Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times

Advertisements

The mediocrity continues. When mediocrity sticks around even after player, coaching, and scheme-changes - then you know what/who the problem is. The ethos at Valley Ranch is not football-centric and it shows up every year in the form of mediocrity. The buck stops with Jerrah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,034,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The mediocrity continues. When mediocrity sticks around even after player, coaching, and scheme-changes - then you know what/who the problem is. The ethos at Valley Ranch is not football-centric and it shows up every year in the form of mediocrity. The buck stops with Jerrah.
Reps to you! I agree with you, Jerry is definitely the main problem. I've been talking to some friends about the Cowboys today and we all agree with what you're saying. For me personally, it's very painful to watch because I've been a Cowboys fan since childhood. I'm in my 40's now so that's a long time...lol.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
I have been holding out hope that Garrett would become the new Landry. He has some of Landry's qualities but I fear he lacks more than he has. For the first time in his tenure, I am staring to get that 'maybe Jason is NOT the guy' feeling! argh.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Reps to you! I agree with you, Jerry is definitely the main problem. I've been talking to some friends about the Cowboys today and we all agree with what you're saying. For me personally, it's very painful to watch because I've been a Cowboys fan since childhood. I'm in my 40's now so that's a long time...lol.
I hear ya! I've been a fan since my youth and I am in my forties as well! Very frustrating.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM

I hate to say it, but i think Cowboy fans are getting used to losing. At least the younger ones are. I know my son (9) loves watching the Cowboys win but the losses don't hurt him much which i am grateful for but i do realize that he simply has not tasted much success.

Like some of you, I saw the Cowboys dominate during two different dynasties so I know that I am spoiled. I cut my teeth on a Landry club that went 20 years without suffering through a loosing season while winning 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls and countless division titles. The second dynasties I witnessed was much shorter lived but just as rewarding as they added 3 more Lombardi's to the Trophy case.

We are coming up on 20 years since the last time the Cowboys were even playing in the NFC Championship game (which they played in 14 of the first 26) and I fear my son and others from his generation may be on the verge of becoming akin to Cubs fans.... vast in numbers and ultimately content with mediocrity because that's all they really know! argh!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I hate to say it, but i think Cowboy fans are getting used to losing. At least the younger ones are. I know my son (9) loves watching the Cowboys win but the losses don't hurt him much which i am grateful for but i do realize that he simply has not tasted much success.

Like some of you, I saw the Cowboys dominate during two different dynasties so I know that I am spoiled. I cut my teeth on a Landry club that went 20 years without suffering through a loosing season while winning 5 NFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls and countless division titles. The second dynasties I witnessed was much shorter lived but just as rewarding as they added 3 more Lombardi's to the Trophy case.

We are coming up on 20 years since the last time the Cowboys were even playing in the NFC Championship game (which they played in 14 of the first 26) and I fear my son and others from his generation may be on the verge of becoming akin to Cubs fans.... vast in numbers and ultimately content with mediocrity because that's all they really know! argh!
I hear you! I've had a similar experience with younger fans. They just don't have the same perspective that us older fans have. I watched the Cowboys all those years when they were consistently a great football team as well. And like you said, the 90's Cowboys were great too.

I've already decided that if the Cowboys end up with another mediocre season this year, I'm done! This near life-long Cowboys fan is going to stop watching that crap...lol.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 AM

Well, i understand your motives but I can't do that. That's akin to quitting smoking.. easy to talk about but damn hard to do, at least for ME!

I made a deal with the football gods way back in '92... (If you let the Cowboys win this game, i will NEVER take winning for granted again!) I was still VERY bitter about the '81 Championship game in SF.. and it didn't help that ESPN had to freaking remind me of that game every other Sunday by showing the final TD highlights as part of their PROMO!... ARGH!!!!

So a win in the same game on the same field nearly a decade later would right what I felt was a wrong... correct an obvious WRONG Turn that the Cowboys took back then.. I got my wish and now have to bear the consequences. SO perhaps you can blame me for 20 years of Cowboys mediocrity. I guess you could say I made a deal with the devil.

Was it worth it? It was then.. not so much now!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, i understand your motives but I can't do that. That's akin to quitting smoking.. easy to talk about but damn hard to do, at least for ME!

I made a deal with the football gods way back in '92... (If you let the Cowboys win this game, i will NEVER take winning for granted again!) I was still VERY bitter about the '81 Championship game in SF.. and it didn't help that ESPN had to freaking remind me of that game every other Sunday by showing the final TD highlights as part of their PROMO!... ARGH!!!!

So a win in the same game on the same field nearly a decade later would right what I felt was a wrong... correct an obvious WRONG Turn that the Cowboys took back then.. I got my wish and now have to bear the consequences. SO perhaps you can blame me for 20 years of Cowboys mediocrity. I guess you could say I made a deal with the devil.

Was it worth it? It was then.. not so much now!
Oh yeah, I remember that '81 Championship game very well! Like you said, ESPN kept showing "the catch" over and over. I think a lot of us Cowboys fans made a deal with the devil back then...lol.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

320 posts, read 539,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I hear you! I've had a similar experience with younger fans. They just don't have the same perspective that us older fans have. I watched the Cowboys all those years when they were consistently a great football team as well. And like you said, the 90's Cowboys were great too.

I've already decided that if the Cowboys end up with another mediocre season this year, I'm done! This near life-long Cowboys fan is going to stop watching that crap...lol.
I wish that I could say the same thing. It is so hard to watch a team that has obvious talent play the way that this team plays year in and year out. To lose games the way this team loses them--(stupid penalties, turnovers at the absolute worst possible time, safeties constantly getting beat deep, no discipline, etc.)--just wears me out sometimes. I've watched a lot of football in my life but I have a hard time remembering a team that shoots itself in the foot as much as the Cowboys do. It's tough watching a game in which your favorite team is totally dominating both sides of the ball and yet still only be up by 3 points.

That being said, I still can't see myself giving up on them. Eventhough I think I've finally come to grips that this franchise will never amount to anything with the current roster of players, I can't seem to extinguish that last flicker of hope left inside of me. Since Jerry isn't going anywhere I suppose I'll have to be content with 7-9 and 8-8 seasons for a little while. It's just hard watching this team squander season after season when I've seen how long it took Dallas to recover from the Superbowl years. This team is WAY more talented than the Dave Campo coached teams but their record isn't a whole lot better. Hopefully there will be a culture change some time in the near future because other than that I honestly can't see this team winning anything substantial anytime soon. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
I am not a Cowboy fan, but I would say that the most pressing need is finding a way to do what no other team has done so far, stopping Peyton Manning when the Donkeys come to town for the Super Bowl rematch Sunday..
Manning is well accustomed to the type of defense the Cowboys are trying to run, and the Cowboys have yet to go against a team with such a successful offense. If possible, Romo needs to keep in the game, the defense being the weaker of the two sides on the Broncos.
I have a good friend there in texas who is a lifelong die-hard Cowboys fan. Like most, he is not a Jerry Jones fan, as he points out, Jones will not admit that Johnson was the driving success for the team the first time, and he refuses to listen to coaches and people who know more about putting together a winning plan than he does. It seems as long as the owner is Jones, the Cowboys will suffer as the Raiders did later on under Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football