Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a franchise QB to ultimately replace romo, and a franchise running back, some one like a tony dorset or emmit smith. and then they need help in the secondary, at least one good shut down corner.
Johnny Manziel is actually one I like. He comes cheap and is worth the risk. You need another receiver to stretch the field with Dez and you also desperately need at TE. Witten was good in the past, but he's definitely a shell of himself. He's just not a red zone threat any longer and watching him run is just painful. Terrance Williams had moments of brilliance and then had moments where he looked clueless.

You have your RB1 figured out with McFadden. I watched him run at Arkansas and he had issues staying healthy, same with the Raiders, but I was impressed to see him run all 16 games this season and finish as season. This isn't all his fault, but he had trouble finding the end zone. However, the Cowboys had trouble finding the end zone most of the season.

I fully expect Claiborne and Hardy to get walking papers as well. Also time to rebuild that secondary too, as we're all tired of seeing them get shredded. This team needs a lot of help, and I can't stand Jason Garrett as a coach either. I know it's a financial issue of why you keep him, but I totally think he has Jimmy Jones' hand so far up his arse, Jimmy's hand is also his tastebuds. He just makes me shake my head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,967,833 times
Only January touchdowns at AT&T stadium are tornadoes. Sorry.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
rubbish. the big problem this season was that without the key players, like romo and bryant, the offense wasnt moving the ball consistently, and thus the defense satyed on the field far longer than they should have. note that the cowboys were in nearly every game until the fourth quarter, and by that time the defense was pretty much gassed and had a time trying to stop the other teams offense.
I have not seen Bryan and Romo move the ball consistently in the games they played. A clear example is the loss against the Panthers.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Other than possibly the Carr contract, who else did they sign to a bad contract?
Greg Hardy had a bad contract. He played okay, but did not play as well as he did for the Panthers in the 2013 season.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I have just one belated Christmas wish...please Jerry don't go out and get Johnny Manziel. Please!!!!
The Cowboys have enough drama with Jones, Romo, Bryant, and Hardy. Manziel is not who the Cowboys need talent wise indeed.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Johnny Manziel is actually one I like. He comes cheap and is worth the risk. You need another receiver to stretch the field with Dez and you also desperately need at TE. Witten was good in the past, but he's definitely a shell of himself. He's just not a red zone threat any longer and watching him run is just painful. Terrance Williams had moments of brilliance and then had moments where he looked clueless.
not just NO to manziel, but a huge HELL NO!!!!!!! to manziel. he has too many off field issues to deal with.

williams and beasly are good receivers and complement bryant nicely, though williams has a tendency to drop passes from time to time.

as for witten, there is already a replacement for witten on the team, his name is escobar, and he has done yeomans work replacing witten when needed. there is a third tight end as well on the team that complements witten and escobar, his name escapes me right now.

Quote:
You have your RB1 figured out with McFadden. I watched him run at Arkansas and he had issues staying healthy, same with the Raiders, but I was impressed to see him run all 16 games this season and finish as season. This isn't all his fault, but he had trouble finding the end zone. However, the Cowboys had trouble finding the end zone most of the season.
mcfadden did stay healthy this season, for the most part, he did deal with minor injuries early, but none late. that said, how long will that last? dallas needs a franchise running back they can depend on game in game out, year in year out, and i dont think mcfadden is that running back. he is a solid third down back, and he can catch passes coming out of the backfield, so he is definitely one to keep around.

Quote:
I fully expect Claiborne and Hardy to get walking papers as well. Also time to rebuild that secondary too, as we're all tired of seeing them get shredded. This team needs a lot of help, and I can't stand Jason Garrett as a coach either. I know it's a financial issue of why you keep him, but I totally think he has Jimmy Jones' hand so far up his arse, Jimmy's hand is also his tastebuds. He just makes me shake my head!
a lot of people dont like claiborne, hardy, and garrett. claiborne isnt a bad corner, but might be better at free safety instead. hardy was not the dominant player he should have been, but he still has potential. as for garrett, he is still learning the head coaching position, and this is only the second season which he divested himself of much of the responsibility of calling plays, leaving that to his offensive coordinator. but this season was not a good one for garrett, given the issues the cowboys had to deal with all season long. his best season so far was last season. i wouldnt dump him just yet, though too many more bad seasons, and i wouldnt renew his contract either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have not seen Bryan and Romo move the ball consistently in the games they played. A clear example is the loss against the Panthers.
it takes time to get back into the swing of things after injuries, and given that bryant had to work with three different QBs means that his rhythm was off most of the season. and dont forget that his foot injury never really healed like it should have, but bryant being the competitor that he is, he wasnt going to stay out of the lineup if he could help it.perhaps they medical staff cleared him to play too early?

as for the loss to the panthers, they were playing lights out pretty much all season long, and with dallas out of synch, its no wonder they lost.

in the end bad seasons happen, injuries, among other things can throw a team off their rhythm, and it can be tough to get back into that rhythm. lets see what happens next season shall we?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:16 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
Quote:
not just NO to manziel, but a huge HELL NO!!!!!!! to manziel. he has too many off field issues to deal with.

williams and beasly are good receivers and complement bryant nicely, though williams has a tendency to drop passes from time to time.

as for witten, there is already a replacement for witten on the team, his name is escobar, and he has done yeomans work replacing witten when needed. there is a third tight end as well on the team that complements witten and escobar, his name escapes me right now.

mcfadden did stay healthy this season, for the most part, he did deal with minor injuries early, but none late. that said, how long will that last? dallas needs a franchise running back they can depend on game in game out, year in year out, and i dont think mcfadden is that running back. he is a solid third down back, and he can catch passes coming out of the backfield, so he is definitely one to keep around.

a lot of people dont like claiborne, hardy, and garrett. claiborne isnt a bad corner, but might be better at free safety instead. hardy was not the dominant player he should have been, but he still has potential. as for garrett, he is still learning the head coaching position, and this is only the second season which he divested himself of much of the responsibility of calling plays, leaving that to his offensive coordinator. but this season was not a good one for garrett, given the issues the cowboys had to deal with all season long. his best season so far was last season. i wouldnt dump him just yet, though too many more bad seasons, and i wouldnt renew his contract either.

it takes time to get back into the swing of things after injuries, and given that bryant had to work with three different QBs means that his rhythm was off most of the season. and dont forget that his foot injury never really healed like it should have, but bryant being the competitor that he is, he wasnt going to stay out of the lineup if he could help it.perhaps they medical staff cleared him to play too early?

as for the loss to the panthers, they were playing lights out pretty much all season long, and with dallas out of synch, its no wonder they lost.

in the end bad seasons happen, injuries, among other things can throw a team off their rhythm, and it can be tough to get back into that rhythm. lets see what happens next season shall we?
I like Manziel only because he's cheap. They can likely get him for a low level draft pick. Part of it may be his personality, but part of it may be the team he's playing for. Did you see the stat sheet on games he played in Cleveland? He had some good games that you could build some confidence. Against the Chiefs, it was basically just him trying to beat them. The Browns don't exactly have that great of an offense, even though I believe they bolster a pretty good run defense.

I'm not that sold on Romo. I think the 12-4 season was his best season. I only say that because he's getting banged up and succumbing to season ending injuries. You can't lead a team to victory from the sideline. I don't doubt his accuracy and his leadership, but those season ending injuries hurt.

I think they shook things up too much. I'm still on the fence about who to keep when it was Dez vs. Demarco. Demarco's run game was nice and Dez had a really good season last season. This year Demarco realized he's not a east and west runner and Dez spent most of the season on IR or playing injured.

Escobar was also better last year as well. They played the two headed monster of him and Witten fairly often. I just think it's time to get some new blood in this system and I truly believe it starts with Jason Garrett. Sure, Jimmy Jones is too involved in the recruiting process, but what do you do when he owns your team? Plus, I'm not convinced that Jimmy Jones is truly the problem. I've always felt that Jason Garrett was mediocre and the Cowboys outplayed themselves in 2014.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 713,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Greg Hardy had a bad contract. He played okay, but did not play as well as he did for the Panthers in the 2013 season.
And his contract wasn't close to what he got paid when he played for Carolina....he was basically paid per game this year

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM

796 posts, read 505,506 times
Cowboys need better coaching. Its sad the eagles and giants getting new coaches. They gonna look better and the Boys gonna be last place again. Depending on who the eagles select as HC, they may look like a respectable organization next year.

Romo can't stay healthy with his injuries and taking those hits. Bryant got his contract so there is no reason for him to exert himself to preform very well plus his foot injury. Jerry Jones don't know enough about football operations to 've a very successful GM. I'm always gonna be a cowboys fan but I don't see them doing another 10+ win season anytime soon. Then we have needs for a franchise RB, much better secondary, and middle LB pressure. Our receivers like T Will and Beasley are below average to average at best without Romo. Kellen Moore did better than Cassel in my opinion but he not the answer for a franchise QB. And Manziel is not the answer too. He isn't good enough in the NFL to deal with his off field issues and he has problems reading a defense. Remember his games versus the Bengals.

Too many holes to fill.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:44 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Too many holes to fill.
Fill some holes like this?

Reports: Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III want to play for the Cowboys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football