Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,677,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, i know jerry was high on manziel at the time, and it might be that the kid vetoed the choice, i dont know. rumors from sportswriters dont interest me, most of them are just that, rumors.
The way they tell it around Dallas, Jerry had Manziels name on the paper being sent up to the chain for their pick and Stephen intercepted it.. scratched out Manziel and wrote Zack Martin OL Notre Dame! Its probably just fluff but makes for a good story, right!

I suspect that if Zack Martin hadn't turned out to be an ALL PRO Player, this story would die on the vine... but because Zack is so good, and Manziel is/was so bad.. it keeps the 'Jerry is a BAD GM' mantra running a few more years! "Jerry wanted Manziel over Zack Martin and Stephen had to stop him.. haha"

WHo knows the truth.. Manziel was a great college player but all the scouts were in agreement that he would struggle transitioning to the NFL. He used his quickness and speed in college and that just wasn't gonna fly in the NFL.. still he could have been a good if not great NFL QB but he wasn't really interested in that.. what a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
well said mco

Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Lets be real, the biggest reason so many of these guys have the issues they do? Steroids. Some can handle a testosterone level of 2000 with a good sound mental stability to begin with, others who are on that edge, go over the edge with using juice. And yes, every single player in the league juices.

That's like saying every thing in life is 100 %, like 100% of all men out there are straight heterosexual, or there are absolutely no men of honor left in our society. Even if the numbers are very few, all 100% of players in the league is not using juice as you put it. You said that like it's a matter of fact and without a doubt, they all absolutely do that.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 AM

ipaper,
I suspect few if any kickers are juicing.. Most players get into trouble after an injury. They are trying to hurry back, because lets face it. MOST players can easily be replaced... The All Pros can rest and take their time getting healed after an injury but the backup left guard CANNOT.. so he takes a shortcut and hopes he doesn't get caught.. Sure, there are some that use it for an advantage on the field... but to say EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE JUICES is silly, unless of course alaskaboy is referring to orange juice or some other fruit juice.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,778,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
[/b]

That's like saying every thing in life is 100 %, like 100% of all men out there are straight heterosexual, or there are absolutely no men of honor left in our society. Even if the numbers are very few, all 100% of players in the league is not using juice as you put it. You said that like it's a matter of fact and without a doubt, they all absolutely do that.
I've been around sports all my life and a gym rat all my life. While the statement of 100% might have been a blanket statement, I'd suggest more likely 97%. Yeah, we can leave some kickers out.

The fact is, there have been books written about this by former NFL players. Facts are facts and if you want to make it to the highest levels of most any sport, you have to cheat. If you don't, you get left behind. Look at the US women'd gymnastic team in the last olympics for crying out loud. Tell me all those girls did not take Testosterone on some level? Steroids and juicing, or even just pure testosterone enhancement is much more scientific, "safe" and suitable for more longer term use today then it was a few decades ago. Not safe entirely, but there are more options, less sides and ways to restart yourself after cycles. Most NFL players have juiced. They would not be where they are if they did not. The books I've read on the subject state this over and over and over. Why aren't more caught? Because the NFL testing policies allows them to work around it. If every NFL player in the league were simply tested every thirty days like clockwork? There would be no league and you'd have NFL players like back in the 60's and 70's running around a few days later. Yeah, big, strong and fast, but not the superhumans you see in today's league.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,033,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I've been around sports all my life and a gym rat all my life. While the statement of 100% might have been a blanket statement, I'd suggest more likely 97%. Yeah, we can leave some kickers out.
Well that settles it, gang. One self proclaimed gym rat who's been around sports his whole life says 97% of the league is juicing so it must be so. It helps that I read this conclusion on the internet. That adds legitimacy to it.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 AM

alaskaboy,
I agree that a lot do.. but 97% is basically everyone and that is just a hard pill to swallow.. unless your in the locker room with them, passing out the pillls or the needle, there is just NO WAY of knowing for sure....

I spent a ton of time in the gym in my youth.. i miss it some.. i never juiced but more than once was asked if i did.. i was born with genetics that simply made my physique get bigger and stronger than many i worked out with.. couldn't the same be true for many NFL Players?

A few years ago, i started a summer work out regime with a good friend of mine. He was a retired Army Ranger and a Professional Trainer at Planet Fitness or one of those chain fitness clubs... after a month went by, i was suddenly bigger and stronger than him and he started cussing me.. in a friendly way.. it was genetics and muscle memory that he simply did not have and i did. Now his endurance, cardio if you will, was always off the chart.... i could never catch keep up with him on the track... but he could not keep up with me with a bar..

All this said was simply to point out that not all men are created equally.. some are giants with great genetics are some are not.. i argue that the giant genetic freaks are the ones you see on TV playing in the NFL.. Now if you want to argue that the ones with less genetic input are the ones using juice to keep up with the genetic freaks, ok.. but that still leaves more than 3% IMO..

Maybe i prefer to live in a fantasy world where not everyone is a juicer.. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.. but look at guys like Tony Romo.. he doesn't look like he even WORKS out much less is a juicer...

Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 AM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
ipaper,
I suspect few if any kickers are juicing.. Most players get into trouble after an injury. They are trying to hurry back, because lets face it. MOST players can easily be replaced... The All Pros can rest and take their time getting healed after an injury but the backup left guard CANNOT.. so he takes a shortcut and hopes he doesn't get caught.. Sure, there are some that use it for an advantage on the field... but to say EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE JUICES is silly, unless of course alaskaboy is referring to orange juice or some other fruit juice.

Yeah, maybe that's it.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,766,040 times
On a much lighter note: I think that it was good for the NFL that the Cowboys and Raiders were in serious contention this year. I always joke I'm an ABC fan: Anybody But Cowboys but I found myself actually rooting for them this year. I was hoping they'd go all the way. I was also saddened to see the Raiders fall out due to losing their QB.
Congratulations on a terrific season and an oh so bright future. The Raiders sure are sorry you didn't get the guy you wanted in the fourth round lol.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
On a much lighter note: I think that it was good for the NFL that the Cowboys and Raiders were in serious contention this year. I always joke I'm an ABC fan: Anybody But Cowboys but I found myself actually rooting for them this year. I was hoping they'd go all the way. I was also saddened to see the Raiders fall out due to losing their QB.
Congratulations on a terrific season and an oh so bright future. The Raiders sure are sorry you didn't get the guy you wanted in the fourth round lol.
much as i like conner cook, and as much as i think he would have done as well as prescott has this season running the cowboys offense, i think the cowboys got their franchise quarterback in prescott, and i think he will take the cowboys to a super bowl or three.

i too was disappointed that the raiders ended up not going very far in the playoffs, and i look forward to seeing my cowboys beat my brothers raiders in a super bowl in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football