Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I was listening to NPR this morning- they were talking about the kid that shot up the garlic festival. When the host asked the reporter what was known about the killer. The reporter replied that 'people don't want to talk about his name'.

His first name is Santino. That's a verifiable fact. Now... why oh why wouldn't NPR want to mention that out loud?

Then she went to to say that there was a facebook post that may or may not have been made by this 1/4 Iranian... 19-year-old edge-lord...referring to some white-power book.

Lesson: verifiable facts are to be ignored if they detract from the evil-white-male narrative. But unverified rumors are worth mentioning and discussing at length if they support the evil-white-male narrative.
But this demonstrates the kind of thinking that waves away violence by white men as #notallwhitemen. He's just troubled, it's mental illness, etc. If the shooter were black or hispanic or god forbid, Muslim, many of the same people who dismiss the idea of mass violence by white men will jump on the bandwagon that we need to shut the borders, those kind of brown people are a danger to us all.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Black males commit more murder solely because they're trapped in poverty and in inner cities. The same would be true of any race or group of people trapped in those circumstances. Those murders are usually gang related and not the same as "going postal" anyway. Totally different motivation for murder. It's not a race issue. It's a cultural issue and a male issue.
Numerous people of various ethnicities and sex are trapped in generational poverty cycles, inner city and otherwise. Your post both generalizes and patronizes.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I was listening to NPR this morning- they were talking about the kid that shot up the garlic festival. When the host asked the reporter what was known about the killer. The reporter replied that 'people don't want to talk about his name'.

His first name is Santino. That's a verifiable fact. Now... why oh why wouldn't NPR want to mention that out loud?

Then she went to to say that there was a facebook post that may or may not have been made by this 1/4 Iranian... 19-year-old edge-lord...referring to some white-power book.

Lesson: verifiable facts are to be ignored if they detract from the evil-white-male narrative. But unverified rumors are worth mentioning and discussing at length if they support the evil-white-male narrative.
I heard this report, as well. The thought behind not plastering perpetrators' names everywhere is similar to the push to not trot out their photos everywhere...celebritizing shooters and giving them their proverbial 15 minutes of fame has implications,and is something people are starting to rethink.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But this demonstrates the kind of thinking that waves away violence by white men as #notallwhitemen. He's just troubled, it's mental illness, etc. If the shooter were black or hispanic or god forbid, Muslim, many of the same people who dismiss the idea of mass violence by white men will jump on the bandwagon that we need to shut the borders, those kind of brown people are a danger to us all.
Not sure how you're making this leap.

First of all, the garlic-festival shooter isn't really white. He's part middle-eastern and part Italian. So white-ish.

Secondly, NPR basically lied by omission so as to promote their white-men-are-evil mantra. Deliberately omitting relevant and verifiable information (the shooter's name), while bringing up and 'analyzing' rumors that they said themselves were not verified.

Thirdly, I'm not minimizing white-man violence which is a very real thing. But I AM telling the truth about us Evil White Males using readily available statistics.

And those stats clearly show that in contrast to this thread's title and the media's constant white-males-are-evil drumbeat... white people are actually LESS likely than the national average to engage in mass shootings.

Truth matters. Well, it doesn't matter to ideologues including both white supremecists and SJW's. But to honest people, it should matter whether or not a claim is true.

So are you willing to take an *honest* look at this? If so, see post 54 of this thread.

Or are you just here to hate on Evil White Men?

Old 07-30-2019, 11:48 AM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Numerous people of various ethnicities and sex are trapped in generational poverty cycles, inner city and otherwise. Your post both generalizes and patronizes.
Nope. Most mass killers are male. And how am I being patronising when poverty in your country is still heavily racially linked? I'm saying that race has nothing to do with a predisposition to murder.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Nope. Most mass killers are male. And how am I being patronising when poverty in your country is still heavily racially linked? I'm saying that race has nothing to do with a predisposition to murder.
Nobody is disputing your first point. Men are VASTLY more violent than women by just about any measure you could use.

But your last statement is an article of faith. I'm not saying it isn't true... I'm just saying that it isn't proven and may not be provable. What we DO know though is that depending on whose numbers you look at, black men in the U.S. are committing murder at 6 or 7 times the rate at which white men commit murder.

Not that you'll see this fact reflected on your teevee.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:56 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Not sure how you're making this leap.

First of all, the garlic-festival shooter isn't really white. He's part middle-eastern and part Italian. So white-ish.
Since when is someone with an Italian background not white?

Old 07-30-2019, 12:45 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
This thread is rife with bickering, baiting, personal attacks, off-topic remarks, racism, sexism, you name it. I've deleted the most recent rude posts but will leave the rest of the thread intact. It's not worth salvaging. Thread closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology