Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times

Advertisements

I am NOT A Cowboy fan but have many friends who are. I noticed that the Eagles and the Redskins are taking leaps forward to at least try to address winning in the NFC East. The Giants are still a good team, they have a plan year in and year out, they stick to it, and the result is a competitive team. Then comes the Cowboys, a team full of holes, shortcomings and gaps. The team seems to lack an overall plan. Most people blame the owner, and based on recent draft history I would say that is accurate.
Remember back when the Cowboys were good, the team was built by Jimmy Johnson, not Jerry Jones.

What was not addressed in the draft? Lack of depth and personnel for the new defense scheme, depth on outside of offensive line, and lack of a franchise QB

In the NFL, the QB is still the most important position, and the Cowboys are still trying to eek by with a taxi squad player pretending to be a franchise QB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

320 posts, read 539,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I am NOT A Cowboy fan but have many friends who are. I noticed that the Eagles and the Redskins are taking leaps forward to at least try to address winning in the NFC East. The Giants are still a good team, they have a plan year in and year out, they stick to it, and the result is a competitive team. Then comes the Cowboys, a team full of holes, shortcomings and gaps. The team seems to lack an overall plan. Most people blame the owner, and based on recent draft history I would say that is accurate.
Remember back when the Cowboys were good, the team was built by Jimmy Johnson, not Jerry Jones.

What was not addressed in the draft? Lack of depth and personnel for the new defense scheme, depth on outside of offensive line, and lack of a franchise QB

In the NFL, the QB is still the most important position, and the Cowboys are still trying to eek by with a taxi squad player pretending to be a franchise QB.
What QB in this year's draft is better than Romo? The cowboys have plenty of holes but the QB isn't one of them. If the Cowboys had anything that remotely resembled a running game for the past 4 years Romo would be much more effective. It's hard for the offensive line to block people and for for the receivers to get open when you only run the ball 14 times per game...that's just common sense. Add that to the fact that not running the ball keeps your defense on the field too long and you're looking at another 8-8 season.

I'll be the first to admit that Romo has some flaws but he is not even close to being the problem for the Cowboys. In fact he's pretty much the main reason they're even able to be competitive on most afternoons. Btw, these are Romo's stats for the past 4 yrs (keep in mind he only played 6 gms in 2010): Comp% 65.5% TD 96 INT 45 YPG 278.9

These are not pedestrian stats, especially when you consider that the Cowboys barely run the ball with any effectiveness. There are really just a few teams with a better QB situation than the Cowboys. It's just that Romo gets the bulk of the blame because of where he plays.

That being said, I'm doubtful that the Cowboys will be appreciably better than last year because they lack depth at key positions. However, if they can stay away from the injury bug (which is very doubtful) and the O-line can block consistently (equally doubtful) the Cowboys should do fine. Other than that it'll probably be another mediocre season.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Romo is an easy target. The fact of the matter is, the Cowboys have not been good enough to win many games in the past decade and wouldn't matter who the heck the QB was... but hey, lets take pot shots at Romo because he is the face of the franchise.. him, Jerry and Jason...

Romo's biggest problem is consistency. Some times he plays like a top 5 QB, sometimes like top 15.. He seems to have his better (top 5) games early in the season and his worst games (top 15) later in the year. It could be just coincidence or could be he chokes under pressure.. I suspect its a little of both. Regardless, he is no where near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to NFL starting QBs.

He is an absolute genius of making something out of nothing and seems always pull a rabbit out of his hat once a game. In the end, if the Cowboys lose the game, which they have done a lot of lately, no remembers the rabbit, they only remember the 4 qtr INT he threw in a desperate comeback attempt.

I have seen all the past great Cowboy QBs and Romo is no Staubach or Aikman but he has qualities of both... what he seems to lack is the discipline it takes to win consistently. He seems more interested in improving his golf handicap than improving his QB skills but perhaps that is a bit overstated. He may have more drive than both Aikman and Staubach but it doesn't show, not on his face and not on his game.

