Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What is the difference between an excuse or a reason?
Perspective.
Try it.
It's an excuse because deep down they know it is murder and is wrong, but they want to do it anyway - so they have to make up "reasons" (i.e., excuses) to justify their wants.

Has nothing to do with "perspective."

You should try logic, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I guess the OP and myself must live in totally different worlds because I've never had that impression. Sure there are those that condemn suicide just as much or even more than murder but I don't have the impression that they are condemned anywhere near those who commit unlawful homicide (murder). We're talking about numbers here and to me murder is condemned a whole lot more than suicide is. Ex. Just look at the comment section on Yahoo whenever there's a story about a murder. Then look at comments when there's a suicide that makes the news. In the murder story most posters condemn the killer (maybe also bringing up mental illness). In the suicide story there are a minority that condemn the dead person for being "selfish" or "cowardly" but those are far outnumbered by posters that offer condolences and sympathy.

They are not both murders. It isn't unlawful to kill yourself. You need to look up the definition of "murder".

I think your attitude is a big reason why a lot of people don't seek help for mental illness. By your logic if someone witnesses a traumatic event and develops PTSD because of it, they're a coward because they can't face reality right?
Are you sure about that?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:02 PM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
People with treatment resistant mental illnesses should be allowed the right to assisted dying. That would prevent a lot of suicides, as most of us would choose to die painlessly, with dignity and without causing trauma to others due to a gruesome suicide method.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Are you sure about that?
Can you look up the definition of "murder" before I answer that question.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:20 PM

Those who disagree that suicide is murder - what makes it different from murder in your mind?

https://academic.oup.com/jsh/article...rectedFrom=PDF

Old 06-29-2019, 09:49 PM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't think mental health issues are caused by moral failure. I think they are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Sure, but how does that imbalance come around? humans react to their environment. If you get constantly disappointed in your reality you end up with a chemical imbalance.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Sure, but how does that imbalance come around? humans react to their environment. If you get constantly disappointed in your reality you end up with a chemical imbalance.
"Chemical imbalance" was a meme that took off - first introduced by Big Pharma to doctors to sell drugs - there is no such thing as people understand it . . .

The phenomenon is well-documented online.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 PM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I think your attitude is a big reason why a lot of people don't seek help for mental illness. By your logic if someone witnesses a traumatic event and develops PTSD because of it, they're a coward because they can't face reality right?
I was talking about minor issues. Not mental illnesses. Sorry, english is not my mother language and I thought the difference is clear.

Situations of extreme violence, be it psychological or physical, have extreme effects. Of course people that have undergone such life-changing events aren't cowards. They are afraid and they need support.
But they have to put the effort and go to a professional.

My attitude has nothing to do with how I analyze the situation here. I can assure you that there have been people who have discussed their deepest psychological problems with me, and they ended up going to a professional for help.
I take great care not to insult anyone, even in situations where people have treated me like dirt, because I have a very good understanding of how little control over their actions and words people who have witnessed traumatic events have. On the contrary, I am constantly trying to show people the positive side of the world.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I think every mental issue comes from cowardice.
In keeping with the trend of blindly attributing personality traits and intentions to people, I think that your comments regarding mental health in this forum are aimed at purposefully riling people up just for kicks. Why use such an emotive pejorative otherwise?

If I were in a more charitable mood, I'd simply dismiss it as ignorance, since it is clear how little you know of mental illness or pathology behind different psychiatric conditions.

Either way, I wonder why mental health... I've glanced at your other posts and you seem to be a little bit more discerning when it comes to other subjects. What gives? You're not a Scientologist, are you?

Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's an excuse because deep down they know it is murder and is wrong, but they want to do it anyway - so they have to make up "reasons" (i.e., excuses) to justify their wants.

Has nothing to do with "perspective."

You should try logic, though.
and you dear one just gave a shining example of perspective, obscure as it is. And MY "reason" for saying that comes from my logic. Thank you very much :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology