team. If you end up with a 1 or 2 seed you'd be very dangerous.

Last edited by Ghengis; 10-21-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,159 times
Default The Giants passing game and Eli Manning?

NY Giants' passing game under scrutiny following Eli Manning's worst performance of season against Cardinals | New York Giants - - NJ.com

Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times

Hope it continues for Week 8.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
What's happening here is what has happened to Tom Brady...good teams have figured out that you can't allow the QB to get set and pass down field. You must flush guys like Brady and E. Manning out of the pocket and apply pressure, they aren't very good at improvising or throwing on the run, and are mediocre at best when it comes to scrambling. N.O. and Arizona played aggressive defense and Eli had not answer for that, and neither did Coughlin. I was puzzled why they kept attempting running plays when they clearly were getting shut down and needed to convert to first downs. It didn't help that Bradshaw fumbled on a key drive late in the game either, that fumble seemed to take the wind out of their sails. No excuses though, they got out played for two weeks in a row and need to regroup and learn from their mistakes.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Hope it continues for Week 8.
Well, you were right Complete coverage of NY Giants at Philadelphia Eagles | New York Giants - - NJ.com

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM

306 posts, read 319,790 times
I love the giants and the last three games have ticked me off. However, I understand why they are losing.

Losing games tend to happen when injuries pile up. Ross (starting CB), Boley (starting OLB), Phillips (starting S) and Canty (starting DT) have not played.

I want to see what they can do at full strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football