In the end, Romo's biggest problem is Aikman and Staubach. Those 2 set a HOF standard that MOST QBs simply cannot live up to. If Romo played for most any other team, he would not have such high standards but he would also probably not have a $100 million contract so I guess its a nice trade off.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
What QB in this year's draft is better than Romo? The cowboys have plenty of holes but the QB isn't one of them. If the Cowboys had anything that remotely resembled a running game for the past 4 years Romo would be much more effective. It's hard for the offensive line to block people and for for the receivers to get open when you only run the ball 14 times per game...that's just common sense. Add that to the fact that not running the ball keeps your defense on the field too long and you're looking at another 8-8 season.
Forget it, man. I've made this argument time and time again. No one listens....

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Tony Romo Practicing For First Time Since Surgery To Remove Ovarian Cyst | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

That was funny right there uh-huh

I noticed that for one, they seem to have some depth problems on the O-Line. Drafting a 3rd round center in the 1st round probably was an attempt, but can this guy step in and be a solic player at center?

As for the running game, well, remember that a solid offensive line is needed for a solid running game.

As for QB, as I mentioned, when the QB is on the ground or being chased, it is the fault of the OL
As for Romo's talent, I really do not see him being an ace on another team. If he played for any team with a better OL he might look a little better, but he is no Flacco or Manning

I think the problem remains with the front office beyond all else.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Romo is an easy target. The fact of the matter is, the Cowboys have not been good enough to win many games in the past decade and wouldn't matter who the heck the QB was... but hey, lets take pot shots at Romo because he is the face of the franchise.. him, Jerry and Jason...

Romo's biggest problem is consistency. Some times he plays like a top 5 QB, sometimes like top 15.. He seems to have his better (top 5) games early in the season and his worst games (top 15) later in the year. It could be just coincidence or could be he chokes under pressure.. I suspect its a little of both. Regardless, he is no where near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to NFL starting QBs.

He is an absolute genius of making something out of nothing and seems always pull a rabbit out of his hat once a game. In the end, if the Cowboys lose the game, which they have done a lot of lately, no remembers the rabbit, they only remember the 4 qtr INT he threw in a desperate comeback attempt.

I have seen all the past great Cowboy QBs and Romo is no Staubach or Aikman but he has qualities of both... what he seems to lack is the discipline it takes to win consistently. He seems more interested in improving his golf handicap than improving his QB skills but perhaps that is a bit overstated. He may have more drive than both Aikman and Staubach but it doesn't show, not on his face and not on his game.

In the end, Romo's biggest problem is Aikman and Staubach. Those 2 set a HOF standard that MOST QBs simply cannot live up to. If Romo played for most any other team, he would not have such high standards but he would also probably not have a $100 million contract so I guess its a nice trade off.
Maybe they'll hear it better coming from you. They talk about Romo but ignore our putrid running game over the past 5 years. Our inability to protect him and open up lanes. Our receivers inability to stay healthy. Our defense inability to protect leads. The secondary has been a problem for Dallas since Woodson left. And we had Wade freaking Phillips coaching this team. But it's all just on one player. You can tell the difference between ESPN football fans and actual football fans. I need to put that in a sig somewhere.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
What QB in this year's draft is better than Romo? The cowboys have plenty of holes but the QB isn't one of them. .
THANK YOU. People keep saying, you need to get a new QB and replace Romo. And get WHOM? Who do people think is out there that gives us a better chance to win than Romo that is available? People kill me when they say this but they offer no solutions. Yes Romo can frustrate me. But he's also made me extremely happy as a fan.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

The Cowboys didn't do what I wanted to do by addressing the dline but outside of that, the defense last year problems was lack of getting turnovers and injuries. We lost Lee, Carter, Scandrick, Church, Ratliff, and Ware not being 100% in December. Not an excuse, but a factor. I would have liked to see them address the depth though.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
The running game looked promising last night.

Now if we could just get a consistent O-line...

Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Who was that rookie safety making plays for the Cowboys vs the Raiders??
JJ Wilcox?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football