Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, no, no. "Y'all" is never singular. It's always more than one. But "all y'all" is EVERYONE in a group, not just two or more people in a group.

Example:

"Y'all wanna go to breakfast?"

"Sure - just the wife and me or everyone?"

"Oh, hell, ALL Y'ALL!"

(Everyone goes to IHOP, including cousins, toddlers, grandmas, the whole lot.)

Correction noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Correction noted.
Thank you.

The reason I jumped all over that is because so many people who are not from the south just assume that "southern speak" includes calling EVERYONE - as in every single person - "y'all." No this simply isn't true, and if you sashay into some place and start throwing that "y'all" word around to single persons, not only will people think you're weird, they will immediately realize that you are a damn Yankee. Or something or other, but not a southerner.

Same with "Bless your heart." I mean, sometimes that is meant genuinely, to genuinely show empathy, kindness, etc. But sometimes it's caustic. True southerners immediately grasp the context and the difference, and respond appropriately, but people from outside the south often immediately think we're being sarcastic with them, when that's simply not always the case. But it's sometimes the case! LOL

Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 PM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
"Drain the swamp" - usually those who say this are the swamp
"I don't wish to be rude, but." - yes, you most likely do wish to be rude
"Take back control" - uttered by those who believe that voting for and supporting right wing populist leaders and policies will result in them having more control

Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 AM

Bringing politics into everything seems like a lot of useless words to me.

But I digress.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:23 AM

I actually sort of like "with all due respect," because it generally means "take cover." Sort of like "I don't mean to be rude BUT..."

At least someone is verbally warning you that things are about to get crunk.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Thank you for the copy of your book. I'll waste no time reading it."

Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyPeak View Post
With all due respect, irregardless of what you think, they are necessary. I think you are beating a dead horse.
Really? I mean, at the end of the day we're just a bunch of people talking on the internet. Just sayin.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
"Thinking outside the box."

Surely someone's had to have mentioned that. There's a few other buzz words that get used in a business setting. "Table that", or "Action items."

Those are not useless, but still pretty annoying, at least to me.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I actually like all those sentences that OP posted. They are all useful and have their place in expressing our emotions.

What I hate is the phrases with no feeling or are unpersonable, like how everything tough to deal with is a "challenge." It just plain sucks. What's so terrible about an adult expressing the emotion unhappiness or dislike? Or when they're having a hard time with something? Not every bad situation is a "challenge" that needs to be overcome. It's socially unacceptable and sounds immature and whiny when you verbalize exactly how bad a situation is, a mentality I DISLIKE.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:57 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
I'm like "I don't want to go to that restaurant," and he's like, "Why not," and I'm like "Because it's too expensive," and he's like, "No it's not," and I'm like ...

Old 07-31-2019, 12:11 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, no, no. "Y'all" is never singular. It's always more than one. But "all y'all" is EVERYONE in a group, not just two or more people in a group.

Example:

"Y'all wanna go to breakfast?"

"Sure - just the wife and me or everyone?"

"Oh, hell, ALL Y'ALL!"

(Everyone goes to IHOP, including cousins, toddlers, grandmas, the whole lot.)

#truth

Except maybe Wafflehouse or Whataburger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology